Books #4 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I vaguely remember reading Pet Semetary but don’t really remember much of it - I’ve got the new film on my Netflix watchlist though.

I went through a big King phase about 15 years back but can I for the life of me remember all the ones I read?! I know I LOVED The Long Walk, Misery and Cell though. I remember reading Misery on the bus home one day and I shrieked so loudly at the really sickening part (if you know you know) and the whole bus turning round to look at me!
Everytime I see an axe I think of Misery. Every single time. Cujo is my favourite Stephen King book, it is one that often slips under the radar because it's not as scary as his other books.

Reactions: 2
I vaguely remember reading Pet Semetary but don’t really remember much of it - I’ve got the new film on my Netflix watchlist though.

I went through a big King phase about 15 years back but can I for the life of me remember all the ones I read?! I know I LOVED The Long Walk, Misery and Cell though. I remember reading Misery on the bus home one day and I shrieked so loudly at the really sickening part (if you know you know) and the whole bus turning round to look at me!
So many people have recommended Misery, I think I will make it my next King read, though I am thinking I need to read The Shining also.

I have seen the film of Misery but I don’t remember much except Kathy Bates being very good in it!

So many people have recommended Misery, I think I will make it my next King read, though I am thinking I need to read The Shining also.

I have seen the film of Misery but I don’t remember much except Kathy Bates being very good in it!
Definitely go for Misery! It’s possible one of my favourite books ever - though it’s been 10 years since I read it so I think I need a reread.

I’m sure I read The Shining but cant remember if I liked it or not. Maybe I need to reread that one.

Reactions: 1
How do people feel about King's writing in general?

I tried reading IT and got through a good chunk of it but the constant tangents were a huge turn off for me. Not to say that the tangents weren't interesting but the way they were placed into the plot, the amount of writing done on them and then for them to be... well, not very significant outside of connecting one ordinary thing to some clown, made me almost forget what was actually happening in the actual story

I'd love to give his other books a try as he's great at descriptions but, from the people I have talked to and the discussions I've read, that's a running theme

Reactions: 3

I tried reading IT and got through a good chunk of it but the constant tangents were a huge turn off for me. Not to say that the tangents weren't interesting but the way they were placed into the plot, the amount of writing done on them and then for them to be... well, not very significant outside of connecting one ordinary thing to some clown, made me almost forget what was actually happening in the actual story

I'd love to give his other books a try as he's great at descriptions but, from the people I have talked to and the discussions I've read, that's a running theme
I did not get along with IT at all. It was far too long and as you say, had way too many tangents. Take them out and focus on the one storyline and I think I’d have had a different opinion. I read it on my honeymoon and just felt like I never seemed to be getting any closer to the end. Even after slogging it right the way through to the end, it didn’t really feel worth the effort.

However, there are some books of his that I have adored. His writing is so immersive in some books (Misery and The Long Walk come straight to mind) and so drawn out in others (IT and Under The Dome come to mind - I wanted to love UTD but couldn’t get past the first few chapters as it was just so long winded). There are some that are just good reads, nice length, simple enough to follow but with plots that draw you in - Cell, The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon, Carrie, Blaze.

• Heart

I read Needful Things many years ago, the one and only Stephen King book I've read. It was a great read with a very well written story. I have no idea why I haven't read more of his work but I think, having watched most of his movies, I'm less inclined to read the adjoining book.

I really hated IT, and only made it about halfway through at most, and that was with me really pushing myself to enjoy it. I was surprised as I thought I’d like it.

I really enjoyed The Institute, devoured it in a couple of days. I then read Under The Dome and also thoroughly enjoyed that, so I’m keen to try out some more King books (just not IT. Never IT.)

I liked those two books for getting properly invested in, I do like a good longer read when it’s done well.

Regarding Kings writing, I have deliberately read Carrie and now Pet Semetary as people have described them to me as the easiest to read. I struggled to get through IT and gave up.

So far Pet Semetary is on topic and easy to get into it so I agree currently (we will see how I feel after another 400 pages though!)

I think IT is King's worst book, it is too - I don't know clunky and so much of the writing is unnecessary to the story line. I found it a real hard slog to read through.

I am less keen on the horror, terrifying imagery stuff he does (and does well!) so I much prefer his Joyland, The Green Mile, The Gunslinger, Bag of Bones type books and of course Lisey's Story (King himself says this one is his personal favourite)

This talk is making me want to reread Cujo or Lisey.

Oooh The Green Mile is another I really want to read, so many to get through.

Speaking of horror - has anyone read the Hannibal series? I am thinking of starting that soon.

I strongly suspect there's a strong correlation between King's quality of writing and how drugged up/drunk he was at the time.

Said as a fan and I'm sure he has also written about this too.

I love Stephen King, it's pure comfort reading for me so I prefer the 'coming of age in a small town' type, I LOVED It (for that reason), the Hardcase Crime ones, Institute, the most recent short story compilation had a good one (Mr something or others Phone I think it was called), Christine... If it's got a pre teen boy in I'm going to love it! But tbh I love them all, it's rare I don't. Lisey's Story is the only one I've given up on.

Although, it's been said a million times before, you can always tell the point at which he starts rushing the ending, the endings are so often disappointing!

I think I've read most of them, but not Carrie or Cujo. I started Cujo recently but got distracted.

I strongly suspect there's a strong correlation between King's quality of writing and how drugged up/drunk he was at the time.

Said as a fan and I'm sure he has also written about this too.
I was taking Codiene (prescribed but deffo addicted) at the time I read Misery and the way he wrote about it was how I felt about it!

• Haha
Screenshot_20210703-235419.jpg

I'm new to Audible so maybe I'm just not overly used to audio books but I'm struggling with this one.

This is a rogue one, but Marcus Rashford’s book. Came up on my Libary app via audiobook and honestly if any of your have teens or young children who struggle with resilience and working hard to get where they need to go or self belief and confidence, buy it

Reactions: 6
This is a rogue one, but Marcus Rashford’s book. Came up on my Libary app via audiobook and honestly if any of your have teens or young children who struggle with resilience and working hard to get where they need to go or self belief and confidence, buy it
Not a child but probably need this at 22 😂

Reactions: 7
Also - has anyone read Adam Silvera's 'History is All You Left Me'? It's currently 99p on Kindle and I'm tempted, not read any of his other books but heard good things.

View attachment 646698
I'm new to Audible so maybe I'm just not overly used to audio books but I'm struggling with this one.
really wasn’t a fan of this, it’s not my kind of thing anyway so I put it down to that.
I haven’t watched the series either though.

just starting the hidden beach by Karen Swan. Looks good.
(In Stockholm’s oldest quarter,
Bell Everhurst loves her job working as a nanny for the rich and charming Hanna and Max Mogert, caring for their three children.
But one morning, everything changes. A woman from a clinic Bell has never heard of asks her to pass on the message that Hanna’s husband is awake. But the man isn’t Max.
As the truth about Hanna’s past is revealed, the consequences are devastating. As the family heads off to spend their summer on Sweden’s idyllic islands, will Bell be caught in the crossfire?)

View attachment 646698
I didn't listen to You, ao can't comment on the performance, but I have read it. But I think i only gave it 3/5. It isn't the best book

The first audiobook I tried was a thriller and I couldn't get into it. So then I listened to Harry Potter (which I am a huuuuuge fan of) and it made me see audiobooks can be good. O have now listened to over 50 audiobooks of all genres. But the narrator definitely can make or break the book.

As another poster suggested, don't be afraid to return it and try another

really wasn’t a fan of this, it’s not my kind of thing anyway so I put it down to that.
I haven’t watched the series either though.

just starting the hidden beach by Karen Swan. Looks good.
(In Stockholm’s oldest quarter,
Bell Everhurst loves her job working as a nanny for the rich and charming Hanna and Max Mogert, caring for their three children.
But one morning, everything changes. A woman from a clinic Bell has never heard of asks her to pass on the message that Hanna’s husband is awake. But the man isn’t Max.
As the truth about Hanna’s past is revealed, the consequences are devastating. As the family heads off to spend their summer on Sweden’s idyllic islands, will Bell be caught in the crossfire?)

I saw this on Amazon for 99p the other day and pounced, didn't even read the blip 😂 Really like Karen Swan.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.