Books #5 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I finished My Wife Jodie last night and I loved it. I cant really say much without giving the plot away but I would recommend it. The ending let it down in my opinion. I think it would make a great tv show or film.

Not sure what to read next. Im listening to 'Men Who Hate Women' by Laura Bates on Audible and its a really hard listen so I think I need to read something less heavy.

Reactions: 1
Finished The Governess by Wendy Holden yesterday and I came to really enjoy it! At first the narrative style and quick pacing really kept me at an emotional distance from the story, but as it progressed, it really made more sense for it to be written in that way. Will most certainly be picking up The Duchess by the same author, which is about Wallis Simpson, a woman who I'm interested in learning more about

I really enjoyed Small Pleasures. It was just such a nice book.

I am reading Stranded by Sarah Goodwin at the moment, it is a 99p Kindle book. Never heard of her or this book but I saw her commenting on Instagram and she just seemed like such a decent person it made me want to read her book. It is good so far but there are a lot of characters and I am not sure how it will pan out.
I started Stranded this morning I like to nurse a hangover with solpadene, tea, a bath and a book. 24% in and really enjoying it. I like the writing and the scenario.
Finished Stolen last week. I loved it its a proper page turner

I bought Duck Feet by Ely Percy today. Having enjoyed The Young Team by Graeme Armstrong I thought Id give it a go 😊 probably a niche one but looking forward to starting it.

• Heart
Finished Last Night at the Telegraph Club last night and.... It was really boring.

I feel awful saying it because it is so well loved and it starts to tackle some serious issues, but it never went anywhere with them?
Why introduce the threat of deportation as well as the fake ID and do nothing with that? Why were we flashing back to the parents and the aunt and nothing happened in those chapters? I'm also usually all for queer stories ending happily, I need to see some queer happiness for my own mental health, but it felt so unrealistic to have a happy ending where Lily and Kath ended up together in some form after the third act?

This is my fault again for mistaking it for an adult novel, I need to vet things better.

Haven't read it but I've only heard good things about this - interested to know what you think.
So I've finished it. Lot more sorrow than bliss. Took me a while to read and all I can say is it was alright. Quite Fleabaggy. I now need a book to lighten the mood.

Reactions: 3
Since I've caught some really good deals because of this thread (ty!), I feel inclined to update too - if anyone was hoping to read White Teeth, or Kindred, they're both only 99p right now! Catch it while you can, only a couple hours left!

I actually didn't love Kindred, but can see why it might work for others, so I'm still going to share!

Reactions: 2
Hi all, I contributed to this lovely little community in the first couple of threads and got so many good recommendations from you all! Excited to get stuck back in again but before I catch up, I had to come straight here and ask… has anybody read True Crime Story by Joseph Knox? I’ve just finished it and I NEED to discuss it!! Honestly feel bereft it’s finished - I was so involved! Highly recommend!

Reactions: 5
Hi all, I contributed to this lovely little community in the first couple of threads and got so many good recommendations from you all! Excited to get stuck back in again but before I catch up, I had to come straight here and ask… has anybody read True Crime Story by Joseph Knox? I’ve just finished it and I NEED to discuss it!! Honestly feel bereft it’s finished - I was so involved! Highly recommend!
Got this on my kindle so will bump it up the TBR pile. I’ve really liked his other books

Im a bit peed off actually. Since Brexit I cant download my books from Amazon Uk I have to use the US site. I don't live in the UK just to clarify things.

• Sad
Reactions: 5
When we were overseas I used a VPN to get around this. Where are you? Expressvpn never let down.
Im a bit peed off actually. Since Brexit I cant download my books from Amazon Uk I have to use the US site. I don't live in the UK just to clarify things.

When we were overseas I used a VPN to get around this. Where are you? Expressvpn never let down.
I live in Malta. Its no biggie cos they are about the same price I just like to have a moan about Brexit. So how do I get a VPN??? It would be nice to get them from the UK cos I think there is more choice.

Reactions: 2
Oh that’s so annoying! I’m in Australia and have a UK kindle account with no problems. Using an Aus credit card and all too. Is it some weird post brexit eu thing?

Oh that’s so annoying! I’m in Australia and have a UK kindle account with no problems. Using an Aus credit card and all too. Is it some weird post brexit eu thing?
It seems to be since Brexit occurred. Very strange.

• Sad
Worth while having books on an amazon wishlist. I got an email to say they were giving me 40% off one of the items. It was Beartown so I finally bought it!

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Worth while having books on an amazon wishlist. I got an email to say they were giving me 40% off one of the items. It was Beartown so I finally bought it!
This happened to me too! But it was a book I’d been gifted the paperback version of and forgot to remove it from my wishlist so I was very disappointed 😂

This happened to me too! But it was a book I’d been gifted the paperback version of and forgot to remove it from my wishlist so I was very disappointed 😂
Oh thats so gutting. It is annoying that when you buy it, it doesnt remove itself from the list.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.