Books #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
New to this thread but so happy to be here, pardon me while I go back to read page 1 now :)
---
It's so good isn't it.. A very timeless book. I wish the author was still alive so I could send her a message saying how much I appreciated it.
adding to my TBR as I type <3

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
2024 has been such a slumpy reading year for me so far 😭 I don’t know if it’s because I’ve been busy or just not picking up books that grab me but I’m raging about it. I love sitting with a book and reading for hours.
Same, I can't sink my literary teeth into anything lately. All I've managed have been a few Greek plays and they are generally quite short. I miss a good reading session.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 8
I feel the slump too!

Finally started reading crescent city part 3 and I do want to just sit and read it but i just dont have the time and that’s causing my slump 😩

• Heart
Reactions: 6
The child woke up way too early this morning but it gave me a chance to finish The Family Experiment by John Marrs. Another brilliant read from him - I’ve rated it 4.5 only because there was a lot of characters to keep up with and until the big reveal at the end I thought the whole trafficking plot line seemed too disjointed from the main story. I really enjoyed how it all came together though and I feel I got good closure on each of the characters’ stories. I NEED a book on The Passengers TV show now please - it’s my favourite of his books so the next chapter in that world would be great! .

Reactions: 3
I listened to seventeen recently too and for lack of a better word enjoyed it. The first time I’ve read that kind of situation from the opposite perspective. the ending surprised me as I can’t believe it went the distance with marriage and kids but I would’ve liked to have had a very present day note added on how he came to realise what was happening, how it ended and how he feels about it all now.

I’m in such a slump. I’ve finished one book this month, I’m STILL reading other peoples clothes and I’m not even halfway through, and I’ve lost my 500+ day kindle streak 😫 I am listening to good material and really enjoying it though!

• Heart
I listened to seventeen recently too and for lack of a better word enjoyed it. The first time I’ve read that kind of situation from the opposite perspective. the ending surprised me as I can’t believe it went the distance with marriage and kids but I would’ve liked to have had a very present day note added on how he came to realise what was happening, how it ended and how he feels about it all now.

I’m in such a slump. I’ve finished one book this month, I’m STILL reading other peoples clothes and I’m not even halfway through, and I’ve lost my 500+ day kindle streak 😫 I am listening to good material and really enjoying it though!
I did look the author up on social media and he's said he's working on a follow up memoir to discuss this very thing, and his life afterwards etc.

We've been discussing the word "messages" on the Secret Celebrity thread, and what with it being a small world, a few days later it has turned up in a book I'm reading.
Said book is Brian Cox's autobiography.
The confusion continues....... He refers to bridie and chips, or more correctly a Forfar Bridie. i.e. a Cornish pasty!!!!
No wonder there is so much confusion in the world 🤷🙄
I'm getting older and finding myself rapidly losing patience, and want to yell at people wtf are you talking about!!!???
One day I know I'll crack and say it......😣😁

I've read two books this month thus far which is basically unheard of for me. I think it's the heat wave we've been going through where I am. It's so hard to focus on anything when it's boiling, I usually read before bed but I haven't felt like it. Ugh.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 11
Still Googling like mad from references made in the Brian Cox autobiography.
Didn't know Alan Bates was bisexual.
Was looking up the reference to the director Lindsay Anderson and Wham and came across this:

I then Googled the Simon Napier Bell book "I'm coming to take you to lunch" which has rave reviews. Anyone read it?

I just finished Seventeen. I'm not sure how to hide spoilers here so I'll just say my heart broke for Joe, and I'm really saddened by it all. I look forward to his next memoir!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Has anybody read Seventeen by Joe Gibson? I'm about halfway through the audiobook, really enjoying it although that feels like the wrong word for this book.
Yes, I felt uncomfortable all the way through, but it was good!
---
okay well now i’m bumping this up my list 🤣

also huge shoutout to the folks in this thread (i remember @StephenTJackson but am sure there were a few others) who recommended the will of the many by james islington. not a book i would usually have considered but about a third of the way through right now and it is SO GOOD.
It's absolutely brilliant, isn't it? Took me a while to get into, but I loved it and now I think it's one of the only books I would like to re-read. I've ordered the paperback for my teen too- I think he will love it. Shame the release date has been put back so much.
---
I am reading Slow Horses at the moment. I'd waited ages on Libby to read it, and then they shut down Libby at my library before I got chance. Got it for 50p in the charity shop! :) I'm finding it quite hard to love though, as I've already seen the TV series, which is brilliant, and the series follows it so faithfully I can picture every scene. I like to be able to imagine things more when I read, I don't know if that has spoilt it for me.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Finished In Memoriam. Fabulous, albeit heartbreaking at times, book. Highly recommend.

• Heart
Finished In Memoriam. Fabulous, albeit heartbreaking at times, book. Highly recommend.
i’ve owned this for so long but every time i pick it up i’m like “am i in the mood to be heartbroken right now?!” and so i always put it back 🥲

i WILL read it in 2024 (maybe)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I have about 50 pages left to read so hopefully will finish it tonight. Totally agree with the fabulous but heartbreaking. Easily my best read of the year so far.
---
i’ve owned this for so long but every time i pick it up i’m like “am i in the mood to be heartbroken right now?!” and so i always put it back 🥲

i WILL read it in 2024 (maybe)
Even with the heartbreak you won’t regret picking it up @LaBlonde!

• Heart
I got You With A View for 1.99 (I'm on the US Amazon site). Have you guys read it? Do you think it might kick out my reading slump?

I got You With A View for 1.99 (I'm on the US Amazon site). Have you guys read it? Do you think it might kick out my reading slump?
No but Ive heard great things about it. If you like that sort of book.

Im also slumping tbh. I am reading but not with much joy.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I'm in a slump too 😭 my concentration has been shocking recently.

I've just got the new Carley Fortune, I loveddd Every Summer After, thought Meet Me At The Lake was a bit meh, so hoping this will get me out of my reading slump.

• Heart
I don’t know what to read next after really enjoying John Marrs’ The Family Experiment. Nothing on my kindle is taking my fancy.

Reactions: 4
Waterstones are on fireeeee. My signed copy of Blue Sisters has been dispatched. A week early 🤩

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.