Books #29

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I also didn't enjoy The Paris Apartment, found it v disappointing after really enjoying the Guest List and her other one which i can't remember the name of.

I finished Strong Female Character by Fern Brady last night. It was a little long winded at times, but I found it a really fascinating insight into life with autism. I really enjoyed watching her on Taskmaster and it sounds like she actually got to be herself which is nice to hear.

Started The List by yomi adegoke this morning on my commute. Only read the first few chapters but can tell I'm going to enjoy it!

Heading to Ireland on holiday next week and excited for plenty of reading time! Packed a couple of paperbacks and my kindle but inevitably will end up in a bookshop or two I imagine haha. Any recommendations in Dublin, Belfast or Galway? 😊
Ooooh Kenny’s bookshop in Galway is a treasure trove. It’s an absolute must for any book lovers ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I also didn't enjoy The Paris Apartment, found it v disappointing after really enjoying the Guest List and her other one which i can't remember the name of.

I finished Strong Female Character by Fern Brady last night. It was a little long winded at times, but I found it a really fascinating insight into life with autism. I really enjoyed watching her on Taskmaster and it sounds like she actually got to be herself which is nice to hear.

Started The List by yomi adegoke this morning on my commute. Only read the first few chapters but can tell I'm going to enjoy it!

Heading to Ireland on holiday next week and excited for plenty of reading time! Packed a couple of paperbacks and my kindle but inevitably will end up in a bookshop or two I imagine haha. Any recommendations in Dublin, Belfast or Galway? 😊
Ooooh Kenny’s bookshop in Galway is a treasure trove. It’s an absolute must for any book lovers ❤
Also Charlie Byrnes’ in Galway 😇

• Heart
Reactions: 2

No Alibis in Belfast 😊
Keats and Chapman for 2nd hand books!

ioff to waterstones today where i’m hoping to buy both long island and blue sisters 🤞🏻💙
books acquired! the cover of blue sisters is so beautiful that i want to have it out in display 🤣

also shoutout to the man in waterstones who held up long island to the girl behind the till and said “i want this, but in paperback” and when she explained it would be at least another nine months given that the hardback is out today then held up another book and said “this is a paperback” as if that would help matters 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 19
Ugh I just saw Kenny’s has relocated to an industrial estate. Don’t be bothering with the trek. Stick to Charlie’s @epl000
We are driving so if we have time we might just have to swing by both... Charlie's is really close to where we're staying though so will definitely be able to deposit the husband in a pub and have a nice browse 😊

Excellent display of mansplaining @LaBlonde I'm sure the shop assistant was thrilled. Can't believe she didn't just magic up a paperback copy, really not trying hard at all.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
i think (i don’t know if this is unpopular 🤣) that she writes men better than she does women, so the fact this is two male central characters has me kicking my feet with excitement for it!

off to waterstones today where i’m hoping to buy both long island and blue sisters 🤞🏻💙
I agree. Connell in Normal People is one of my favourite characters ever. Possibly because I’ve had my opinion coloured by the TV adaptation with the delightful Paul Mescal.. the scene when he calls her drunk and is upset on the phone leaving a voicemail is just 💔

I’m reading Pineapple Street and enjoying it already.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
I just finished A Civil Contract, which @LaBlonde recommended a few threads back, and I loved it. I read a lot of regency fiction on Kindle Unlimited before coming to Heyer, so I've seen a lot of plots and found their origin somewhat later, and as usual, Heyer is unmatched. I adored Jenny, and the little bittersweetness to her story, amongst all her pragmatism, just made me love her more. I'd had Adam and Julia somewhat misrepresented to me which is what made me hesitate to pick up the book in the first place, and I think Julia's parents had the right of it, they wouldn't have suited, and I could have seen him tiring of her within a few years, when the charm of being married wore off, if it hadn't once war started up again.

I'm going to go back to rereading Heyer now, I think, because I'm fast running out of her romances. I've only got three regencies to go - Cousin Kate, False Colours, and An Infamous Army.

• Heart
I just finished A Civil Contract, which @LaBlonde recommended a few threads back, and I loved it. I read a lot of regency fiction on Kindle Unlimited before coming to Heyer, so I've seen a lot of plots and found their origin somewhat later, and as usual, Heyer is unmatched. I adored Jenny, and the little bittersweetness to her story, amongst all her pragmatism, just made me love her more. I'd had Adam and Julia somewhat misrepresented to me which is what made me hesitate to pick up the book in the first place, and I think Julia's parents had the right of it, they wouldn't have suited, and I could have seen him tiring of her within a few years, when the charm of being married wore off, if it hadn't once war started up again.

I'm going to go back to rereading Heyer now, I think, because I'm fast running out of her romances. I've only got three regencies to go - Cousin Kate, False Colours, and An Infamous Army.
A Civil Contract is on my tbr list. You're tempting me to bump it up the list, but I will resist!!! 😁
I really enjoyed An Infamous Army despite thinking I'd hate it.
I've just finished The Mistress of Paris about a famous courtesan, and who did I trip over at the end of the book, but Prince Philip (the late Duke of Edinburgh) of all people!

i love love love a civil contract! it’s so different from her other romances in how bittersweet it all is. i completely agree with your spoiler! glad you liked it 💙

cousin kate is honestly one of my favourite heyers; again very different because of how gothic it is, but also different because the lead couple get together halfway through rather than the last few chapters (which had me 😧 when i read it 🤣) i like false colours very much too!
---
Excellent display of mansplaining @LaBlonde I'm sure the shop assistant was thrilled. Can't believe she didn't just magic up a paperback copy, really not trying hard at all.
exactly! and it was the “THIS is a paperback” that finished me off. as if this girl, who works around books literally all day, would have been like oh sir you’re right! i didn’t know! come on man 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
books acquired! the cover of blue sisters is so beautiful that i want to have it out in display 🤣

also shoutout to the man in waterstones who held up long island to the girl behind the till and said “i want this, but in paperback” and when she explained it would be at least another nine months given that the hardback is out today then held up another book and said “this is a paperback” as if that would help matters 🤣
A couple of weeks ago I was in Waterstones waiting to pay and a man comes along to the other till from the direction of inside the store with a copy of Dune in his hand, puts it down on counter and looks at bookseller, bookseller scans it and asks for £9.99.. man is outraged as he ‘didn’t want to buy it again’ - turns out he wanted a refund despite saying nothing and not producing a receipt. The audacity of the bookseller not to be a mind reader.

• Haha
Reactions: 11
A Civil Contract is on my tbr list. You're tempting me to bump it up the list, but I will resist!!! 😁
I really enjoyed An Infamous Army despite thinking I'd hate it.
I've just finished The Mistress of Paris about a famous courtesan, and who did I trip over at the end of the book, but Prince Philip (the late Duke of Edinburgh) of all people!
I'll just say that you'll enjoy it when you come to it! I thought there was such a lovely depth and richness to the relationship.

--

i love love love a civil contract! it’s so different from her other romances in how bittersweet it all is. i completely agree with your spoiler! glad you liked it 💙

cousin kate is honestly one of my favourite heyers; again very different because of how gothic it is, but also different because the lead couple get together halfway through rather than the last few chapters (which had me 😧 when i read it 🤣) i like false colours very much too!
---

exactly! and it was the “THIS is a paperback” that finished me off. as if this girl, who works around books literally all day, would have been like oh sir you’re right! i didn’t know! come on man 🤣
Honestly, I was a little scandalised that Jenny was pregnant. What do you mean, they've been having sex, this is a Heyer novel. Adam's one of my favourite Heyer men, and I really enjoyed how Heyer didn't shy away from how different they both were. Also Lydia was a delight.

• Heart
Honestly, I was a little scandalised that Jenny was pregnant. What do you mean, they've been having sex, this is a Heyer novel. Adam's one of my favourite Heyer men, and I really enjoyed how Heyer didn't shy away from how different they both were. Also Lydia was a delight.
i know!! i’m used to an “embrace” on the last page, not actual PREGNANCY?! scandalised!!

i’ve never truly pondered my favourite heyer men and now i’m going to spend the rest of the afternoon on it 🤣 lord beaumaris in arabella might be top of my list though (he’s socially awkward but romantic deep down! he rescues a dog! and also an orphan child!) but adam is up there too.

• Heart
i know!! i’m used to an “embrace” on the last page, not actual PREGNANCY?! scandalised!!

i’ve never truly pondered my favourite heyer men and now i’m going to spend the rest of the afternoon on it 🤣 lord beaumaris in arabella might be top of my list though (he’s socially awkward but romantic deep down! he rescues a dog! and also an orphan child!) but adam is up there too.
Beaumaris's resignation to adopting and/or rescuing every creature Arabella comes across is wonderful, but for me, the top is elegant Alverstoke (chasing cross country after a boy in a balloon? Claiming the worst dog in the world?).

• Heart

Apart from my recent Heyer splurge. I lived for decades with Arabella and Fridays Child in my bookcase. The latter having Hero (Wantage?) in it, who I hero worshipped. 😁

Beaumaris's resignation to adopting and/or rescuing every creature Arabella comes across is wonderful, but for me, the top is elegant Alverstoke (chasing cross country after a boy in a balloon? Claiming the worst dog in the world?).
omg alverstoke is 👌🏻👌🏻 (though frederica in general
is just one of my favourite heyers) - i love her commitment to getting a great dog character into all her books! as a supporting character, i absolutely loved ferdy in friday’s child, even though he wasn’t the love interest i would have married him instead 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 3
I like Alverstoke. But I need to read more Heyer Regency novels, so far I've mostly read her crime. I got a box set of Heyer novels last month but haven't started them yet.

• Heart
I’m going to make a conscious effort to get out of my slump tonight. Going to get into bed early with my kindle and a cup of tea and my phone out of reach! I just don’t know what to read 😫 I bought close to home yesterday but not sure if it’s one for getting out of a slump? A thriller is usually my go to for getting out of one, so I’m also thinking the passengers by John marrs. Any thoughts would be appreciated 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Did I hear someone mention John Marrs? 👀

The Passengers is my favourite book of his so I fully recommend 😊

I’m reading The Other Mothers atm and enjoying it. Definitely my kind of book so I hope the ending doesn’t disappoint.

My next Kindle read is going to be Happy Place - my first EmHen!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Did I hear someone mention John Marrs? 👀

The Passengers is my favourite book of his so I fully recommend 😊

I’m reading The Other Mothers atm and enjoying it. Definitely my kind of book so I hope the ending doesn’t disappoint.

My next Kindle read is going to be Happy Place - my first EmHen!
I gave the other mothers 4 stars. I felt the ending at the time wasnt great but the longer I sat with it, the more I felt it was fitting.

Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.