Books #24 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I have a TBR list as long as my arm but realllly need to get back into reading.
Quite fancy trying some fantasy books but unsure wheres best to start, can anyone recommend any shortish (preferably 350/under pages), easy to follow, not too many characters and grabs you in from the start books?
I normally read crime thrillers/romancey so this is a totally new category!
I'm reading some M C Beaton's as I don't want anything too taxing at the moment. Don't read fantasy so can't help you there.

Reactions: 5
Just finished Tender is the Flesh and it was very good, the dystopia was really well formed and there weren’t any major plot holes but I’ve only given it 4/5 as it just made me feel icky throughout - I know that’s the point buuut 5 is reserved for faves and don’t think I could call it a fave though it is v good

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Bit late to the party but I read 3 books in November. My grandfather unfortunately passed away so was very absent from reading (understandably!). I also went to read the Lisa Jewell book (as an audio book) on the drive to his funeral and started and finished the wrong one 🤪. I’ll hopefully get to the right one in December.

Absolutely loved Green Dot though!

IMG_3484.jpeg

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 22
Which country are you in. I'm in the UK and don't have to pay or travel to collect my books. They are sent to my local library and if I was someone unable to get out they would deliver them.
I think it's recognised here how good books are for people, especially as things like loneliness and disability can end up costing the Government/taxpayers a hell of a lot of money.
People don't reveal how bad they feel, and I must say, I've been shocked to hear about people I know who I've dropped books off to that I thought they would like, and been told later they'd nearly took the print off the books they enjoyed them so much. But they're unfortunately too proud to take advantage of the home delivery service.
---

Mine seems quite busy and not quiet - the Knit and natter club especially deafening 😄
It's getting like a community centre with lots of clubs. I swear I heard someone say there is going to be a dancing club!
And my local GP surgery seems to be turning into a community centre with clubs and I noticed leaflets about loneliness and disability etc.
@Chocolategoggler I think you misread my comment I said county not country. I'm in the UK too. The county is Lancashire and members can borrow or return books to any library in Lancashire which I think is a very good service. They also have different groups who use the library such as knit and natter and childrens' groups etc. last winter it was also designated a warm hub for people needing to keep warm during the energy crisis.

Reactions: 3
I have a TBR list as long as my arm but realllly need to get back into reading.
Quite fancy trying some fantasy books but unsure wheres best to start, can anyone recommend any shortish (preferably 350/under pages), easy to follow, not too many characters and grabs you in from the start books?
I normally read crime thrillers/romancey so this is a totally new category!
you could try One Dark Window, I really enjoyed that book and the characters are great. A Court of Thorns and Roses got me back into reading fantasy last year and now I can’t get enough of it!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Bit late to the party but I read 3 books in November. My grandfather unfortunately passed away so was very absent from reading (understandably!). I also went to read the Lisa Jewell book (as an audio book) on the drive to his funeral and started and finished the wrong one 🤪. I’ll hopefully get to the right one in December.

Absolutely loved Green Dot though!

View attachment 2606753
"Then she was gone" was one of my favourite Lisa Jewell books. She is one of my favourite authors.

Just finished Tender is the Flesh and it was very good, the dystopia was really well formed and there weren’t any major plot holes but I’ve only given it 4/5 as it just made me feel icky throughout - I know that’s the point buuut 5 is reserved for faves and don’t think I could call it a fave though it is v good
I felt exactly the same! I remember thinking I’m not sure how to improve it but I couldn’t give it 5 stars. Really interesting premise though that still sticks with me almost 2 years on.

you could try One Dark Window, I really enjoyed that book and the characters are great. A Court of Thorns and Roses got me back into reading fantasy last year and now I can’t get enough of it!
I really enjoyed one dark window, the magic system was so unique! I have two twisted crowns on my TBR after my festive reads and I finally want to commit to Throne of Glass 😅

Reactions: 3
I really enjoyed one dark window, the magic system was so unique! I have two twisted crowns on my TBR after my festive reads and I finally want to commit to Throne of Glass 😅
I just finished TTC, it was sooo good, I love the magic system, it works really well! Also love TOG, hope you enjoy it! I want to reread that but it is a big commitment 😅

Reactions: 1
@Chocolategoggler I think you misread my comment I said county not country. I'm in the UK too. The county is Lancashire and members can borrow or return books to any library in Lancashire which I think is a very good service. They also have different groups who use the library such as knit and natter and childrens' groups etc. last winter it was also designated a warm hub for people needing to keep warm during the energy crisis.
Yeah I'm in Kent and we have to pay £1 reservation fees and can borrow or return to any kent library!

• Wow
Yeah I'm in Kent and we have to pay £1 reservation fees and can borrow or return to any kent library!
Hearing about reservation fees makes me grateful for my county library. No fees if you do it yourself online/on the app/through the library machines, although it is £1.15 if you get staff to place it.

They are also part of a consortium, so as well as all the items in the county, we have access to all the items in the consortium which includes other counties and London Boroughs.

Reactions: 9
Is it £1 per book? That seems quite a fee to essentially electronically reserve a book. Thats wild.

Completely free here.

Reactions: 7
Sounds like mine without the charges. Maybe that's next for us. 🤔😬😔

Reactions: 1
Oxfordshire is £1.30 for a reservation. It's quite pricey but I have found them to be very quick with new releases.

• Wow
Is it £1 per book? That seems quite a fee to essentially electronically reserve a book. Thats wild.

Completely free here.
Yep £1 per book here. I guess it varies from county to county, There can't be much admin involved but i guess they are trying to shore up the library budgets. Ours is a busy library so I guess they lust make a fair bit!

Reactions: 4
Ours is 30p for reserving physical books. I’ve only been successful getting one so far and have then cancelled others as they’ve been available quicker in other formats.

Reactions: 2
Thank you so much!
I actually quite fancy ACOTAR but worried due to the size of the books/how many there are.
Everyone always raves about it!

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Thank you so much!
I actually quite fancy ACOTAR but worried due to the size of the books/how many there are.
Everyone always raves about it!
i’m not a big fantasy reader and really enjoyed ACOTAR so would second that recommendation. the cast is fairly small in the first one and the world building is easy to follow too (two things that always scare me in fantasy 🤣) - they do get more intense though!

Our area is free to reserve books and there are 11 libraries under the same umbrella, you can return (and take out) books from each one.

All the libraries have lots of activities/groups right from toddler storytime, older children weekend stuff to pensioner coffee mornings and groups.

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.