Books #4 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Malibu was good for the first 1/3 of the book, it had promise, and then she seemed to decide she didn’t give a crap about continuing with a plot and I’ve no idea what happened after that. 🥴
I haven’t loved any of her books to be fair. so it might just be me.

finished worst idea ever. Enjoyable! Now to find a new book 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🙈🙈🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ Yelp
glad you overcame your PTSD ;) Thanks for your opinion on "Worst Idea Ever", I agree with your view on her books often following the same pattern.

I recently read The Couple on Cedar Close and enjoyed it.

Reactions: 1
I finished How to Kill Your Family. I'd give it 3.5/5 stars. Easy to read and becomes more gripping as it goes on.

HOWEVER
Bella inserts far too much of herself into Grace and it really does make your eyes roll. I'm also suitably enraged that Grace is thwarted in the end by a man. But then I suppose you're meant to be angry and reflect on why you were ever rooting for Grace anyway!
I agree about the ending,
but it didn’t really make me reconsider why I was rooting for Grace. I felt zero empathy for the man (can’t even remember his name) especially the part where he said the situation was worse for him?! He just seemed like a spoiled narcissistic snob and I would’ve loved if there was an extra twist where he got caught. If he had been a more likeable character then I might not have minded Grace getting her comeuppance.

Apart from that I found it easy to empathise with Grace despite everything. The family were horrible, and I didn’t even feel bad about her killing the less offensive characters (the cousin and half sister) because seeing them from her point of view made them seem expendable anyway. Like they shouldn’t have died but I didn’t feel convinced that I should be rooting for them to live either. Disclaimer: I’m not an advocate for murder obviously 😂, I just think the way Grace was written vs the other characters is either testament to Bella Mackie’s skills of writing as a psychopath or indication she needs to work on developing her side characters more 😂

I did find aspects of the book ridiculous and implausible but I suppose the premise warned me of that; I didn’t mind that it was silly because it was fun. Though I did find Grace’s naivety in prison unbelievable considering how well she had covered up the murders. I saw the cellmate twist coming a mile away though assumed it was leading to blackmail or the police using the evidence
Sorry for the long spoiler post! I did find the book particularly interesting. I also live under a rock so have never heard of Bella Mackie before now and went into the book without any preconceptions.

Just finished “Last Night”, was a good, easy read. I enjoyed it, might have a little crush on the brother now 🙈.

My next read is “Small Pleasures” by Clare Chambers.

Reactions: 4
I agree about the ending,
but it didn’t really make me reconsider why I was rooting for Grace. I felt zero empathy for the man (can’t even remember his name) especially the part where he said the situation was worse for him?! He just seemed like a spoiled narcissistic snob and I would’ve loved if there was an extra twist where he got caught. If he had been a more likeable character then I might not have minded Grace getting her comeuppance.

Apart from that I found it easy to empathise with Grace despite everything. The family were horrible, and I didn’t even feel bad about her killing the less offensive characters (the cousin and half sister) because seeing them from her point of view made them seem expendable anyway. Like they shouldn’t have died but I didn’t feel convinced that I should be rooting for them to live either. Disclaimer: I’m not an advocate for murder obviously 😂, I just think the way Grace was written vs the other characters is either testament to Bella Mackie’s skills of writing as a psychopath or indication she needs to work on developing her side characters more 😂

I did find aspects of the book ridiculous and implausible but I suppose the premise warned me of that; I didn’t mind that it was silly because it was fun. Though I did find Grace’s naivety in prison unbelievable considering how well she had covered up the murders. I saw the cellmate twist coming a mile away though assumed it was leading to blackmail or the police using the evidence
Sorry for the long spoiler post! I did find the book particularly interesting. I also live under a rock so have never heard of Bella Mackie before now and went into the book without any preconceptions.
Yep pretty much agree with everything you said I can just never be arsed to type it out and proper think about it 😂 and tbf i don't know Bella that well but sometimes leftie authors lay it on a bit thick 🙄 and I am a leftie myself 😂

Jesus, I tried to read adults by Emma Jane Unsworth.
nope, not a chance in hell im subjecting myself to that rubbish.
I HATE PICKING NEW BOOKS 😩😩😩😩😩

Reactions: 7
how about "sweet sorrow" by David nickels?

I just read "beautiful day" by Erin hildebrand and can recommend it! good for summer, as it is about a summer wedding. it's about a family, their past and present.

Ooo dear, I’ve got this on my kindle… 😂😂
Must say I’m 40% through away with the penguins and I’m not sure why it’s got the hype it did but maybe it comes in the last parts of the book

Reactions: 3
how about "sweet sorrow" by David nickels?

I just read "beautiful day" by Erin hildebrand and can recommend it! good for summer, as it is about a summer wedding. it's about a family, their past and present.
read all her books 😂 some I wish I’d missed 🙈 but overall i feel if you like Nantucket and beaches you’ll like her 😂

All except this one 😮 99p deal and it looks like!

Ooo dear, I’ve got this on my kindle… 😂😂
Must say I’m 40% through away with the penguins and I’m not sure why it’s got the hype it did but maybe it comes in the last parts of the book
Its. So. So. So. So. Including. Full. Stops. For. Dramatic. Effect.
So. Bad.

oh forgot to link the book, I’m tempted 🙈 help.........

Amazon product

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 2
Has anyone read The Paris Connection? Saw an ad for it on Kindle, and given I'm moving to France soon, I'm loving all things French right now!

read all her books 😂 some I wish I’d missed 🙈 but overall i feel if you like Nantucket and beaches you’ll like her 😂

All except this one 😮 99p deal and it looks like!

Its. So. So. So. So. Including. Full. Stops. For. Dramatic. Effect.
So. Bad.

oh forgot to link the book, I’m tempted 🙈 help.........

Amazon product
99p? Get it! you probably make a profit considering inflation ;)

Has anyone read The Paris Connection? Saw an ad for it on Kindle, and given I'm moving to France soon, I'm loving all things French right now!
It’s in my TBR pile …with a million other books 🙈
It’s only 99p on Kindle at the moment!
Good luck with your move, I’m so jealous 😊

• Heart
It’s in my TBR pile …with a million other books 🙈
It’s only 99p on Kindle at the moment!
Good luck with your move, I’m so jealous 😊
Thank you! I've taken the plunge (I'm going to be in Rouen, so basically living out my Simone de Beauvoir dreams not far from Paris 😂)

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Nearly finished The Last Thing He Told Me, at 90%. It's been ok so far but not as good as I expected based on the hype around it. I'm intrigued to see how it ends but not that invested.

If I own a physical copy, then most likely I'll finish it! I ploughed through all almost 700 pages of 'A Discovery of Witches' just because I'd bought the whole trilogy, even though I wasn't loving it, but I did manage to stop torturing myself on the second book, about 50 pages in

But e-books, library books - although I still dislike giving up, it's a little easier (although I often just tell myself I'm taking 'a break' from the book, just leading to a bunch of books half read still on my goodreads currently reading)
same I have so many I've started on my currently reading that I think maybe I'll go back to them 😂 should probably stop kidding myself and delete them

Last edited:
  • Haha
Evening all I’m so glad I’ve found this thread! I’m an absolute book maniac. I’ve read 41 books this year and the most recent were “the frequency of us“ (weird) “after the end” (quite odd) “the vanishing half” “girl woman other” “ the sea gate “ (fantastic) “American dirt” “ people like her” and I’m currently reading “the other son”
which the push is everyone reading? Two come up with same name
i am quite frankly ashamed at my TBR pile (or piles, all over house and about 400 on kindle)
I think I’ve found my people 👌🏼

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Evening all I’m so glad I’ve found this thread! I’m an absolute book maniac. I’ve read 41 books this year and the most recent were “the frequency of us“ (weird) “after the end” (quite odd) “the vanishing half” “girl woman other” “ the sea gate “ (fantastic) “American dirt” “ people like her” and I’m currently reading “the other son”
which the push is everyone reading? Two come up with same name
i am quite frankly ashamed at my TBR pile (or piles, all over house and about 400 on kindle)
I think I’ve found my people 👌🏼
Welcome, settle in - all book lovers welcome!

The Push most read here is The Push by Ashley Audrain.

Reactions: 6
Ive just finished Cara Hunter - The Whole Truth. So many characters. There was a recap at the start but I still really struggled to follow who was who. I know it is a series of books so probably my own fault for buying it but it was 99p and sounded good. Still an enjoyable read though. Id give it 3.5 out of 5.

Ive started Hallie Rubenhold - The Five on Audible. I put it on this morning while walking the dog and wow. I am loving it. I have had it on my audible list for a while and have put it off as Im not super keen on historical stuff but I have found is v engaging and interesting. Not boring or stuffy at all. Ill report back as I go on with it.

So I read flowers for algernon yesterday and today. A really great book, I think because I'd read the summary ages ago it didn't pack quite the punch it might have done but a great read nonetheless.

Now I'm on a real upswing with reading (3 books in a week!) I'm gonna attempt wuthering heights again 😂

I've been reading 'The Stranger in the Dower House' on my e-reader for the past couple nights right before bed, and it is right up my street.
Gonna finish off the last hundred pages of my current read 'The Betrayals' by Bridget Collins, really been enjoying this one.

Really feeling good about August as a reading month. Don't wanna jinx myself, but I'm getting a really good vibe!

Yep pretty much agree with everything you said I can just never be arsed to type it out and proper think about it 😂 and tbf i don't know Bella that well but sometimes leftie authors lay it on a bit thick 🙄 and I am a leftie myself 😂
I cant bring myself to read bellas book. I used to like her on social media and i was a fan of greg james but now i find them both so pretentious i just cant deal

Also reading your spoilers the premise doesnt surprise me as bella seems to hate everything about life ! 😂

Curious to if you all finish books even if you are not enjoying them?

I used to but am more strict now and will quit if I'm really not liking one. I might go back to it a while after to give it another chance to see if it's because of what mood I was in at the time, but only if it was one that I had been excited about.
I used to be a stickler for finishing books but then I wasted 4 hours of my life on a Jilly Cooper book 25 years ago and I'm still angry about it so no, if I'm not enjoying it I stop reading. I loved An American Marriage but did give up on Silver Sparrow by the same author

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.