Books #4 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Happy Amazon first reads day!! :love:

Why can't they give 2 away this month! I have narrowed my choices down to:
Constance
Life, Unscheduled
and These toxic things.

I will have a think over which one I want as all 3 sound good.

Reactions: 3
Happy Amazon first reads day!! :love:

Why can't they give 2 away this month! I have narrowed my choices down to:
Constance
Life, Unscheduled
and These toxic things.

I will have a think over which one I want as all 3 sound good.
I think I’m going to go for Constance. I was tempted by These Toxic Things but the one 1 star review on Amazon has put me off. I think I’ll wait to hear some good things about it before reading that one.

Reactions: 2
I think I’m going to go for Constance. I was tempted by These Toxic Things but the one 1 star review on Amazon has put me off. I think I’ll wait to hear some good things about it before reading that one.
I've gone for Constance. It is more my sort of book. I'm about half way through six guests. I am struggling with it and I feel so bad as I brought it off a facebook ad. And mentioned it here!

I've gone for Constance. It is more my sort of book. I'm about half way through six guests. I am struggling with it and I feel so bad as I brought it off a facebook ad. And mentioned it here!
Yup I was lured in by it too - same places, Facebook and on here. How far through are you? It took me till about 70% to start to care about what happened.

I’m 18% of the way through The Best of Friends by Lucinda Berry then I’ll start Constance.

Reactions: 1
Yup I was lured in by it too - same places, Facebook and on here. How far through are you? It took me till about 70% to start to care about what happened.

I’m 18% of the way through The Best of Friends by Lucinda Berry then I’ll start Constance.
56% I want to try and get it over and done with so I can move on to a new book. I've been in such a reading slump.

Oh yeah reading friends - house purchase fell through lol so guess who is back on the books 😂 😂

• Sad
56% I want to try and get it over and done with so I can move on to a new book. I've been in such a reading slump.

Oh yeah reading friends - house purchase fell through lol so guess who is back on the books 😂 😂
Sorry to hear about the purchase not going ahead. But silver lining, more time for books!

Keep pushing for a little longer and the pace seems to pick up. Please let me know when you finish and what you thought of the ending!

Oh no, that’s a shame. Are you selling too or just buying?

Reactions: 4
Curious to if you all finish books even if you are not enjoying them?

I used to but am more strict now and will quit if I'm really not liking one. I might go back to it a while after to give it another chance to see if it's because of what mood I was in at the time, but only if it was one that I had been excited about.

Reactions: 5

I used to but am more strict now and will quit if I'm really not liking one. I might go back to it a while after to give it another chance to see if it's because of what mood I was in at the time, but only if it was one that I had been excited about.
I’ve got to really hate it to give up on a book. I like to know how things end even if I’m not enjoying so will plough on - same with films. I don’t like leaving things unfinished. Only one I’ve given up on in recent years has been Normal People.

Reactions: 8

I have to really, really hate something to give up on it. I actually made it my goal at one point to be stricter with books and stop reading them after a certain % if I wasn’t enjoying it but I’ve failed on that goal 😅 I don’t even know why I can’t give up!

No because then how would i work out what’s really good. Plus i read too much to give up on books 😂😂 and if I’ve got it, I might as well read it 😂😂

If after 80-100 or so pages I really dislike something I will put it down. Sometimes I end up returning to it after a while but mostly I don’t. ‘Life is too short to read books you don’t like’ is basically my approach 😆

If I own a physical copy, then most likely I'll finish it! I ploughed through all almost 700 pages of 'A Discovery of Witches' just because I'd bought the whole trilogy, even though I wasn't loving it, but I did manage to stop torturing myself on the second book, about 50 pages in

But e-books, library books - although I still dislike giving up, it's a little easier (although I often just tell myself I'm taking 'a break' from the book, just leading to a bunch of books half read still on my goodreads currently reading)

I always finish books even if I'm not enjoying them because I still always feel I get something from them and it makes others seem even better in comparison! There have only been two times I think I've not finished a book I've started, and one was because I lost it!

I also chose Constance for my first reads this month but I did think nearly all of the options sounded good which is unusual for me!

I started how to kill your family the other day but haven't had much time to read it as been busy. It's okay so far, some of the writing makes me roll my eyes a bit but it's an easy going read.

Sorry to hear about the purchase not going ahead. But silver lining, more time for books!

Keep pushing for a little longer and the pace seems to pick up. Please let me know when you finish and what you thought of the ending!
Definitely a silver lining. I got to 74% last night. Hopefully work will be kind to me today so I can sneak some reading in! You are right it does seem to pick up now.

Oh no, that’s a shame. Are you selling too or just buying?
I'm only buying thankfully so nothing too stressful. But I'm left to deal with every single part of it which is making it harder to balance things!

I don't think I've given up on many books before in all honesty. I try to keep going and they end up being ok.

I always try to read at least half of the book before ditching it, some books get interesting further in. Especially if it's a book i bought lol, sometimes i leave library books unfinished and re-read them in a year or two.

Reactions: 2
Okay I've finished six guests. I don't know really the ending was a bit of a twist and it definitely picked up but 2 stars at best for me.
My favourite character was also Fuzzy 😂

I started how to kill your family the other day but haven't had much time to read it as been busy. It's okay so far, some of the writing makes me roll my eyes a bit but it's an easy going read.
Oh that’s a shame I’ve been looking forward to this, I had high expectations! It’s next on my list.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.