Books #4 the book lovers thread!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Those Mitford books are some of my favourites, they are my comfort reads when I just want to pick something up and get lost in it for a while. I reread them often.

Not seen the TV show, I am scared it will spoil the book.
A slice of indulgent escapism is what I'm really craving right now, so that's great to hear!

And that's fair enough, I think, from what I've read, that fans of novels didn't love it. It just scratched a particular itch I had, in my case.

Reactions: 1
Just finished The Passengers! Absolutely loved it! It’s totally my kind of book - set in the touching distance future, bit of a mystery to solve, relationships, moral dilemmas all wrapped up in a can’t put it down thriller!

Now off to pick my Amazon First Reads choice for July as I forgot yesterday!

I’ve gone for For The Love of Friends - nothing else really jumped out. This one doesn’t sound anything like my usual book but I do like Bridesmaids, 27 Dresses and Mean Girls that are mentioned in the write up so I thought I’d give it a whirl.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Book roundup 😂 finished something blue for the second time because I watched something borrowed last week and realised I hadn’t read the second book in years and couldn’t remember what happened in it.

I’m late to this one but I just finished the holiday by TM Logan, read the catch and didnt get along with it, read trust me towards the end of last week I think and it was..... readable 🤷‍♀️ Didn’t love or hate it. The holiday was by far the best of the ones ive read but I don’t get the hype around him, reminds me a bit of BA Paris hype.

also read the Christmas secret (audio) China rich girlfriend (audio) and the Christmas party (kindle) don’t judge 😂 they aren’t full on Christmas books, just always set in December/January and released for the Christmas market, clever ploy putting Christmas in the title,
I really like Karen swan and reallyl enjoyed the Christmas party.

also read the legacy by Caroline bond (kindle) which is excellent.
i feel like I’m missing one......

Reactions: 4
I'm reading The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang atm. It's good so far, a bit cheesy but I needed something less serious as my recent reads have all been a bit depressing about crime and war etc. It's a series too, so I hope I enjoy and want to read the others as I love a series! - https://www.waterstones.com/book/9781786496768

Also downloaded the I heart NY book that was mentioned here so will start that next :)

Has anyone read The Cazalet series by Elizabeth Jane Howard? A lot of them are 99p, might give them a try

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
@slugella Oooh that is interesting to know. Will look them up in the Kindle store.

Just back my holibags and was in a right reading funk. Got an urge to re-read The Time Traveler's Wife so downloaded it onto my Kindle and off I went. Devoured it in four days which is unheard of for me. I loved the book in my 20s and I do still love it over a decade later. Some of the chapters with child Clare/adult Henry sit uneasily with me now I' m older with children of my own. But the story had me quietly sobbing on the journey home today.

It was also a pleasant surprise to read an extract from the sequel The Other Husband as well. Quite looking forward to that when it's eventually finished.

I think The Time Traveler's Wife was the first ‘adult’ book I read as a teenager and loved it. You made me think I should read it again!

I'm reading The Kiss Quotient by Helen Hoang atm. It's good so far, a bit cheesy but I needed something less serious as my recent reads have all been a bit depressing about crime and war etc. It's a series too, so I hope I enjoy and want to read the others as I love a series! - https://www.waterstones.com/book/9781786496768
I loved The Kiss Quotient! I didn’t know it was a series, I’ll have to check that out. Thank you 😊

I know what you mean about easy reads. I love historical fiction but I work really long days so lately I’ve just been enjoying light hearted reads that don’t require too much brain power!

@slugella Oooh that is interesting to know. Will look them up in the Kindle store.

Just back my holibags and was in a right reading funk. Got an urge to re-read The Time Traveler's Wife so downloaded it onto my Kindle and off I went. Devoured it in four days which is unheard of for me. I loved the book in my 20s and I do still love it over a decade later. Some of the chapters with child Clare/adult Henry sit uneasily with me now I' m older with children of my own. But the story had me quietly sobbing on the journey home today.

It was also a pleasant surprise to read an extract from the sequel The Other Husband as well. Quite looking forward to that when it's eventually finished.
I was on a bus reading TTTW when it got to the crying part, thought I was going to die from trying to hold it in!

Another time I was on public transport trying to hold myself together was reading The Tent, The Bucket and Me by Emma Kennedy - was stood in the vestibule of a train with 7472 other people and started pissing myself laughing, the bloke next to me started laughing at me so I held the book out so he could read it too! 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I finished What She Knew. Last 50% was a million times better than the first 50% but I felt really sad at the end.

Been difficult to read much, with Euros, Too Hot Too Handle and Love Island. I dont usually watch much tv but its all come on at once.

I finished What She Knew. Last 50% was a million times better than the first 50% but I felt really sad at the end.

Been difficult to read much, with Euros, Too Hot Too Handle and Love Island. I dont usually watch much tv but its all come on at once.
That’s interesting, I preferred the first half!

I’ve come to terms with the fact I’ll never be someone that comes on this thread and introduces a new book for everyone to read…
I’m reading The Ice Cream Girls after it was recommended here😊

I’ve come to terms with the fact I’ll never be someone that comes on this thread and introduces a new book for everyone to read
same 😂😂
(Although blowing my own trumpet I’ve done good with the push, people like her and for some what she knew, I also recommend the I heart series regardless of what anyone thinks 😂😂 and the Johnny be good books if you like those kind of things as well)

and no offense to @Caffeine Fiend AT ALL, you know I love you my Lidl Taylor Swift mate, but I hate when it’s a recommendation on the thread and someone then asks does it get any better as it goes on because they’re struggling with it 🙈🙈🙈
I love this thread, I think if I’m taking a recommendation from here and I don’t get on with the book I’d just say I enjoyed it anyway so I didn’t hurt anyone 😂 but maybe that’s wrong of me 🤷‍♀️ And I need to grow up being so snowflakey 😂

• Haha
Ha sorry. I have liked loads of recommended here. Although Ive come to the conclusion if Good Reads like a book I probably wont like it 😂 I do try and finish most books even if Im not feeling it.

Ive got Verity to read after it was recommended here and the reviews seemed great on Amazon.

Still ploughing through American Dirt on audible. Its a long one, I think Im at about 50%. Im a fast reader so always feel agrieved when I see the length in hours of some books on audible 😂

Edit - I loved People Like Her. Also have The Push (the correct one!!) downloaded to read too. :)

same 😂😂
(Although blowing my own trumpet I’ve done good with the push, people like her and for some what she knew, I also recommend the I heart series regardless of what anyone thinks 😂😂 and the Johnny be good books if you like those kind of things as well)

and no offense to @Caffeine Fiend AT ALL, you know I love you my Lidl Taylor Swift mate, but I hate when it’s a recommendation on the thread and someone then asks does it get any better as it goes on because they’re struggling with it 🙈🙈🙈
I love this thread, I think if I’m taking a recommendation from here and I don’t get on with the book I’d just say I enjoyed it anyway so I didn’t hurt anyone 😂 but maybe that’s wrong of me 🤷‍♀️ And I need to grow up being so snowflakey 😂
Never thought I’d see a thread where you weren’t savage tbh, it’s kinda emotional. 😅

• Haha
Ha sorry. I have liked loads of recommended here. Although Ive come to the conclusion if Good Reads like a book I probably wont like it 😂 I do try and finish most books even if Im not feeling it.

Ive got Verity to read after it was recommended here and the reviews seemed great on Amazon.

Still ploughing through American Dirt on audible. Its a long one, I think Im at about 50%. Im a fast reader so always feel agrieved when I see the length in hours of some books on audible 😂

Edit - I loved People Like Her. Also have The Push (the correct one!!) downloaded to read too. :)
I'm ploughing through american dirt too only 27% through so far for me

I’ve recently read Verity and thought it was great it really kept me hooked and there’s some good twists! American dirt I enjoyed but it did take me a while to get into.

I’m reading the new Paige Toon (someone I used to know) which is a nice read (so far!)

I just finished The Mothers by Brit Bennett and it was really good, really moving in parts. Definitely shed a few tears.

now going to read Pet Semetary by Stephen King - only about 50 pages in but liking it so far. Only read Carrie before and attempted IT so not read much King before.

I just finished The Mothers by Brit Bennett and it was really good, really moving in parts. Definitely shed a few tears.

now going to read Pet Semetary by Stephen King - only about 50 pages in but liking it so far. Only read Carrie before and attempted IT so not read much King before.
I vaguely remember reading Pet Semetary but don’t really remember much of it - I’ve got the new film on my Netflix watchlist though.

I went through a big King phase about 15 years back but can I for the life of me remember all the ones I read?! I know I LOVED The Long Walk, Misery and Cell though. I remember reading Misery on the bus home one day and I shrieked so loudly at the really sickening part (if you know you know) and the whole bus turning round to look at me!

I’m 50% through The Song of Achilles. It’s so far out of my comfort zone and I am unsure on how to pronounce most of the names but I am absolutely hooked it’s wonderful.

Reactions: 2
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.