Books #4 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Finally finished The Six Guests. Thought the first 70% dragged on getting absolutely nowhere and then the last 30% seemed to speed up and get interesting. However I didn’t like any of the characters, I didn’t care about the outcome and just when I thought it was coming to an exciting twist, it twisted in a different direction and I lost interest. It took me two weeks to read it as I just wasn’t bothered about picking it up to finish it - came so close to giving up on it for a big chunk of the book.

Reactions: 4
I'm nearing the end of The Lie by C.L Taylor and boy...

It's a book which has made me want to read on and on and on. I've spent a couple of hours reading it today but as I neared the end I just got annoyed. The author does a decent job at establishing the atmosphere in the setting and a bunch of other factors which may explain some of the 'stupid' behaviour by the main character, but then stuff just starts happening by complete chance and really messily too. At that point a lot of the plot just starts feeling awfully forced and almost like the author wanted to do something darker without knowing how to do it within what she had written

I'm just so disappointed because I was genuinely enjoying the book

Reactions: 2
I am somewhere near the end of the Alexandria Quartet by Lawrence Durrell. These books are unlike anything else. I think I started the first book about two or three years ago. The language is so rich, dense and full of metaphors that one sentence contains more than what most writers include in a paragraph. You have to be in the mood for Durrell's writing but if you want to read something original and mind bending then give it a go.

Reactions: 3
I think I remember people discussing 'Girl, Woman, Other' on here? Is it worth getting for anyone who has read it?

Out on a run this evening I spotted it in a charity shop window - tempted to go down early tomorrow to pick it up!

Reactions: 1
I think I remember people discussing 'Girl, Woman, Other' on here? Is it worth getting for anyone who has read it?

Out on a run this evening I spotted it in a charity shop window - tempted to go down early tomorrow to pick it up!
I disliked it, I think the hype around it was not deserved at all (I’m probably on my own here) I think the style was a poor choice and I think the first 1/3 was a waste

Reactions: 4
I disliked it, I think the hype around it was not deserved at all (I’m probably on my own here) I think the style was a poor choice and I think the first 1/3 was a waste
it reads like a book trying to hit the quota needed to get a woke 2020 nomination.
flimsy plot, if one even existed, too many characters, obviously just to make sure there was enough black characters to make it worthy of an award.
She wrote that book for the climate not because she had an idea for a novel. 😐

Reactions: 5
Looking to add some more books to my never ending unread list on my kindle, which I shouldn’t do but here I am asking.

What has been your most favourite book you’ve read this year and without giving away too much (i don’t mind a brief plot) - why? Tell me the genre too pls!

Dolly Alderton - Ghosts is 99p on Kindle if anyone wanted to read it!
Thank you for the heads up. It's gone back to 4.99 but have just bought anyway 😅

I am somewhere near the end of the Alexandria Quartet by Lawrence Durrell. These books are unlike anything else. I think I started the first book about two or three years ago. The language is so rich, dense and full of metaphors that one sentence contains more than what most writers include in a paragraph. You have to be in the mood for Durrell's writing but if you want to read something original and mind bending then give it a go.
I've read his brother's My Family and Other Animals (which I loved) but have never picked up Alexander's work. Good to know re needing to be in the right 'mood'.

Looking to add some more books to my never ending unread list on my kindle, which I shouldn’t do but here I am asking.

What has been your most favourite book you’ve read this year and without giving away too much (i don’t mind a brief plot) - why? Tell me the genre too pls!
For me The Push is the first that springs to mind. Of any new release that is, but I’ve already read so many good ones thanks to this thread getting me fully back into reading this last 6 months

I have only given 4 books 5 stars so far this year:

The Martian by Andy Weir
A nearly normal family by M T Edvardsson
The inheritance games by Jennifer Lynn Barnes
Ruthless Women by Melanie Blake

This is quite a diverse mix of genres haha. So hopefully something you might enjoy ❤

Finally finished The Six Guests. Thought the first 70% dragged on getting absolutely nowhere and then the last 30% seemed to speed up and get interesting. However I didn’t like any of the characters, I didn’t care about the outcome and just when I thought it was coming to an exciting twist, it twisted in a different direction and I lost interest. It took me two weeks to read it as I just wasn’t bothered about picking it up to finish it - came so close to giving up on it for a big chunk of the book.
I’m reading it currently and like you I feel it’s dragging. But I want to see how it ends so I’m keeping going. I also feel it’s very over-written, with everything assigned it’s own quirky simile and I can’t get over the barrel of a gun being described as a nozzle! However I’ve read books by this author before and enjoyed them. So I’ll soldier on.

I’m reading it currently and like you I feel it’s dragging. But I want to see how it ends so I’m keeping going. I also feel it’s very over-written, with everything assigned it’s own quirky simile and I can’t get over the barrel of a gun being described as a nozzle! However I’ve read books by this author before and enjoyed them. So I’ll soldier on.
Totally agree with everything you’ve said. I feel like she could cut half the book out and it would still make perfect sense.
You’ll have to let me know what you think when you get to the end!

Totally agree with everything you’ve said. I feel like she could cut half the book out and it would still make perfect sense.
You’ll have to let me know what you think when you get to the end!
I will do! At the moment the only character I care about is Fuzzy!

Thank you for the heads up. It's gone back to 4.99 but have just bought anyway 😅

I've read his brother's My Family and Other Animals (which I loved) but have never picked up Alexander's work. Good to know re needing to be in the right 'mood'.
Aw you're welcome. Maybe it was just for the day or so? I hope you enjoy it though :)

I liked it but it was average, I don't think it was a worthy winner. I read it before all of the hype so that might have helped - when I read a book that has been hyped up it's easy to be let down from high expectations. I really liked some of the characters, and it was refreshing for a book to have such diverse characters, but some of their storylines were a bit boring and forgettable.

Ruthless Women by Melanie Blake
I have no idea why I couldn’t get into this..... it reads like the type of book I usually like but I just couldn’t get on with it so gave it a pass after the first few chapters. Is it worth going back to?

I have no idea why I couldn’t get into this..... it reads like the type of book I usually like but I just couldn’t get on with it so gave it a pass after the first few chapters. Is it worth going back to?
I really enjoyed it. It reminded me of Rebecca Chance but not as filthy.

If I remember it did take me a few chapters to get into. I have read over 50 books this year and this is only one of four I have given 5 stars

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.