Books #4 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Facebook ads keep targeting me for 99p kindle books and I have finally fallen for it. I've downloaded The Six Guests by Diana Wilkinson.

Could your online activity lead to your real-life death? Can a screenshot frame you for murder?

During Lockdown, six friends meet on-screen every Friday night to take part in a quiz.

But when it is Barton Hinton’s turn to host the event, he introduces a set of personal questions that clearly aren’t random and which set off a fatal chain of events.

When the police start to ask questions, the friends agree to hide the truth.

Is it possible that one of the six guests killed a fellow member?

Everyone has their secrets. Some are worth dying for. Some are worth killing for…
This sounds right up my street. I normally don’t buy my next book until I’ve finished my current one but I’ve just ordered it! Will get to it after The Push.

Reactions: 2
This sounds right up my street. I normally don’t buy my next book until I’ve finished my current one but I’ve just ordered it! Will get to it after The Push.
I'm hoping it's good! I'm 1/4 through Leave the world behind so I'm hoping to start it once I'm finished.

I think I've seen it mentioned on this thread before - I just finished Educated by Tara Westover and I really enjoyed it! Does anyone have any recommendations for other memoirs that I could get stuck into?

Reactions: 4
I really liked Educated. I went through a memoirs phase not so long ago. Some of favourites are -

When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi
Priestdaddy by Patricia Lockwood
Hons and Rebels by Jessica Mitford

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I really liked Educated. I went through a memoirs phase not so long ago. Some of favourites are -

Thank you! 🙌 Hons and Rebels in particular looks right up my street so I'll make sure to get my hands on a copy of it.

Reactions: 1
I think I've seen it mentioned on this thread before - I just finished Educated by Tara Westover and I really enjoyed it! Does anyone have any recommendations for other memoirs that I could get stuck into?
A couple of years ago I was in an online book club and a lot of people that read Educated also loved Hillbilly Elegy. I haven’t read it myself so I can’t say if it’s good but everyone raved about it. It’s recently been made into a movie starring Glen Close.

I really enjoyed Educated but part of me was a bit sceptical about how true it was. All of the children seemed to be at deaths door at one point or another. She had very little education but ended up in Cambridge (or was it Oxford?) …either way, I thought it felt far fetched.
But that’s just me being an old cynic 😂

I really enjoyed Educated but part of me was a bit sceptical about how true it was. All of the children seemed to be at deaths door at one point or another. She had very little education but ended up in Cambridge (or was it Oxford?) …either way, I thought it felt far fetched.
But that’s just me being an old cynic 😂
I didn’t enjoy it purely from this point of view, it wasn’t realistic and I’m not dismissing her experience but it didn’t seem real at all!

I would like to read more memoirs. I really enjoyed The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls.

I finished everything I never told you by Celeste Ng earlier, I enjoyed it I just wished for something a bit more? But I guess that's the point of the book really. I'd give it a 3.5 as some of it was a bit sluggish to get through and the style of writing was sometimes difficult to follow.

Despite buying 4 new books for my kindle a few weeks ago, I bought They Both Die at the End earlier and started reading that 😂 enjoyable so far and looking forward to seeing how it develops. I reckon I'll finish it quickly. Must be getting into it as I'm wishing footie wasn't on tonight so I could escape to bed with it instead!

I keep raving about the library but the last two days they keep trying to push National treasure Lorraine Kelly’s 2008 biography on me and I’ve never been so insulted or felt so misunderstood. 😕

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 14
I've signed up for audiobooks at my library - so excited! So much choice I don't know where to start

Well this is creepy - I was also at my library today 😖 Big shout out to the lone librarian patiently dealing with a woman in a sleeveless puffer jacket who refused to accept her ancient ipad was the reason why she couldn't log onto BorrowBox 🙄

After a decade, it seems that my LA has actually invested in new library stock. Thanks to this thread I picked up Three Hours and Ghosts, both brand spanking new copies 👍

• Heart
Reactions: 6
A memoir I Ioved and think of a lot is Eating Children by Jill Tweedie.
You know that rare time when you read a book and just completely feel in synch with the writer? I had that with this book. Funny, sad, interesting and not one hint of self pity.

Reactions: 1
I've finished Leave the world behind by Rumaan Alam. I didn't really like it. I felt like the writing rambles a bit. I don't really understand the ending. Maybe it is me being dumb but I just don't think I got it.
I did start it this morning and finished it the same day so it was quite easy to read 😂

Reactions: 2
BorrowBox is the best app ever and I don’t care how sad that makes me I will die on that hill. 😐

• Heart
Reactions: 5
BorrowBox is the best app ever and I don’t care how sad that makes me I will die on that hill. 😐
It’s so good! Especially if your library signs up and buys a few copies so you’re not in a queue of like 100 people waiting till September 22 😂 I like it a lot tbf

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.