Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
I just realised that the same topics come up regularly here; best Kindles, how to get into audio books, Kindle vs real books etc. On any other thread on here people would be like “we’ve already talked about this!”, “read the wiki”, “just search for what you want” etc. But us lot are always just so happy someone’s talking about books that we rehash the same conversations to welcome someone in and make them included. What a lovely bunch we are ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 33

QueenBW

VIP Member
Guys, I'm so sad. I bought the Waterstones' signed edition of Funny Story, and had it delivered but customs decided to open the box with a cutting knife and it's completely slashed. Like the dust jacket is just an accordion.

• Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 32

cherrymoon

Chatty Member
FINALLY FINISHED A BOOK 🥳😂

having listened to none of this is true via BorrowBox, I’m a firm audiobook fan now! I found myself willing the train to be delayed so I could listen to more! I pretty much guessed the twists around the 3/4 mark but still thoroughly enjoyed it!

also, re. people thinking reading books is boring/lazy, friends/colleagues/family really don’t get mr moon and i. We live in a bed sit, no kids so it’s just me, him and our cat. I’m the bookworm, he’s the gamer so we spend most nights sitting in companionable silence, me with my head stuck in a book, him with his headphones on playing video games with the cat curled up between us and it’s bliss. 🥰 so I say screw what other people think, you do you ❤

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 30

Honeystar

VIP Member
It’s funny isn’t it, I often feel like if someone asks me what I’m doing that evening and I say “oh I’m hooked on X series on Netflix” they don’t bat any eyelid. But if I was to say “reading my book” people seem judgey. I hate that reading isn’t really seen as a hobby in the way others are. If you enjoy painting or craft for instance and said that’s how you’re spending your weekend people would be impressed, if you say you’re planning to spend it reading your book people think your lonely, boring or lazy.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 27

JLXRD

VIP Member
I bit the bullet and got a kindle… it arrived Sunday and I am OBSESSED.

I read what I had left of All The Light We Cannot See (about 80%) on it and am already 60% through The Maidens. It definitely makes it easier to just pick and read a little bit in free time that I would otherwise have wasted on my phone.

Also I’m deep in the 99p deals now 🥲 rip mt bank account

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 25

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
If I'm being honest I do struggle listening to audio as my mind will drift off. Something in the audio will trigger a memory - oh no, I forgot to post a birthday card! etc etc. 😁
So I started listening to books I'd already read so I didn't lose my thread. I enjoyed that.
When someone on this forum mentioned about a timer on Borrowbox I used it to help me get to sleep, (i.e. shut my mind up!).
I think the only thing that has worked to help me have a zen mind is watching Lost Forest's videos. Thank you, thank you, thank you 🙏 to the person who recommended it.
So nice to have silence in my head from something other than a book. 😁
I'm just learning how to gift myself time to read a book, watch a video etc without being classed as lazy. So, yes audio is a bit of a struggle at the moment, but something to overcome in simplifying my life and putting me first.
Sorry for the waffle 😁🙄😏🤭
I get it. I struggle to take down time because Im never done. I always have house stuff to do, kids stuff to do, paid work to do. I feel guilty if I sit down to read or watch tv when there is still things 'to do'

However my therapist has introduced me to the concept of taking that time. That it will benefit me and it actually does. There are always things to do. No matter what.

Ive spoken before about how I use timers for reading but I actually use timers for a lot of things. Im chronically overwhelmed and really struggle with adult life. I dont want to derail the thread but I know I had a similar discussion with a few people on here before. That I have a lot of ingrained self loathing about why I cant cope like others, why am I lazy and messy and unable to manage. Its taken me a long time to try and have some acceptance that my brain works differently and also put coping mechanisms in place for myself.

Timers work wonders for me to carve out 30 minutes of reading time or 30 minutes to iron or tidy the kitchen or whatever and accepting that 30 minutes doesnt make my house a show home so 30 minutes to read wont make it a hovel either.

• Heart
Reactions: 25

twilightgarden

VIP Member
This is one of my favourite threads on here. 🥰 I’m reading my kindle on my lunch and it’s so nice to have a break and a bit of escapism for a change. Must do it more often!

• Heart
Reactions: 23

twilightgarden

VIP Member
I've always loved reading and I remember my granny coming to look for me in the summer holidays to find me curled up reading a book quite content. She said to me "you're never on your own when you can get lost in a book." 🥰 It has always stuck with me.
I don't think of reading as lazy, but I find I prefer to read over doing housework, for example. Then I feel bad I've not done my housework and prioritised reading but I love it so I'll just live with the dust. 😂
@Caffeine Fiend I have tried setting a timer for doing my housework and that's helped as I know it's only half an hour or whatever then I can get back to reading. It also reminds me of how much you can get done in a short period of time.

• Heart
Reactions: 22

twilightgarden

VIP Member
Delighted to announce my book mojo is back! 🥳 I’m off today so heading out shortly for a walk in the sunshine and going to the park to read with a coffee.

• Heart

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
I have got all the way to mid-April and still not read a 5* book. I don't think my scoring has got any harsher. I have read some good books, but nothing 5* worthy.

15.5 months without buying a book. It feels so good to actually be going through the books I already own. I remember the joy I felt when I bought it and then feel a bit of joy that I am not buying it then. Then I feel happy knowing I haven't spent any money on it now and am making a dent in all the books I own. Not sure that makes any sense, but working through the books I own is just as good as buying books in a different way.

I recommend it!

• Heart

Katykatykaty

VIP Member
Another reader with a gamer husband here 🙋🏻‍♀️

I’ve always been a reader (bar a spell for too long a few years back when I lost the joy) and I remember being praised for always having my head in a book as a child, then a teen I would find people would say “would you not rather be out with your friends?” then as an adult it’s “you’ve read how many books?! I’d never find the time for that!”

Isn’t it strange that something that’s regarded as such an important skill and praised in our younger years becomes something completely opposite as we grow. I read 124 books last year but I don’t sit with my head in a book constantly - I find little pockets of time to read throughout the day and then read at least half an hour every night before bed. It soon adds up but yet people are so amazed by it. I also watch lots of TV, films, scroll on my phone for too long and play video games occasionally but still manage to fit in what I enjoy most - reading.

• Heart

cill2019

VIP Member
Just don’t put your library books on top of the wardrobe and forget about them, then turn your house upside down because you can’t find them 😂😂😂🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 21

OH.FFS

VIP Member
IMG_4181.jpeg
4 novels for me this month and a yoga book.

I was taking part in the 52 book challenge. And in theory I will probably read 52 books this year. But, I was struggling with the themes and so after Weyward I decided I’m reading what I want and got stuck into
Beartown

Weyward 4.25/5
Beartown 5/5
Us Against You 5/5
The Winners 4.5/5

• Heart
Reactions: 20