Books #24 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I haven't seen the film so I'm not sure how they compare but I really liked the book. It did make me cry though, which not a lot of things do!
I always cry. 😅 It's a problem.

Bathtub coin womble is looking excellent today btw. :p

• Haha
Reactions: 2
I’ve had a massive lack of sleep this week (my puppy is not as cute as Winnie atm!) and I’ve spent the early hours looking for book challenges for next year. Despite saying I’m not going to do another, I’ve now decided I’m doing A-Z again and another I’ve seen 😅 but I’m going to tie the two in together.

This is what I’m attempting, if anyone else is interested too.

Reading Challenge 2024
A Book A Week with The Booklist Queen

1. You Meant to Read Last Year
2. Goodreads Winner in 2023
3. About Mental Health
4. Five-Star Read
5. An Audiobook
6. Set in the 1950s
7. Unreliable Narrator
8. Book Becoming Movie in 2024
9. With an Epilogue
10. About Starting Over
11. Author You Love
12. Flowers on the Cover
13. Title Starts with “B”
14. Published in 2014
15. Purple Cover
16. Historical Mystery
17. With Multiple Points of View
18. A Book You Couldn’t Put Down
19. One Word Title
20. Debut Author
21. 2023 Bestseller
22. Intriguing Premise
23. A Friend’s Favorite Book
24. Author from the Southern Hemisphere
25. About Secrets
26. Bottom of Your To-Read List
27. Your Favorite Genre
28. Character Who is an Actor
29. Recommended on a Podcast
30. Set in Paris
31. Ugly Cover
32. Set in a Small Town
33. Three Books by the Same Author (1)
34. Three Books by the Same Author (2)
35. Three Books by the Same Author (3)
36. A Quick Read
37. Set During Autumn
38. Classic by a Female Author
39. Memoir by a Person You Admire
40. About a Historical Event
41. Written Under a Pseudonym
42. Legal Thriller
43. Fantasy Book
44. Popular Book You’ve Never Read
45. Inspiring Nonfiction
46. 2024 New Release
47. Genre You Don’t Usually Read
48. You Own But Haven’t Read
49. Book About Books
50. Book Everyone Is Talking About
51. With a Place in the Title
52. Reread a Favorite

• Heart
Reactions: 15
Does anyone have any shorter challenges? I'd love to do one this year but I'm probably not going to get through more than 20 books if I'm lucky.

Reactions: 8
Does anyone have any shorter challenges? I'd love to do one this year but I'm probably not going to get through more than 20 books if I'm lucky.
You could choose 20 from the above challenge? Or this year a lot of people did the alphabet challenge, to read a book starting with each letter of the alphabet.

I'm terrible at sticking to book challenges 😂 my book goals next year are to read at least a book a week, and to join a book club and go every month. I found one to join and January's book is Yellowface.

Reactions: 10
Currently listening to the audiobook of None of This is True by Lisa Jewell and I am gripped! I've spent my workdays counting down to listening on the bus home 😀
Finished this morning. I have... Thoughts. The book was incredibly written and kept me tense and gripped throughout, however there was a choice taken by the author that I vehemently disagree with and it's soured my opinion!

Reactions: 5
I'll probably end up setting my general reading goal as 40 again as I did this year and just pepper in a couple of other challenges.
I'm definitely going to challenge myself to read one book a month from a genre I wouldn't usually go for - e.g. historical or fantasy fiction.
Also I need to use the library more for sure! Curb my book buying habits...

Has anyone read The Book Thief? Years ago, I'd heard glowing recommendations from a few people (one an English teacher), but it's one of those situations where you've seen the film first and don't know if it's worth reading the book as well.

To add: I finished another death-related book last month - The First to Die at the End. It's the prequel to They Both Die at the End. (how cheerful is my tbr! 😂 ) Got to say, I preferred the latter. The prequel was very much the same book, only longer and more repetitive. There were still elements I liked, but overall I'd recommend just sticking with the first.
I loved the book but haven't seen the film so not sure!

Reactions: 1
Has anyone read The Book Thief? Years ago, I'd heard glowing recommendations from a few people (one an English teacher), but it's one of those situations where you've seen the film first and don't know if it's worth reading the book as well.

To add: I finished another death-related book last month - The First to Die at the End. It's the prequel to They Both Die at the End. (how cheerful is my tbr! 😂 ) Got to say, I preferred the latter. The prequel was very much the same book, only longer and more repetitive. There were still elements I liked, but overall I'd recommend just sticking with the first.
Love the book! Read it before the film and I did enjoy the film but the book is even better.

Reactions: 1
I’m so tempted by all of the different book challenges but at the same time I’m trying to take a bit of pressure off my reading and not be hung up on goals and targets. Maybe I’ll use some of the lists as inspiration when I’m stuck on what to read next rather than actually trying to complete a challenge.

Speaking of what to read next, my Bert’s Books Secret Santa arrived today. It’s beautifully wrapped so part of me wants to leave it under the tree till the big day, but I’m also really intrigued to see what it is!

Attachments

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Speaking of what to read next, my Bert’s Books Secret Santa arrived today. It’s beautifully wrapped so part of me wants to leave it under the tree till the big day, but I’m also really intrigued to see what it is!
I was too impatient and opened mine 🙊

• Haha
My December list:
1. The Last House Guest - Megan Miranda 8/10
2. Murder on the Christmas Express - Alexandra Benedict 8.5/10
3. The House of Eve - Sadeqa Johnson 9/10
4. Yellowface - R.F. Kuang 7.5/10

Still reading:
5. Ein Bild von Dir - Jojo Moyes
6. Traummann an Bord - Sylvia Filz & S.K
7. The House in the Pines - Ana Reyes

With this cold weather I am taking all the the free time for reading.
In morning 1h, directly after work 30min and in the evening 1h.
And I absolutely love it!

Reactions: 9
I went to Waterstones this evening to buy some presents (double points evening!) and One Dark Window fell in my hand and came home with me.. starting it tomorrow (and ignoring the other books I was definitely absolutely sure I was going to read next..)
an excellent decision! One of my absolute faves, I hope you enjoy it 😁

Reactions: 3
My December list:
1. The Last House Guest - Megan Miranda 8/10
2. Murder on the Christmas Express - Alexandra Benedict 8.5/10
3. The House of Eve - Sadeqa Johnson 9/10
4. Yellowface - R.F. Kuang 7.5/10

Still reading:
5. Ein Bild von Dir - Jojo Moyes
6. Traummann an Bord - Sylvia Filz & S.K
7. The House in the Pines - Ana Reyes

With this cold weather I am taking all the the free time for reading.
In morning 1h, directly after work 30min and in the evening 1h.
And I absolutely love it!
I take it you'll be sunbathing this weekend, now it's warming up? You can still read and sunbathe. 😉
The House of Eve book title sounds interesting. What kind of book is it?
ETA That's if you're in the UK re the weather.

I’m so tempted by all of the different book challenges but at the same time I’m trying to take a bit of pressure off my reading and not be hung up on goals and targets. Maybe I’ll use some of the lists as inspiration when I’m stuck on what to read next rather than actually trying to complete a challenge.

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I’ve had a massive lack of sleep this week (my puppy is not as cute as Winnie atm!) and I’ve spent the early hours looking for book challenges for next year. Despite saying I’m not going to do another, I’ve now decided I’m doing A-Z again and another I’ve seen 😅 but I’m going to tie the two in together.

This is what I’m attempting, if anyone else is interested too.

Reading Challenge 2024
A Book A Week with The Booklist Queen

1. You Meant to Read Last Year
2. Goodreads Winner in 2023
3. About Mental Health
4. Five-Star Read
5. An Audiobook
6. Set in the 1950s
7. Unreliable Narrator
8. Book Becoming Movie in 2024
9. With an Epilogue
10. About Starting Over
11. Author You Love
12. Flowers on the Cover
13. Title Starts with “B”
14. Published in 2014
15. Purple Cover
16. Historical Mystery
17. With Multiple Points of View
18. A Book You Couldn’t Put Down
19. One Word Title
20. Debut Author
21. 2023 Bestseller
22. Intriguing Premise
23. A Friend’s Favorite Book
24. Author from the Southern Hemisphere
25. About Secrets
26. Bottom of Your To-Read List
27. Your Favorite Genre
28. Character Who is an Actor
29. Recommended on a Podcast
30. Set in Paris
31. Ugly Cover
32. Set in a Small Town
33. Three Books by the Same Author (1)
34. Three Books by the Same Author (2)
35. Three Books by the Same Author (3)
36. A Quick Read
37. Set During Autumn
38. Classic by a Female Author
39. Memoir by a Person You Admire
40. About a Historical Event
41. Written Under a Pseudonym
42. Legal Thriller
43. Fantasy Book
44. Popular Book You’ve Never Read
45. Inspiring Nonfiction
46. 2024 New Release
47. Genre You Don’t Usually Read
48. You Own But Haven’t Read
49. Book About Books
50. Book Everyone Is Talking About
51. With a Place in the Title
52. Reread a Favorite
Nice challenge. I think I can get on board with this. The alphabet one never interests me. Excited to do this one.

I treated myself to two Secret Santa's from Bert's Books, I am so nosy and want to know what they are. But equally I like a Christmas Day surprise.

I can't imagine the patience it took to wrap all the gifts and make them look so pretty.

1000016886.jpg

---
They are wrapped with no Sellotape as well. So clever.

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I have such FOMO, I’m definitely going to have to do this next year!

Reactions: 4
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.