Books #24 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Guys, the drama...

Currently reading The Happy Couple by Naoise Dolan (love it, do read it).

We have a puppy....said puppy has ripped out a couple of the front pages and spilt a drink on the book. Two separate offences might I add.

This would be bad enough but the real issue is that this is a LIBRARY BOOK.

Pray for me and please, book Gods, forgive this sacrilege.

It reeks of 'my dog ate my homework'. They're gonna think I'm a disrespectful book hater 😢.

• Haha
Reactions: 16
My children have destroyed library books and they always take it in good humour when I return them. Middle Jelly actually wrote his (fairly unusual) name on about 60 (!!) pages of a novel, the librarian complimented him on his neat handwriting, inside I was thinking please don't encourage him. They let me order a copy from Amazon and give it to the library as that was cheaper than their £8.99 purchase.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Jelly, that's very sweet.

Twilight, hopefully puppy pics combined with my sad puppy face does the trick 😂.

My little one has ripped a children's book before with no repercussions even when she refused to say sorry because she was too shy. They gave her a shiny sticker. Hope I get one!

Reactions: 3
I’m also out of my reading slump - I’ve finished work for Christmas now so that has helped massively!

Reactions: 5
I'm reading The Accidental Medium atm, only a few chapters in but it's very good and very readable which is just what I need!

I'm also listening to the Good Girls Guide to Murder on spotify. Not a fan of audiobooks normally but the narrator is very nice to listen to and very good at doing the other characters voices, and as it's written almost in an epistolary style it really suits an audiobook.

Reactions: 4
Book pals, meet Winnie!

Screenshot_20231129_123300_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231129_123119_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20231129_123441_Gallery.jpg

On topic: might start Fourth Wing next. I keep putting it off. Not sure why I'm so intimidated by it. Perhaps because it's not my typical genre (any bad, sad, mad girls in Fourth Wing?!).

• Heart
Reactions: 37
I finished two twisted crowns. I am not okay 😭 infinity stars I loved it, I loved this Shepard King duo logy ♾️⭐
I went to Waterstones this evening to buy some presents (double points evening!) and One Dark Window fell in my hand and came home with me.. starting it tomorrow (and ignoring the other books I was definitely absolutely sure I was going to read next..)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 8
I finished None of This is True on audio the other day and I found because of the title I knew it was going to be a book where someone’s version of events wasn’t true so I just didn’t believe anyone along the way. It totally spoilt it for me and I was continually looking for holes in stories or ways to know which version of events was right. I kind of wish the title had been something else so I didn’t know what to expect quite so much. I did really enjoy the style of the audiobook using different voices for different characters and it sounding different if it was a news report or podcast etc.

• Sad
  • Heart
Re None of This is True didn’t they also release a companion podcast? I haven’t listened to it but maybe worth a go?

Has anyone read any of Imogen Clark's books? Started In A Single Moment last night, about 10% in but I really like her characterisation, I've formed opinions about the 4 lead characters. I love it when authors draw you into the book so quickly. Set a 100 book goal at the beginning of this year and this is book 92 so think I'm going to miss it. Still, 92 is better than 0.

Reactions: 3
Finished The List today and boy am I glad I borrowed from the library and didn’t spend my money on it 😬 interesting concept, poorly executed

Reactions: 8
harper collins have 50% off all books between 9 and 11am with code FESTIVE50

Theyre still guaranteeing xmas delivery and free postage over £25.

Reactions: 12
My finger slipped and I bought some books from amazon to add to my already tbr pile at home 😂 plus got an extra 5% off at checkout.

1. No Gun Intended £2.66, this caught my eye and started the spending
2. 1984 £2.99, I’ve always wanted to read this
3. A Pen Dipped in Poison £2.50, thought this would be a nice Xmas/winter read

These are physical books so it also felt like a treat as I just buy kindle now
---

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 10
My finger slipped and I bought some books from amazon to add to my already tbr pile at home 😂 plus got an extra 5% off at checkout.

1. No Gun Intended £2.66, this caught my eye and started the spending
2. 1984 £2.99, I’ve always wanted to read this
3. A Pen Dipped in Poison £2.50, thought this would be a nice Xmas/winter read

These are physical books so it also felt like a treat as I just buy kindle now
---
No Gun Intended is a decent, quick read.

Reactions: 2
Has anyone read The Book Thief? Years ago, I'd heard glowing recommendations from a few people (one an English teacher), but it's one of those situations where you've seen the film first and don't know if it's worth reading the book as well.

To add: I finished another death-related book last month - The First to Die at the End. It's the prequel to They Both Die at the End. (how cheerful is my tbr! 😂 ) Got to say, I preferred the latter. The prequel was very much the same book, only longer and more repetitive. There were still elements I liked, but overall I'd recommend just sticking with the first.

Reactions: 6
Has anyone read The Book Thief? Years ago, I'd heard glowing recommendations from a few people (one an English teacher), but it's one of those situations where you've seen the film first and don't know if it's worth reading the book as well.
I haven't seen the film so I'm not sure how they compare but I really liked the book. It did make me cry though, which not a lot of things do!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.