Books #24 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have such FOMO, I’m definitely going to have to do this next year!
Me too!! I nearly bought one but decided against it. Totally regretting that particular life choice right now 😭

Reactions: 4
I treated myself to two Secret Santa's from Bert's Books, I am so nosy and want to know what they are. But equally I like a Christmas Day surprise.

I can't imagine the patience it took to wrap all the gifts and make them look so pretty.

View attachment 2631846
---
They are wrapped with no Sellotape as well. So clever.
I want one too 😂. Is it too late to purchase one now?I'm looking on the website and can't find anything secret santa

Reactions: 2
Has anyone read The Book Thief? Years ago, I'd heard glowing recommendations from a few people (one an English teacher), but it's one of those situations where you've seen the film first and don't know if it's worth reading the book as well.

To add: I finished another death-related book last month - The First to Die at the End. It's the prequel to They Both Die at the End. (how cheerful is my tbr! 😂 ) Got to say, I preferred the latter. The prequel was very much the same book, only longer and more repetitive. There were still elements I liked, but overall I'd recommend just sticking with the first.
I actually preferred the prequel! I found the characters more likeable.

The Book Thief is one of my favourite books of all time. I’ve never seen the film, as I don’t want it to ruin the book for me!

I want one too 😂. Is it too late to purchase one now?I'm looking on the website and can't find anything secret santa
Aw, it is too late for this year. I think closing date to join this year was towards the end of November so that he had time to sift through and make sure everyone was sent a book they hadn't purchased from him etc..

• Heart
Reactions: 5
two christmas gifts for my best friend have arrived 📚🥰
I hope these are the same size 🙈 its making me itchy.

What a great gift. Ive asked for Iron Flame but Im not hopeful. My OH said whats an iron flame and a yarros. 🙄 (he does buy amazing gifts on the whole so Im not complaining)

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 12
I hope these are the same size 🙈 its making me itchy.

What a great gift. Ive asked for Iron Flame but Im not hopeful. My OH said whats an iron flame and a yarros. 🙄 (he does buy amazing gifts on the whole so Im not complaining)
they actually are i just laid them down in a silly way 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I've just finished Wavewalker: Breaking Free. What an interesting but very sad memoir. The author had a very hard time of things, but did not give off the woe is me vibes of The Salt Path or Wild.

I finished The Plight Before Christmas this morning.

I struggled to connect with the main characters for quite some time despite relating to some of their situation. But the last 25-30% of the book tipped it over to a 4⭐ book for me. Emotional and funny - oh my god how I laughed at the dusting scene 😂

I am starting to think I have a problem with the first half of most books. So many books can take me a long time to get to that ‘can’t put it down’ feeling.

Anyway next up is Sarah Morgan’s The Christmas Book Club - anyone read it yet?

I have an ARC of the new Sarah Goodwin book, The Yacht. I’ve not read much yet. It’s ok so far but seems to be similar to so many other books. Has anyone else read it?

Just finished The Life and Loves of a He Devil by Graham Norton. I struggled to get into it at the start, and he did make me cry - reminding me of a dark period in my past, but I was left wondering why I don't remember the chat show, where he was clocked on the head from a great height by a metal bar in front of Tom Cruise - "a sickening crack echoing out from his skull to fill the whole studio, and the second was 600 people gasping and holding their breath......."
Maybe they didn't broadcast it 🤔
Anyway onto the next book - either the beloved George Alagiah or the tome that is Barbra 🤔

Just started reading the tome that is Barbra Streisand's autobiography and hurrah I was hooked immediately!!!😁
She mentions reading a book by Charles Lamb which pinged a memory of seeing the film The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, and later reading the book.
Who is this Charles Lamb that I have heard tell of so much? Maybe I should add him to my to be read list🤔

My 11 year old niece asked for books for Christmas. She makes me so proud 🥹 She reads at a year 9 level and wanted the twilight books so I got her the series and also a special edition of A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder, which I hope she will also love. She is so much like me 😅

• Heart
Reactions: 17
Just finished The housemaid - Freida McFadden! I loved it, so fast paced and such a good read!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Just started reading the tome that is Barbra Streisand's autobiography and hurrah I was hooked immediately!!!😁
She mentions reading a book by Charles Lamb which pinged a memory of seeing the film The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, and later reading the book.
Who is this Charles Lamb that I have heard tell of so much? Maybe I should add him to my to be read list🤔
Charles Lamb and his sister Mary wrote Tales from Shakespeare for children in the 1800s - incidentally was the way my parents introduced me to Shakespeare.

I just looked them up on wiki because I was pretty sure there was some sort of mental illness involved, and yes, Mary "worn down to a state of extreme nervous misery by attention to needlework by day and to her mother at night" stabbed her mother and killed her.

• Sad
  • Wow
Appreciate this is a bit early but does anyone think Waterstones will do their half price hardback sale this year? Not that I need more books but I'm eyeing up Prophet Song after Mr B said he wasn't getting it for my Christmas :(

Reactions: 6
Woo, The Christmas Appeal by Janice Hallett has become available for me on Libby 🥳

I finished a Christmas thriller last night and started The Shite Before Christmas, so I’ll read this one after. Doing well with the Christmas reads so far!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.