Books #4 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Has anyone read Lisa Taddeo’s new book Animal? The blurb makes it sound intense. I still have her non fiction Three Women from a few years ago on my tbr.
Have you been following me? Picked up my order from Waterstones today and my bundle includes this 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I just finished The flight by Julie Clark. Would totally recommend it - it had me gripped from the first paragraph! Now reading Girl, Woman, Other. Has anyone read it? I just started it yesterday but I’m finding it so hard to get into and I’m on the verge of giving up! Just wondering if anyone else has read it and is it worth persevering with?

Reactions: 2
I just finished The flight by Julie Clark. Would totally recommend it - it had me gripped from the first paragraph! Now reading Girl, Woman, Other. Has anyone read it? I just started it yesterday but I’m finding it so hard to get into and I’m on the verge of giving up! Just wondering if anyone else has read it and is it worth persevering with?
Did not like it as much as her other work, I’ll be honest, I think the hype was wrong but again I think I just don’t love prize winners

Yes, I think I’m the same when it comes to prize winners - I don’t usually like them either!

I struggled with GWO. Don't think it should have been a prize winner. Found it really hard to get into because the first two characters I just couldn't relate to. I found it generally improved after that.

Reactions: 4
I read it a couple of weeks ago and I loved it! I think a lot of it was because I related to some aspects of the characters, and some of my friends are quite similar to some of them, so for me the characters were authentic. I also grew up in Peckham so it all felt quite homely to me.

However, it wasn't just because of all this - I also really like her writing style, and she is very witty. I've only read one other book by her (Mr Loverman) which I also really enjoyed and I definitely want to read more of her work.

Yes, I think I’m the same when it comes to prize winners - I don’t usually like them either!
Here’s a question, the prize winner you’ve read and you sat there like wtf how did this win
Mine was wolf hall 😂

• Haha
Omg Wolf Hall. I hardly made it past the first chapter and I bloody love Tudor England.

I'm really excited about this but no-one else in my life appreciates it 😂 I managed to get four books for £1.16!!

Thanks to:
£25 Waterstones voucher
£10 credit on Waterstones plus account
Good old buy one, get one half price 👍

My haul includes:

Animal - Lisa Taddeo
Summerwater - Sarah Moss
The Vanishing Half - Brit Bennett (which has been *haunting* me on #BookTok)
Leave the World Behind - Rumaan Alam

The last book was recommended to me by the bookseller. I actually remember reading about it last year, thought I must add it to my TBR list and then promptly forgot about it 😂 The staff in my local Waterstones are fantastic. They really know their stuff and are extremely friendly. I hope they do ok as they're beside two supermarkets and The Works so they have stiff competition.

A big shout out to the bookseller who very patiently answered an elderly woman's request for any new Beatrix Potter books 👀👀👀

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
I struggled with GWO. Don't think it should have been a prize winner. Found it really hard to get into because the first two characters I just couldn't relate to. I found it generally improved after that.
Yes, I’m finding it hard to relate to the first 2 characters as well. I haven’t got beyond them yet so maybe I will stick at it a bit longer.

Reactions: 1
Have you been following me? Picked up my order from Waterstones today and my bundle includes this 😂
Her publishers have invested lots marketing and promotion because I keep on seeing it mentioned in the media 😅 might need to trot down to my local store today…

Reactions: 2
Omg Wolf Hall. I hardly made it past the first chapter and I bloody love Tudor England.

I'm really excited about this but no-one else in my life appreciates it 😂 I managed to get four books for £1.16!!

Thanks to:
£25 Waterstones voucher
£10 credit on Waterstones plus account
Good old buy one, get one half price 👍

My haul includes:

Animal - Lisa Taddeo
Summerwater - Sarah Moss
The Vanishing Half - Brit Bennett (which has been *haunting* me on #BookTok)
Leave the World Behind - Rumaan Alam

The last book was recommended to me by the bookseller. I actually remember reading about it last year, thought I must add it to my TBR list and then promptly forgot about it 😂 The staff in my local Waterstones are fantastic. They really know their stuff and are extremely friendly. I hope they do ok as they're beside two supermarkets and The Works so they have stiff competition.

A big shout out to the bookseller who very patiently answered an elderly woman's request for any new Beatrix Potter books 👀👀👀
I thought The Vanishing Half was brilliant, even though it's not typically my kind of book. I'm now reading Brit Bennett's debut novel, The Mothers.

I'm also about to start Leave The World Behind - wonder if it will live up to the hype.

I recommend If Cats Disappeared From The World by Genki Karamura for a quick, quirky, but also poignant read.

Now reading Girl, Woman, Other. Has anyone read it? I just started it yesterday but I’m finding it so hard to get into and I’m on the verge of giving up! Just wondering if anyone else has read it and is it worth persevering with?
Yes, I thought it was really good. Definitely worth persevering with.

So I picked up Animal at the bookstore! Also got The End of Men (I think it was on my list from a reccomendation here?) and The Maidens by Alex Michaelides, who wrote the Silent Patient. Now, do I have plenty of unread books already here at home? Yes, yes I do.

• Heart
I have just finished Animal. I have a lot to say about it but won't spoil it for those of you yet to read it.

I am re-reading Great Expectations right now. And Something to Answer For which won the first ever Booker Prize in 1969 as part of a reading challenge on Instagram.

@ordinaryjelly Could you tell me more about the Instagram challenge? I was planning to read the Book prize winners and short list from my year of birth this year. However some are proving quite hard to get copies of.

You've also given me a boot up the bum to start Animal tonight. Although I don't think it's a book that can be read whilst watching the football 😬

Facebook ads keep targeting me for 99p kindle books and I have finally fallen for it. I've downloaded The Six Guests by Diana Wilkinson.

Could your online activity lead to your real-life death? Can a screenshot frame you for murder?

During Lockdown, six friends meet on-screen every Friday night to take part in a quiz.

But when it is Barton Hinton’s turn to host the event, he introduces a set of personal questions that clearly aren’t random and which set off a fatal chain of events.

When the police start to ask questions, the friends agree to hide the truth.

Is it possible that one of the six guests killed a fellow member?

Everyone has their secrets. Some are worth dying for. Some are worth killing for…

I’ve just finished Verity. Wow it’s dark. It’s a really clever book and so atmospheric. I loved it.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.