Books #4 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
If I’ve paid for a book I finish it 😂 most of the time I will anyway, I read quickly enough to hate read if I must 😂
the most I’ve read in a day is two books. Now I’m on audio I’m flying through them. I’m convincing myself this is being productive.

I want amazon first reads day 🙁

oh I never updated on ghosts!
i liked it, I didn’t think I would for some reason but I really enjoyed her writing style and language, it’s a really good book to “read” on audio I thought. It’s more like a friend talking than a book book?

no spoilers so....

Jesus bleeping Christ I hated Max, I hated that she kept going back to him, I hated her relationships with men in general, I can get staying friends with an ex but this wasn’t realistic, I think she was trying to show how difficult it is to negotiate dating etc but it just wasn’t realistic, and THEN we get to the neighbour, so unnecessary, randomly have sex with the weird guy you think might be a murderer, I lost respect for her and the book at that point 😐 even Lola’s hookups and relationships seemed like an exaggeration, why did every single one end with ghosting and a crazy obsessed woman tracking them down, it was pretty obvious what was going to happen with her storyline. There was a real victim narrative with all relationships in this book tbh.
the dementia storyline was heartbreaking and I did like how she dealt with that, both from her point of view and her mums.
overall really liked it. Easy read/listen

Reactions: 5
Okay I've finished six guests. I don't know really the ending was a bit of a twist and it definitely picked up but 2 stars at best for me.
My favourite character was also Fuzzy 😂
I don’t know if you were the same but when the killer was revealed, I didn’t have a clue who it was! I had to search the name back to see if we’d even heard of him before. It was meant to be this big ‘woah didn’t expect that’ moment but I felt so let down as I had no attachments to the killer at all. If it had stuck with the expected storyline of who it had been I think I would have been more on board. It all just felt so pointless.

Also, when you said your favourite character was Fuzzy the other day I had to stop myself for giving you a spoiler about when he gets attacked towards the end!

Reactions: 1
56% I want to try and get it over and done with so I can move on to a new book. I've been in such a reading slump.

Oh yeah reading friends - house purchase fell through lol so guess who is back on the books 😂 😂
I'm so sorry!! Hopefully this works out for the best, my sisters purchas fell through the day before they signed papers a few years ago, she was devastated, turned out it was the best thing that could have happened and they’re in a much better place now. So fingers crossed things will work out ok ❤
until then glad you have reading and tattle time back 😉

Reactions: 2
I don’t know if you were the same but when the killer was revealed, I didn’t have a clue who it was! I had to search the name back to see if we’d even heard of him before. It was meant to be this big ‘woah didn’t expect that’ moment but I felt so let down as I had no attachments to the killer at all. If it had stuck with the expected storyline of who it had been I think I would have been more on board. It all just felt so pointless.

Also, when you said your favourite character was Fuzzy the other day I had to stop myself for giving you a spoiler about when he gets attacked towards the end!
I agree!!
I was a bit like huh? Why would they be the killer? Fuzzy's dramatic attack broke my heart. It was an interesting premise. Spin on the old classic who dunnit with the covid twist. I guess it could have been worse 😂
I'm glad I managed to finish reading it though. That was number 33 for the year. I'm starting to wonder if I will hit 52 as hoped...

@Oohthedrama - Thank you! I know we would have been messed about for a long time whilst they found somewhere so it is definitely for the best. I feel like I'm going through a bad break up 😂

I'm reading a short story now through Amazon prime reading. Graceful burdens by Roxanne Gay. I'm going away this weekend just me and my husband so no son or MIL duties! I am hoping to start Constance then.

Reactions: 3

I agree with you both!

I always finish a book, even if I hate it. I am weirdly obsessed with my Goodreads challenge and I can’t bear the thought of not finding out the answers 😂

I finished The Wolf Den. It was quite good. It was more character driven and at times the plot felt a bit slow, and it also felt weirdly modern for a book set in ancient Pompeii? I had initially given the book 3 stars as it felt a bit unfinished but I’ve just realised it’s a trilogy so I’ve upped my review to 4 stars and will read the next one.

Edited to say I asked my partner to choose my next book for me and he’s selected Tell Me Your Secret by Dorothy Koomson.

Reactions: 8
I've been binge reading since taking up free kindle unlimited for 3 months. I downloaded all of Patricia McDonald's books and read 4 (I think). Had another 3 to read but returned them all in favour of Mary Ellen Taylor books. Although the books were good and she told an interesting story, I ended up skimming some parts which I felt were just not necessary. That's what I do if I'm losing interest in a book, skim read and I usually get the whole picture at the end. I did try some book recently, need to find which one, read 2 chapters and returned without regret. I just knew that I didn't have the patience and the author didn't grab me with her story telling either.

Blood Orange and Away with the Penguins are 85p on kindle today, are either worth a read, the reviews are very mixed.

Last edited:
I was away for a few days so didnt get much reading done. 2 kids interfere so much with my reading when I cant plug them into an electronic babysitter. How rude!

I finished Poverty Safari on audible and didnt like it at all.

I started Cara Hunter - The Whole Truth, got it on a 99p kindle daily deal. Enjoying it so far. Im sure Ive read one of these DI Fawley books but I cannot remember the details.

I ordered Ghosts when it was on 99p. I gave Everything I know about love 3 stars on good reads but that was a memoir so will give Ghosts a chance.

I've decided to do the same!

Also, I've just seen that 'Panchinko' is free for prime readers, and I've seen it a lot on booktube, has anyone read it and do you recommend?
me, I loved it! Would 100% recommend.

Curious to if you all finish books even if you are not enjoying them?

I used to but am more strict now and will quit if I'm really not liking one. I might go back to it a while after to give it another chance to see if it's because of what mood I was in at the time, but only if it was one that I had been excited about.
I used to force myself to finish books even if I wasn’t enjoying them. Then my OH said what’s the point, your wasting your time on something you don’t like, now I just stop reading, changed my life 🙈.

Daisy Jones and the Six - found it very boring and predictable, ⭐⭐ At most. Lots of people raving about Malibu Rising - is it of a similar ilk?

I would like to recommend anything my John Boyne , I’m yet to read a book of his that I haven’t enjoyed, and the Nightingale by Kristen Hannah.

I read 3 short stories in the end yesterday. I quite enjoyed them and found it refreshing. I would definitely recommend anyone with Amazon checks out prime reading as I found them all there!

If I’ve paid for a book I finish it 😂 most of the time I will anyway, I read quickly enough to hate read if I must 😂
the most I’ve read in a day is two books. Now I’m on audio I’m flying through them. I’m convincing myself this is being productive.

I want amazon first reads day 🙁

oh I never updated on ghosts!
i liked it, I didn’t think I would for some reason but I really enjoyed her writing style and language, it’s a really good book to “read” on audio I thought. It’s more like a friend talking than a book book?

no spoilers so....
Thanks for this interesting review ❤

Finally returned to Worst Idea Ever by Jane Fallon.
Should be finished today and really enjoying it so far. 😌🥴

Finally! Keen to hear your thoughts. I still vaguely remember it
honestly, I’m enjoying it but......

her books all follow the same pattern, knew from very early on what was going to happen and that Lydia would be behind it, it’s always a jealous friend trying to destroy main characters life and I so wished it would be different this time 🤦🏻‍♀️ Her books are always enjoyable but I was disappointed by that so it’s annoyed me enough to give it nothing more than a 2/3 star so far 😂 still not finished however! Probably tonight. ☺

me, I loved it! Would 100% recommend.
ahh thanks!! I'm so tempted to buy a physical copy... I know that I shouldn't because I can read it for free buuut... 🙈it really sounds so good and I want more diverse fiction in my collection... gonna have to think about it

I finished How to Kill Your Family. I'd give it 3.5/5 stars. Easy to read and becomes more gripping as it goes on.

HOWEVER
Bella inserts far too much of herself into Grace and it really does make your eyes roll. I'm also suitably enraged that Grace is thwarted in the end by a man. But then I suppose you're meant to be angry and reflect on why you were ever rooting for Grace anyway!

Daisy Jones and the Six - found it very boring and predictable, ⭐⭐ At most. Lots of people raving about Malibu Rising - is it of a similar ilk?

I would like to recommend anything my John Boyne , I’m yet to read a book of his that I haven’t enjoyed, and the Nightingale by Kristen Hannah.
Malibu was good for the first 1/3 of the book, it had promise, and then she seemed to decide she didn’t give a crap about continuing with a plot and I’ve no idea what happened after that. 🥴
I haven’t loved any of her books to be fair. so it might just be me.

finished worst idea ever. Enjoyable! Now to find a new book 🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️🙈🙈🤦‍♀️🤦‍♀️ Yelp

Reactions: 4
I’ve started “the summer job” by Lizzy Dent tonight. I’m hoping I can finish it off so while I’m away I can read Constance.

P.S internet overlord and marketing agencies. Please stop sending me book adverts everywhere I go. Instagram, Facebook, news online 😭

They are non stop and I don’t trust you after my last book 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.