Books #28

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
i completely forgot that long island is out next week! thank you for reminding me, brooklyn is one of my favourite books/films ever 💙 (the film is actually better than the book imo!)
---

i found wayward very meh tbh - though probably the most beautiful cover i read last year 🤣 i liked the middle story strand but i thought that she made the theme so obvious and the writing so clunky that it just didn’t hit for me.
That's what I'm thinking, atm it's only about 3 stars! I'm hoping for an exciting twist but bet it doesn't happen. I'm halfway through

• Heart
Reactions: 2
I don’t know it’s been discussed, but I’ve just finished listening to ‘none of this is true’ and absolutely loved it! I don’t know how it is to read, but it translated really well into an audio version.

Has anyone got any recommendations of audiobooks? I know I could listen to any books, but some are a chore to listen to with the wrong reader!

I’m really getting into them, I listen to and from work and finding it easier to listen, rather than read at the moment.

• Heart
Reactions: 8
Ah I really really enjoyed the ministry of time. It’s begging to be made into a film I think.
I’ve been trying to resist buying MoT in hardback BUT my resistance is weak and I need to pick up something from a shop 100 steps away from Waterstones over the weekend.. so we can all predict how this will end.

It’s being adapted by the BBC! Series not film though.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Well I’ve just read the thread back and I’ve picked up some recommendations, thank you! 🫶

I’ve started ‘listen for the lie’ and I’ve got a new list of TBR -

Beartown
The nightingale
The satsuma complex
The no show
The family upstairs
Remember me?
Weyward

Sad to hear Sophie kinsella is unwell, I absolutely adorned the shopaholic series when I was younger!

Reactions: 10
RIP Alice Munro. The Queen of a short story before short stories were even a "thing." She was once described as someone who could say more on 30 pages than most authors could on 300.

"The constant happiness is curiousity"

Carried Away is a collection of her favourite 17 short stories and a worthy read.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 15
Just in case anyone missed it like me, Netgalley does audio too, athough not as if I can afford to look at them, I'm on book 4 of my 12 ARCs I was given this month 🥴 🥴 🥴

Has anyone read FantasticLand by Mike Bockoven? I saw it mentioned on an instagram reel but it seems hard to get a hold of even though it was published 2016 😅 my library doesn't have it, world of books doesn't, sold out at waterstones and £21 for the paperback on Amazon! I can see it's free with audible but I don't get on with that format.

Just wondering if it was worth maybe paying the £10 on kindle was even worth it.

I got an email from Amazon telling me that there was a new book avaliable by Becky Papworth and it absolutely made my day.

She is a newish author ( she has written for TV before though), her first book was calles Janet Jackson's Yorkshire B&B. I picked it up because it was free on kindle for a few months and it was one of the funniest and most enjoyable books I read last year. It is about a women who sets up a b&b and all the drama that hijinks that happens as a result.

The sequel is out today, Janet Jackson Superhost. I can't decide if I should read it immediately or save it for when I need a laugh

Reactions: 7
I'm reading Weyward and not enjoying it so much. Doesn't help that I really really don't like birds, i have a bit of a phobia about them, and crows play a big role. I'm holding judgement on the witchy vibe as its not my genre but i want to see how it all ends up.
I actually really loved Weyward when I read it earlier this year! It gets mixed reviews on this thread though.

Checking in to say I started Diary of a Void on the train home today. My second book by a Japanese author this year. I am going to have to visit Japan, arent I???

Reactions: 4
Just popping on to say I’m LOVING Prima Facie on Audible. Jodie Comer’s narration is just brilliant. If I didn’t have a partner, child and dog I needed to communicate with tonight I’d have probably just listened to it in one go.

For now though, the rest will have to wait for tomorrow *sigh*

• Heart
Reactions: 13
I'm on my last borrowed book from Kindle Unlimited and will be cancelling the free trial as soon as I've finished. The majority of books I've read in the last 2 months have been meh and I've had a lot of 2* reads.

On a separate note, I've hardly bought any new Kindle books this year and was quite impressed with myself, until I realised that I made up for it by buying loads of paperbacks instead 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Just popping on to say I’m LOVING Prima Facie on Audible. Jodie Comer’s narration is just brilliant. If I didn’t have a partner, child and dog I needed to communicate with tonight I’d have probably just listened to it in one go.

For now though, the rest will have to wait for tomorrow *sigh*
If National Theatre ever stream the play again, you have to watch it.

The book/audio is great but seeing her deliver it in person and feeling all the emotions was amazing.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Finished Weyward, ended up slightly better than I thought at the midway point. Not read Agatha Christie for years, but did used to enjoy her books so after seeing her spoken about here I'm reading And Then There Were None. It's a great concept but I'm a bit disappointed by the lack of character development so far. I'm having trouble distinguishing between the male characters they all just feel the same!

Reactions: 6
Checking in to say I started Diary of a Void on the train home today. My second book by a Japanese author this year. I am going to have to visit Japan, arent I???
Oh that book is good!

I tend to read one translated Japanese fiction a month - love them!

For non-fiction I also want to read Abroad in Japan and How Kyoto Breaks Your Heart.

I accidentally stayed up until 1am finishing Binding 13, I don’t know how or when I got so invested in Shannon and Johnny as I am but I’m eyeing Keeping 13 as I yawn and drink coffee.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
I accidentally stayed up until 1am finishing Binding 13, I don’t know how or when I got so invested in Shannon and Johnny as I am but I’m eyeing Keeping 13 as I yawn and drink coffee.
okay well now i’m bumping this up my list 🤣

also huge shoutout to the folks in this thread (i remember @StephenTJackson but am sure there were a few others) who recommended the will of the many by james islington. not a book i would usually have considered but about a third of the way through right now and it is SO GOOD.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Finished the audiobook of Funny Story by Emily Henry yesterday. Only started it on Monday but I flew through it. Loved it so much!

I have only previously read Book Lovers prior to this but have them all on my kindle, just not got round to reading. Which would you recommend next? I know you weren't fans of Happy Place.

Also, Julia Whelan is my favourite narrator, I don't know whether to just get them on Audible now 🤦‍♀️🤣

Finished the audiobook of Funny Story by Emily Henry yesterday. Only started it on Monday but I flew through it. Loved it so much!

I have only previously read Book Lovers prior to this but have them all on my kindle, just not got round to reading. Which would you recommend next? I know you weren't fans of Happy Place.

Also, Julia Whelan is my favourite narrator, I don't know whether to just get them on Audible now 🤦‍♀️🤣
Julie Whelan is my favourite too 😍

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.