Books #5 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Have any of you abandoned a book before? I was always taught to carry on books even if I disliked them and I’ve only ever abandoned one book before (Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively), Christ I even read Milkman and that was the worst book ever!
I’m currently reading Bee Keeper of Aleppo and I know it’s an important book but I’m finding it a bit, well the writing is good and then it zones me out. I’ve just finished chapter 3, does it get better?
ive recently started, I’ve never done it before but then my fiancé was like what’s the point of struggling on? Books are meant to be enjoyed no? You are wasting your own time. So now if I REALLY don’t like it, I just close it. 🖤

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Have any of you abandoned a book before? I was always taught to carry on books even if I disliked them and I’ve only ever abandoned one book before (Moon Tiger by Penelope Lively), Christ I even read Milkman and that was the worst book ever!
I’m currently reading Bee Keeper of Aleppo and I know it’s an important book but I’m finding it a bit, well the writing is good and then it zones me out. I’ve just finished chapter 3, does it get better?
I happily abandon books now, I used to struggle through despite not enjoying them (or downright hating them, looking at you The Little Friend by Donna Tartt) but then I realised life is short and my TBR is long. Depending how far I'm along I might skim through to the end reading a word per page. I still always feel guilty for the author but they've been paid either way! (Although Kindle Unlimited authors get paid per page read so unless you skim they won't get paid!)

• Heart
Reactions: 4
It’s an important topic, not an important book. The way it’s written really really made me dislike it! Don’t get the hype so yeah put it down!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Hey I’m new to the book thread! I’ve enjoyed reading all of your posts and excited to read some of your recs.
I’m relatively new to reading for fun, I started a year ago due to various lockdowns, reading about 30 books last year. Currently at 31 books for this year and still loving it!
I just finished read The Book Thief and absolutely loved it, had a good cry.
Some of my favourite books that I’ve read include The Song of Achilles and The Penelopiad. And I have enjoyed thrillers like American Psycho. This is just a post to say hey, and I’d love to hear more recommendations!
What are your favourite books of all time?

Reactions: 11
I give a book 20% and if it is still not grabbing me, I quit. There are too many good books out there to persevere with ones I am not enjoying.

Beekeeper of Aleppo was too wordy for me. It felt like every sentence had about six words too many or something.

I have two favourites of all time

The Wind-up Bird Chronicle by Haruki Murakami
and
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith

And welcome to the thread!

I used to always plough on even if I hated it. Now, I have way too many books on my TBR for that 😆 if I’m not enjoying it I move on to something else. Life’s too short.

Reactions: 2
Complete genre change for me now, The Women of Troy was a 4* read and now I'm getting stuck into Into the Drowning Deep by Mira Grant.

Reactions: 1
Hey I’m new to the book thread! I’ve enjoyed reading all of your posts and excited to read some of your recs.
I’m relatively new to reading for fun, I started a year ago due to various lockdowns, reading about 30 books last year. Currently at 31 books for this year and still loving it!
Some of my favourite books that I’ve read include The Song of Achilles and The Penelopiad. And I have enjoyed thrillers like American Psycho. This is just a post to say hey, and I’d love to hear more recommendations!
The Book Thief is so good. I also really enjoyed the movie

Reactions: 3
Recently read The Guest List and the Hunting Party, they are almost carbon copies of each other, but still very enjoyable in an easy reading kind of way.

The character of Miranda in the Hunting Party, I can't visualise her as anyone else but Amanda from Motherland

Reactions: 5
Too hard to pick a fave book of all time, three that I've loved and recommended to others are:

The Hearts Invisible Furies
I Am Pilgrim
A Thousand Splendid Suns

Just finished Claire Mackintosh - Hostage - very good book, i didnt see the ending coming.

Note, in case anyone notices I've finished 2 books in as many days - i'm on my holidays! For any typos, i'm gonna blame the spanish sun!

Reactions: 9
Too hard to pick a fave book of all time, three that I've loved and recommended to others are:

The Hearts Invisible Furies
I Am Pilgrim
A Thousand Splendid Suns

Just finished Claire Mackintosh - Hostage - very good book, i didnt see the ending coming.

Note, in case anyone notices I've finished 2 books in as many days - i'm on my holidays! For any typos, i'm gonna blame the spanish sun!
Holiday abroad, sounds fantastic must be such a refreshing change!
I was away in Denmark last week for work, it's like a different planet there, they are so relaxed!

Sorry for going OT

Recently read The Guest List and the Hunting Party, they are almost carbon copies of each other, but still very enjoyable in an easy reading kind of way.
I enjoyed them but agree the format was pretty much the same for both of them. I think she has a new book out next year so I’m curious to see what it will be like

Beekeeper of Aleppo was too wordy for me. It felt like every sentence had about six words too many or something.
Wouldn’t be too bad but there seems to be a reference to bees/beekeeping/honey/et al in every other paragraph!

Have to say the Millennium Series by Stig Larson. Haven’t read the newest ones but the original three are great, I love them.

Reactions: 2
Hello!

If you liked the Song of Achillies and Penelopiad you might like The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker. It's the first in a trilogy. I have bought it and the second (Women of Troy) and they're waiting in my TBR so can't give a review yet. But when I do read them I shall report back!

Hello!

If you liked the Song of Achillies and Penelopiad you might like The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker. It's the first in a trilogy. I have bought it and the second (Women of Troy) and they're waiting in my TBR so can't give a review yet. But when I do read them I shall report back!
To add to this here are some more greek myth inspired books I've read:

Circe by Madeline Miller
Ariadne by Jennifer Saint (this made me internally scream at Theseus)
A Thousand Ships by Natalie Haynes

Some I've not read but are on my TBR:
The Children of Jocasta by Natalie Haynes
Wake Siren, Ovid Resung by Nina MacLaughlin
The Wolf Den by Elodie Harper
Daughters of Sparta by Claire Heywood

One historical fiction book that had a similar evocative style to Madeline Miller is The Mercies by Kiran Millwood Hargrave

I finished His and Hers by Alice Feeney earlier.

I wanted to enjoy it more than I actually did. Felt a bit confusing in some places and I felt like some ideas for the book seemed to have been plucked from nowhere? Be interested to hear what others thought if they’ve read it?

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.