Books #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Im almost finished the audio and I adore them 😍
They’re exactly what I wanted from Magnolia Parks, easy/quick/addictive read, invested in the characters, a series etc etc.

I did not expect that it could sustain my interest for 800 pages but alas.. here I am restraining myself from diving straight into the next 800 pages!
---
okay well now i’m bumping this up my list 🤣

also huge shoutout to the folks in this thread (i remember @StephenTJackson but am sure there were a few others) who recommended the will of the many by james islington. not a book i would usually have considered but about a third of the way through right now and it is SO GOOD.
Argh I planned to wait for this in paperback but looks like the release date has been moved from July to Feb. Have just noticed there’s a ~60 page preview on the Waterstones site though so guess what’ll be my procrastination activity while I’m working today!

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
okay well now i’m bumping this up my list 🤣

also huge shoutout to the folks in this thread (i remember @StephenTJackson but am sure there were a few others) who recommended the will of the many by james islington. not a book i would usually have considered but about a third of the way through right now and it is SO GOOD.
Love converting more people to The Will of the Many.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Just popping on to say I’m LOVING Prima Facie on Audible. Jodie Comer’s narration is just brilliant. If I didn’t have a partner, child and dog I needed to communicate with tonight I’d have probably just listened to it in one go.

For now though, the rest will have to wait for tomorrow *sigh*
Oh I feel you. I took the dog for a long walk so I could listen to the last hour and finish it. :ROFLMAO:

@ToolaRoola I really hope they do it again, I'd definitely leap at the opportunity to watch it live although I'd definitely be needing some tissues as I think I'd be a bit of an emotional mess.

• Heart
Finished 'This Summer will be different' the new on from Carley Fortune. Loved it!! As much a story about friendship as romance. I think the storylines are often a bit twee but the way she evokes the islands her books are set on is so lovely, I want to visit Prince Edward Island now (shame Canada is so far).
---
Love converting more people to The Will of the Many.
What genre would you say this is? Looks really interesting!

Finished 'This Summer will be different' the new on from Carley Fortune. Loved it!! As much a story about friendship as romance. I think the storylines are often a bit twee but the way she evokes the islands her books are set on is so lovely, I want to visit Prince Edward Island now (shame Canada is so far).
---

What genre would you say this is? Looks really interesting!
Dark academia/sci-fi kinda genre. Not the sort of thing I'd normally read. But I randomly saw it on my Waterstones recommended section, the title grabbed my attention first. And then the synopsis had me hooked. And I adored it. Genuinely one of my favourite books of all time.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I finished The Rachel Papers. 2.5 stars. Absolutely filthy and disgusting but sort of comedic Adrian Mole type (but more deprived).
started reading The Last Mrs Parrish and think I’m going to get through it quickly as I am enjoying it so far. I know it gets mixed reviews.

Finished the audiobook of Funny Story by Emily Henry yesterday. Only started it on Monday but I flew through it. Loved it so much!

I have only previously read Book Lovers prior to this but have them all on my kindle, just not got round to reading. Which would you recommend next? I know you weren't fans of Happy Place.

Also, Julia Whelan is my favourite narrator, I don't know whether to just get them on Audible now 🤦‍♀️🤣
I'm one of the oddities who did like Happy Place but Beach Read is my very favourite and so I'd suggest that next! It was her first in this adult romance category (before these I think she wrote some YA books, which I haven't read!)

Prima Facie… 5 stars easily. Jodie Comer is just incredible.

I feel so incredibly sad. There is so much more that can be said but I feel like I need to take it all in.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
I'm one of the oddities who did like Happy Place but Beach Read is my very favourite and so I'd suggest that next! It was her first in this adult romance category (before these I think she wrote some YA books, which I haven't read!)
Thank you! I realised I have spotify as well which includes the audiobooks (sorry to the people who don't pay, but at least you don't pay 😊), so I'm going to download this and start tonight.
I enjoyed Book Lovers which I read a while ago, but I preferred Funny Story, not sure if it was because of the story or because I listened to it.

Reactions: 1
2024 has been such a slumpy reading year for me so far 😭 I don’t know if it’s because I’ve been busy or just not picking up books that grab me but I’m raging about it. I love sitting with a book and reading for hours.
---
Prima Facie… 5 stars easily. Jodie Comer is just incredible.

I feel so incredibly sad. There is so much more that can be said but I feel like I need to take it all in.
This is on my audible wishlist and I have a credit 🤔

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 10
I'm one of the oddities who did like Happy Place but Beach Read is my very favourite and so I'd suggest that next!
Same! I quite liked Happy Place. I mean, it wasn’t the best book I’ve ever read but it’s definitely far from being the worst and actually isn’t even my least favourite Emily Henry (talking about you Book Lovers! 😂) I don’t really get the hate Happy Place gets. 🤷‍♀️

Reactions: 4
2024 has been such a slumpy reading year for me so far 😭 I don’t know if it’s because I’ve been busy or just not picking up books that grab me but I’m raging about it. I love sitting with a book and reading for hours.
---

This is on my audible wishlist and I have a credit 🤔
I don’t usually like to be so forceful with my recommendations because everyone has different tastes but I feel pretty confident with this one… use the credit for this!! 😂

• Heart
Reactions: 5

Same! I quite liked Happy Place. I mean, it wasn’t the best book I’ve ever read but it’s definitely far from being the worst and actually isn’t even my least favourite Emily Henry (talking about you Book Lovers! 😂) I don’t really get the hate Happy Place gets. 🤷‍♀️
Yes 👏👏👏 I liked Happy Place too.

Has anybody read Seventeen by Joe Gibson? I'm about halfway through the audiobook, really enjoying it although that feels like the wrong word for this book.

• Heart
Has anybody read Seventeen by Joe Gibson? I'm about halfway through the audiobook, really enjoying it although that feels like the wrong word for this book.
Yes. It was such a good book. Like you I cant bring myself to say I enjoyed it. The ending will sucker punch you.

Reactions: 4
Yes I listened to it as audio and really rated it.

It is such a horrible subject matter and I think it's easy to think 17 he was obviously "up for it" and wasn't doing anything against his will. But the small things that make his age so evident choked me like the mini eggs first time he goes round. and makes you realise how inappropriate it is.

I am the same age as Miss P and the thought of a 25 year old is grim enough let alone 17 😬😬

Can't wait to discuss it fully once you have finished and the ending was something else.

Yes I listened to it as audio and really rated it.

It is such a horrible subject matter and I think it's easy to think 17 he was obviously "up for it" and wasn't doing anything against his will. But the small things that make his age so evident choked me like the mini eggs first time he goes round. and makes you realise how inappropriate it is.

I am the same age as Miss P and the thought of a 25 year old is grim enough let alone 17 😬😬

Can't wait to discuss it fully once you have finished and the ending was something else.
Yes I'm currently 32, and I'm a teacher; as much as it's a gripping (true!) story, it's leaving such a sour taste in my mouth. I'm just past "Spain". I'll come back here with my thoughts when I'm done!

Reactions: 5
Yes I'm currently 32, and I'm a teacher; as much as it's a gripping (true!) story, it's leaving such a sour taste in my mouth. I'm just past "Spain". I'll come back here with my thoughts when I'm done!
Omg Spain was so inappropriate!! I mean the whole thing was, but Spain especially and the deception involved

Reactions: 1
I've also read Seventeen. I thought it was quite an eye opening story to read and think about. Lots of interesting talking points!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.