Books #29

New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
bloody elain and her wandering around looking delicate and lovely like a flower šŸ¤£ nesta is the MVP of that series!
Sheā€™s so bloody miserable in this one!! And sheā€™s horrible to Lucien who deserves the world. Wouldnā€™t be mad if SJM did something drastic like kill her off šŸ˜†

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Sheā€™s so bloody miserable in this one!! And sheā€™s horrible to Lucien who deserves the world. Wouldnā€™t be mad if SJM did something drastic like kill her off šŸ˜†
I was thinking I hope she gets a redemption arc but now I think about it.. Iā€™m equally fine for her to be killed off.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
June is an incredibly interesting character, but I have to keep putting it down because of the cringe! šŸ„²

Reactions: 6
The update nobody asked for - the first four boys of Tommen books are available on The Works again. Obviously Iā€™ve done a click and collect for Saving 6.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
What annoys me the most is everyone saying Elaine is Elaine. Like what do you mean by that?? The only way I could understand it is if they mean 'we all know Elaine is bloody useless so let's ignore her' šŸ¤£

• Haha
Reactions: 2
What annoys me the most is everyone saying Elaine is Elaine. Like what do you mean by that?? The only way I could understand it is if they mean 'we all know Elaine is bloody useless so let's ignore her' šŸ¤£
I KNOW! the part where rhys is like i sass nesta because she made you go out and hunt, feyre, which you were amazing at because youā€™re amazing at everything for some reason but i wonā€™t say anything about elain because elain is elain - what does that mean?!?

if i got turned into some kind of stunning fae creature and was told that an incredibly hot redhead was my immediate husband i would NOT be whining about it šŸ¤£

• Haha
I KNOW! the part where rhys is like i sass nesta because she made you go out and hunt, feyre, which you were amazing at because youā€™re amazing at everything for some reason but i wonā€™t say anything about elain because elain is elain - what does that mean?!?

if i got turned into some kind of stunning fae creature and was told that an incredibly hot redhead was my immediate husband i would NOT be whining about it šŸ¤£
Yeah I feel like something will come out in the next book about this Elaine is Elaine thing as it needs an explanation. If it doesn't then it's one of the pointless lines ever lol

Reactions: 2
Finally got around to reading A Man Called Ove and my heart šŸ˜­ I had watched the film first but god the book is even more heartbreaking šŸ’” Backman can never do wrong in my eyes

• Heart
Reactions: 16
I'm trying to make headway with Yellowface, I think it's quite hard to properly get into, even though I think the author is a decent writer! Anyway, omg I cannot stand June! Lots of things she says (writes?) make me physically cringe.
Iā€™m listening to Yellowface on audio at the moment and Iā€™m really enjoying it.
I think the author is a good writer. I have to say, I donā€™t really mind June, either way. Sometimes sheā€™s a bit OTT but I do think sheā€™s expressing (the author is using her to express) what many think / feel but are afraid to say. And so the author is giving us insight into the unspoken of many.

Reactions: 7
I loved Yellowface and at times I found myself rooting for June which was interesting because her character is definitely satirical and meant to be problematic.

Kuang was quite clever to make her the underdog and make Athena unlikeable (through June's words) so you almost have to force yourself to not justify June's actions even though you know she's in the wrong.

Reactions: 14
I loved Yellowface and at times I found myself rooting for June which was interesting because her character is definitely satirical and meant to be problematic.

Kuang was quite clever to make her the underdog and make Athena unlikeable (through June's words) so you almost have to force yourself to not justify June's actions even though you know she's in the wrong.
this is why i think itā€™s an incredible book club choice because you can read it so many ways!

imo, june wasnā€™t the underdog but thought that she was. she justifies her own actions by saying well donā€™t i deserve this too, why should athena get all the success, havenā€™t i worked hard for it?!? weā€™re then continually shown that sheā€™s out of her depth (especially with the cringeworthy stuff when she goes to that panel and i almost had to stop reading šŸ¤£) her interactions with athenaā€™s mother, and how she continually lessens athena through the changes she makes to her book (removing some of the more overtly ā€œdifficultā€ plot points to make it more palatable to a western audience) make her unlikeable to me.

the part where she imagines casting the movie of their lives and sheā€™s florence pugh (i think?) and athena can just be ā€œthat actress from crazy rich asiansā€ has always stuck with me for both her casual racism (the asian actress doesnā€™t even get a name!) and how she sees athena after diluting the message of a book that was important to her.

i liked it a LOT but i do think (as said above) that she messed up the ending.

Reactions: 13
Bridgerton books, yay or nay? I keep seeing comments on Facebook posts about the Netflix series where people are saying the books do things differently. Has anyone here read the Bridgerton books and are they worth adding to the TBR pile?

Reactions: 1
Bridgerton books, yay or nay? I keep seeing comments on Facebook posts about the Netflix series where people are saying the books do things differently. Has anyone here read the Bridgerton books and are they worth adding to the TBR pile?
Ive listened to the first 2. I love Bridgerton. I found the first 2 books ok. I have the next 2 and havent rushed to listen to them really.

However if Illumicrate do another reprint of their books I will be snapping them up.

Reactions: 3
it depends on the sibling as theyā€™re a bit hit or miss! i liked anthony, colin and francescaā€™s books but eloiseā€™s in particular is not great.

i honestly prefer julia quinnā€™s other books (the smith-smythe quartet) to bridgerton though!

Reactions: 4
Just parking myself in the new thread. Iā€™m off on holiday on Sunday for a week and obviously biggest dilemma is which books to take. Iā€™m taking my kindle anyway but I need a back up paper book just incase. Husband thinks Iā€™m nuts for thinking more about books than clothes šŸ¤£

• Heart
Reactions: 13
The Bridgerton books are traditional, old school historical romance, if you know what I mean. The heroines are less spunky, Kate in particular is a different person. The men can be a little more, for lack of a better word, macho. The tone is also very different to the show which is cheekier, sassier.

The books also focus much more on the main couple, then somewhat on the family, less on the larger cast so if the ensemble is something you enjoy, it's missing there.

Queen Charlotte is basically nonexistent in the books, as is all that plot about her being obsessed with unmasking Whistledown. Lady W's role itself is paired back a lot. We get some snippets from her papers but she js not the guiding voiceover that she is in the books.

There's also plots that don't exist or that play out differently in the books. As an example for S2, the wedding never happens. Edwina isn't obsessed with being vicountess. There's no rift between the sisters.

And of course all the diversity is gone in the books, since that's something the show introduced. The books are all white and they focus only on the members of the Ton, no seamstresses or club owners allowed.

All that said, I enjoyed them but I had to think of them as something separate from the show because they were quite different. Personally it's one of the few instances in which I prefer the show over the books. Not that the books are bad, they're just less sparkly for me.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
The Bridgerton books are traditional, old school historical romance, if you know what I mean. The heroines are less spunky, Kate in particular is a different person. The men can be a little more, for lack of a better word, macho. The tone is also very different to the show which is cheekier, sassier.

The books also focus much more on the main couple, then somewhat on the family, less on the larger cast so if the ensemble is something you enjoy, it's missing there.

Queen Charlotte is basically nonexistent in the books, as is all that plot about her being obsessed with unmasking Whistledown. Lady W's role itself is paired back a lot. We get some snippets from her papers but she js not the guiding voiceover that she is in the books.

There's also plots that don't exist or that play out differently in the books. As an example for S2, the wedding never happens. Edwina isn't obsessed with being vicountess. There's no rift between the sisters.

And of course all the diversity is gone in the books, since that's something the show introduced. The books are all white and they focus only on the members of the Ton, no seamstresses or club owners allowed.

All that said, I enjoyed them but I had to think of them as something separate from the show because they were quite different. Personally it's one of the few instances in which I prefer the show over the books. Not that the books are bad, they're just less sparkly for me.
Thanks everyone. I guess I'll try Book 1 and see how we go, though Simon in the show annoyed me with his silly promise to his dying father so hopefully he is less annoying in the book šŸ˜… My TBR is massive but I kept seeing comments about the books so I was curious.

• Heart
Missed the new thread somehow.

in between reading crescent city, iā€™m listening to no hard feelings genevieve novak.

really enjoying it actually. Just started listening to it on a whim but reminds me a lot of me in my 20ā€™s

Reactions: 1