Books #4 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I finished Ghosts by Dolly Atherton the other day and really enjoyed it. We're a similar age but I've been in the same relationship since my 20s so online dating has passed me by a bit.

The writing made me laugh and reminded me of a millennial Bridget Jones. Ghosts were everywhere in Nina's life: her life with her parents, in her present with her friends and lovers. I'd definitely pick up another one of Dolly's books.

And I got my copy out the library so am much better than you all 😝 (not really, just a little joke. I don't mind nor care where people get books from xx).

Reactions: 5
I finished Ghosts by Dolly Atherton the other day and really enjoyed it. We're a similar age but I've been in the same relationship since my 20s so online dating has passed me by a bit.

The writing made me laugh and reminded me of a millennial Bridget Jones. Ghosts were everywhere in Nina's life: her life with her parents, in her present with her friends and lovers. I'd definitely pick up another one of Dolly's books.

And I got my copy out the library so am much better than you all 😝 (not really, just a little joke. I don't mind nor care where people get books from xx).
I’m just finished it on library audio as well. 😂 never say no to a free price tag!

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I finished The First Day Of Spring by Nancy Tucker this morning and wondered if anyone else had read it? It’s not the kind of book that you can say you enjoyed but I thought it was quite good - it’s sold as a crime thriller but is more a novel about a woman who killed a child when she was also a child (not a spoiler, you find this out in chapter one …) and the impacts of this on her adult life. It deals with some similar issues to Girl A but I thought it was a better novel that addressed issues like child neglect in a more realistic way. The only thing that did irritate me a bit was something that I’ve noticed in quite a few British novels with younger authors, in that that they seem to have read an awful lot of Jacqueline Wilson as children and copy that style whenever they’re writing in a child’s voice.

Reactions: 1
I finished the girl with all the gifts this afternoon. Thought it was absolutely amazing!

• Heart

What did you think about her relationship with Max? And about how she handled the ghosting? And her friend's experience?

I’m just finished it on library audio as well. 😂 never say no to a free price tag!
ni
What did you think? WAs the story believable to you and the main character (Nina) likeable?

I see a lot of posts about Girl A but there seems to be a few with that title so which one is everyone referring to? 🤷‍♀️
This is the one that I read and it still disturbs me tbh.

[
What happened was too close to the Jamie Bulger case 😔😔😔/ISPOILER]
Screenshot_20210731_193335_com.amazon.mShop.android.shopping.jpg

Reactions: 4
What did you think about her relationship with Max? And about how she handled the ghosting? And her friend's experience?

ni
What did you think? WAs the story believable to you and the main character (Nina) likeable?
I thought her relationship with Max was quite romantised. At times Nina reflected on how they had only done things together and rarely met up around other people. Their meeting with Joe was quite disasterous (at first I thought it was an ex thing but then realised it was a good example of how self absorbed Max was by not reading any of Nina's work). Personally I would have punched both Max and Jethro in the face so she handled better than I would have 🤣

Reactions: 2
Just finished “Lolita”. Disturbing.

Starting “Last Night” by Mhairi Macfarlane, hoping the change of pace and some chic lit will recover me from that book. I knew it’d be bad (it’s well written btw) but the whole time I was just like wtf..

Does anyone else enjoy "trashy" books, things like Mills and Boon and Barbara Cartland, maybe Danielle Steel? That kind of thing? I'm really into Danielle Steel books when I just want a total escape from reality and to consume something that requires next to no brain power whatsoever. Her stories are pretty much all the same but I got into her books in my teens and they make me so nostalgic.

I like to revisit Sweet Valley High books on occasion too for that reason, and Point Horror. I have technically far, far outgrown these but I still find them a lot of fun. Nostalgia is such a powerful thing.

Yes @Damita ! My 'guilty pleasure' are historical romances (Julia Quinn, Mary Balogh, Lisa Kelypas, Grace Burrowes, Eloisa James, Sabrina Jeffries etc). But I don't mind a comtemporary Mills & Boon either. Great escapism. I think I've read one Danielle Steel, but I really should try a few more.

I thought her relationship with Max was quite romantised. At times Nina reflected on how they had only done things together and rarely met up around other people. Their meeting with Joe was quite disasterous (at first I thought it was an ex thing but then realised it was a good example of how self absorbed Max was by not reading any of Nina's work). Personally I would have punched both Max and Jethro in the face so she handled better than I would have 🤣
Interesting. I thought that she had an overly intense relationship with Joe (she danced with him at his wedding together with his new wife - WTF???) and that she seemed to be overly cool with the ghosting - no obsessive thinking or discussing it with friends, she only mentions it casually. I think this is a bit unusual, that she would have felt hurt more.

Does anyone else enjoy "trashy" books, things like Mills and Boon and Barbara Cartland, maybe Danielle Steel? That kind of thing? I'm really into Danielle Steel books when I just want a total escape from reality and to consume something that requires next to no brain power whatsoever. Her stories are pretty much all the same but I got into her books in my teens and they make me so nostalgic.

I like to revisit Sweet Valley High books on occasion too for that reason, and Point Horror. I have technically far, far outgrown these but I still find them a lot of fun. Nostalgia is such a powerful thing.
Ah, I loved Danielle Steel years ago! I think the only thing I never really “got” was when she paired much older men with young girls (late teens early twenties) romantically but I think that mirrored her own first marriage which was to a contemporary of her father. She’s had the most amazing life, more like the plot of a novel.
I also have fond memories of Sweet Valley High, there is a really good podcast which goes into each book in turn in a good hearted and amusing way. Didn’t we all want a lavaliere necklace like the twins? Still don’t know what a lavaliere necklace is though!

Reactions: 3
I went for Divine Lola.
I've decided to do the same!

Also, I've just seen that 'Panchinko' is free for prime readers, and I've seen it a lot on booktube, has anyone read it and do you recommend?

I'm reading Cast into Doubt by Patricia Mcdonald at the moment and am tempted to just skim to the end. Does this irritate anyone else or is it just me?

IMG_20210801_131429.jpg

I've read a few of her books (kindle unlimited) and have found myself losing patience with her writing at times despite the fact that she tells a great story.

Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.