Books #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
So glad you found it.

I’ve had a book in my head from when I was about ten and I’ve never found it - I think I’ve mentioned it here before in the hopes of finding it. I have zero idea what it was called but it was a children’s book where two children (maybe siblings) slipped through some hedges and found themselves in a wood where one of them got a thorn in their foot/hand/other body part which made them ill. The other child had to go and get help as the child with the thorn got sicker and sicker. There was also some kind of animal companion maybe a lion or a wolf and I think a witch of some sorts. The usual suggestions I get are Narnia and Hansel and Gretel - it’s neither of these. I read it in around 1995ish but it could have been an older story, I really have no idea.
Could it be one by E. Nesbit? It sounds kind of familiar but no idea what it's called!

I read a book as a teenager but it was adult fiction about a woman who lived in a house share and unbeknownst to her flatmates she had cameras put up and their lives were turned into a reality tv show. If anyone knows it. Im sure the cover when I read it was red in colour. It was set in the UK I think.

Will be cheeky and ask since others have 😂 I would imagine it was published maybe early 2000s.

Reactions: 4
So glad you found it.

I’ve had a book in my head from when I was about ten and I’ve never found it - I think I’ve mentioned it here before in the hopes of finding it. I have zero idea what it was called but it was a children’s book where two children (maybe siblings) slipped through some hedges and found themselves in a wood where one of them got a thorn in their foot/hand/other body part which made them ill. The other child had to go and get help as the child with the thorn got sicker and sicker. There was also some kind of animal companion maybe a lion or a wolf and I think a witch of some sorts. The usual suggestions I get are Narnia and Hansel and Gretel - it’s neither of these. I read it in around 1995ish but it could have been an older story, I really have no idea.
It's not this one by any chance?

Reactions: 1
So glad you found it.

Do you follow the Knee deep in the 90s instagram account?
You should submit it as a sleuthing request!

I remember reading / or starting to read a book I think was free with a magazine in the late nineties/early 2000s that started something like ‘the storm took gran’ (depressing I know) and it’s always bugged me I can’t remember what the book was called, I have no idea why I even care.

Reactions: 2
Oh I really enjoyed it! But according to this thread and on Goodreads I’m in the minority!😂
I did too! I didn't love the Covid bit (I'd prefer no book or tv show even mentions the pandemic anymore lol) but overall it was definitely up there with my favourite reads of 2023!

It's not this one by any chance?
It’s not, thank you for looking though.
---
Do you follow the Knee deep in the 90s instagram account?
You should submit it as a sleuthing request!

I remember reading / or starting to read a book I think was free with a magazine in the late nineties/early 2000s that started something like ‘the storm took gran’ (depressing I know) and it’s always bugged me I can’t remember what the book was called, I have no idea why I even care.
I don’t but I’m going to go look now!

I just got approved for 'Imposter Syndrome' by Joseph Knox on Netgalley. I enjoyed True Crime Story. Im excited.

No I dont have enough books. Mind your business.

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
It’s not, thank you for looking though.
---

I don’t but I’m going to go look now!
Quoting myself to say I’ve submitted a request, hopefully someone knows. Also I’ve been loving going through the saved stories and I feel like I’m back in the 90s!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
So glad you found it.

Any chance it was called The Snow Queen?

Finished Shrines of Gaiety this morning! I had it recommended to me by a family member, and bumped it up my list once I saw it discussed on here. I found the beginning slow-going because there were so many different strands, but I really enjoyed it after I got to around 20%. Amused by the chapter where everybody ended unhappily.

I'm also listening to The Ministry of Time, which I think @Carapop recommended? I'm a sucker for time travel, and I love how it's being dealt with here.

---

Any chance it was called The Snow Queen?
I can't believe that Andersen also wrote the Snow Queen after being rejected by someone (Jenny Lind, too!), I thought it was just The Little Mermaid. Such a fascinating and strange man

• Heart
Finished Shrines of Gaiety this morning! I had it recommended to me by a family member, and bumped it up my list once I saw it discussed on here. I found the beginning slow-going because there were so many different strands, but I really enjoyed it after I got to around 20%. Amused by the chapter where everybody ended unhappily.

I'm also listening to The Ministry of Time, which I think @Carapop recommended? I'm a sucker for time travel, and I love how it's being dealt with here.

---

I can't believe that Andersen also wrote the Snow Queen after being rejected by someone (Jenny Lind, too!), I thought it was just The Little Mermaid. Such a fascinating and strange man
Ah I really really enjoyed the ministry of time. It’s begging to be made into a film I think.

Finished Remarkably Bright Creatures yesterday after seeing it spoken highly of here. Loved it.

I just saw that the sequel to Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín is coming out next week. Its called Long Island. I adored the film but have never read the book so I've just bumped it up! Started The Song of Achilles last night so will finish that first.

• Heart
Reactions: 14
Ah I really really enjoyed the ministry of time. It’s begging to be made into a film I think.
I read an interview with the author (I was curious about her background after the first chapter), and it says a BBC adaptation is in the works!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I read an interview with the author (I was curious about her background after the first chapter), and it says a BBC adaptation is in the works!

Ah amazing. Thanks so much for letting me know ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Finished Remarkably Bright Creatures yesterday after seeing it spoken highly of here. Loved it.

I just saw that the sequel to Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín is coming out next week. Its called Long Island. I adored the film but have never read the book so I've just bumped it up! Started The Song of Achilles last night so will finish that first.
Brooklyn is the one adaptation that I much prefer the film to the book! I'm hoping they do another film of the second book. :giggle:

• Heart
I'm reading Weyward and not enjoying it so much. Doesn't help that I really really don't like birds, i have a bit of a phobia about them, and crows play a big role. I'm holding judgement on the witchy vibe as its not my genre but i want to see how it all ends up.

I just saw that the sequel to Brooklyn by Colm Tóibín is coming out next week. It’s called Long Island. I adored the film but have never read the book so I've just bumped it up! Started The Song of Achilles last night so will finish that first.
i completely forgot that long island is out next week! thank you for reminding me, brooklyn is one of my favourite books/films ever 💙 (the film is actually better than the book imo!)
---
I'm reading Weyward and not enjoying it so much. Doesn't help that I really really don't like birds, i have a bit of a phobia about them, and crows play a big role. I'm holding judgement on the witchy vibe as its not my genre but i want to see how it all ends up.
i found wayward very meh tbh - though probably the most beautiful cover i read last year 🤣 i liked the middle story strand but i thought that she made the theme so obvious and the writing so clunky that it just didn’t hit for me.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.