Books #24 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m so pleased there are a few fans of DCI Kett on here. Who is everyone’s favourite character? Gotta be Colin for me… the boss, not the dog 😂

Gonna get stuck back into the series after Christmas and try and get caught up with them.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I’m so pleased there are a few fans of DCI Kett on here. Who is everyone’s favourite character? Gotta be Colin for me… the boss, not the dog 😂

Gonna get stuck back into the series after Christmas and try and get caught up with them.
I quite like Duke and Porter 😅 although I do like the tossing boss…!

• Haha

Colin (not the dog) will always be my number one, I love him so much, he makes me cackle! 😂 although, kett will always have a special place in my heart. I just love them all so much! Still can’t believe I read the entire series in just under a month 😂

in other news, I’ve just finished verity and wtf did I just read..but I devoured the last 3/4 of it in 3 hours so I must’ve enjoyed it. If enjoyed is the right word. 🙈

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
My December list:
1. The Last House Guest - Megan Miranda 8/10
2. Murder on the Christmas Express - Alexandra Benedict 8.5/10
3. The House of Eve - Sadeqa Johnson 9/10

Still reading:
4. Ein Bild von Dir - Jojo Moyes
5. Yellowface - R.F. Kuang
6. Traummann an Bord - Sylvia Filz & S.K

Gave up:
Maybe Next Time - Ceska Major

If someone need any of my December books I could share .epub file.

Reactions: 7
Iron Flame was definitely a little slower than Fourth Wing but still really good, I’m excited for the next book, I hope we don’t have to wait too long..
From what I have seen she hasn't even started the first draft yet. So I think we have at least a year to wait 😭

I’m about 35% into Iron Flame and I’m enjoying it enough but after loving Fourth Wing I’m feeling slightly… meh. Hoping it picks up!

Before that I read Unholy Saints (DCI Kett) by Alex Smith. I always rave about that series on there but it’s so justified, I enjoy it so much 😅
Iron Flame was definitely a little slower than Fourth Wing but still really good, I’m excited for the next book, I hope we don’t have to wait too long..
I actually preferred iron flame. I know what you mean about it being a bit slow but I think world building improved and some of the stuff that didn't make sense in fourth wing started making more sense then

Just started The Pumpkin Spice Café. Only a few chapters in but so far it’s very cute. After Prophet Song I definitely needed something light

Reactions: 5
I actually preferred iron flame. I know what you mean about it being a bit slow but I think world building improved and some of the stuff that didn't make sense in fourth wing started making more sense then
I don’t mind a slow burner, I’m ready and willing to love it if it speeds up a bit!

At the moment I feel like it’s been 35% of Violet being like, I want to duck him, but he won’t be 1000% truthful and tell me every little thing I want to know, so I won’t do that, I’ll just kiss him, but it’s fake, we don’t mean it, hmm maybe I’ll let him back in, no wait he still won’t tell me everything… I don’t tell him everything either but that doesn’t matter… oh I want to duck him again, but he won’t be completely truthful with me, so I can’t. But I want to. But I can’t.

Arghh! Move it along, Violet.

Reactions: 4
I don’t mind a slow burner, I’m ready and willing to love it if it speeds up a bit!

At the moment I feel like it’s been 35% of Violet being like, I want to duck him, but he won’t be 1000% truthful and tell me every little thing I want to know, so I won’t do that, I’ll just kiss him, but it’s fake, we don’t mean it, hmm maybe I’ll let him back in, no wait he still won’t tell me everything… I don’t tell him everything either but that doesn’t matter… oh I want to duck him again, but he won’t be completely truthful with me, so I can’t. But I want to. But I can’t.

Arghh! Move it along, Violet.
No spoilers but if you're 35% in then you're in for a lot more slow burn 😅 sorry to be the bearer of bad news 😅

• Haha
Reactions: 5
No spoilers but if you're 35% in then you're in for a lot more slow burn 😅 sorry to be the bearer of bad news 😅
Ughhh nooo because I'm on page 170 (and I have been for like 3 weeks) and I am dreading continuing it because it's so slow. I read Fourth Wing in 2 days and was obsessed with it. I couldn't wait until Iron Flame was released but now that it's out I can't be bothered to continue reading it because I'm bored and get distracted so easily. Might have to read along with the audio book to try and keep me entertained :rolleyes:😂

Just finished Friends Like These by Sarah Alderson, quite good I gave it 4 stars. Just about to start The Shite Before Christmas, bit wary as it's billed as a laugh out loud comedy, and often I am so disappointed by the comedic writing style if the author, it often feels a bit try hard if you know what I mean. But it has 4.6 amazon stars so I'm hopeful!

Reactions: 2
Ughhh nooo because I'm on page 170 (and I have been for like 3 weeks) and I am dreading continuing it because it's so slow. I read Fourth Wing in 2 days and was obsessed with it. I couldn't wait until Iron Flame was released but now that it's out I can't be bothered to continue reading it because I'm bored and get distracted so easily. Might have to read along with the audio book to try and keep me entertained :rolleyes:😂
I was quite similar.. went out to get it on release day because the copy I pre-ordered hadn’t arrived yet and then had only read 50 pages by the time the original arrived… I think I read FW in 3 days and IF in 8/9.

Finished I died on a Tuesday by Jane Corry. Got it from Netgalley and would say to any fans not to bother buying it.
Very dissapointed with the story. Had great potential but juat completely flopped for me 75% in. It was building nicely to the big reveal but ended with 4/5 reveals and imo unsatisfactory ending. You were invested in the characters just for some to be completely abandoned by the author at the end.

Very very strange

• Sad
Finished I died on a Tuesday by Jane Corry. Got it from Netgalley and would say to any fans not to bother buying it.
Very dissapointed with the story. Had great potential but juat completely flopped for me 75% in. It was building nicely to the big reveal but ended with 4/5 reveals and imo unsatisfactory ending. You were invested in the characters just for some to be completely abandoned by the author at the end.

Very very strange
Oh no! 😔 I got approved for this the other day and was looking forward to starting it. I usually like her books too, that’s disappointing to hear.

I’d always recommend The Skylight by Louise Candlish as it’s the one that’s stuck with me
I love Louise Candlish books and am waiting for two to come into my local library, The Only Suspect and The Heights. I hadn't noticed the book The Skylight but I'll add this to my list as well as I can see the library has this book in circulation at other library branches nearby. Having looked at a précis of the story it sounds like my kind of book.

• Heart
I finished We All Want Beautiful Things. I loved it. It was a quick and easy read, in spite of the subject matter. Thought it was a really accurate depiction of death from a terminal illness too. I teared up reading it on my phone in a waiting room, but I don't think anyone noticed 😂 Definitely not a book I would have been aware of without this thread. So thank you!
I really enjoyed it too, thought it was very moving and funny but not overly sentimental which a book on that topic can easily be. It was so well written, it was quite clear the author had been through a similar experience herself. My only gripe with it was that having so many characters with named beginning with J didn't make for the smoothest reading!

Recently read Trespasses and feel I'm the only person who didn't enjoy it at all 😄

Last edited:
  • Heart
I really enjoyed it too, thought it was very moving and funny but not overly sentimental which a book on that topic can easily be. It was so well written, it was quite clear the author had been through a similar experience herself. My only gripe with it was that having so many characters with named beginning with J didn't make for the smoothest reading!
the J thing was my main gripe too! i wish an editor had told her to rename jules at least - having a jules a jude and a jonah was so confusing 🤣

• Haha
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.