Books #24 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’m still reading the new Terry Hayes and it has really taken an unexpected turn 75% into the novel it’s turned into World War Z. It’s like reading two completely different books and/or genres 🤯
You might have finished it by now, I just finished it yesterday (and was at the same point as you when you posted, so didn't read the spoiler), I think I did a big sigh because it already felt like a slog at that point tbh and thought I couldn't be arsed anymore. It worked out ok though and got back on track!

Reactions: 2
I’m reading Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld, which is set in an elite boarding school in New England.

Crying out to be adapted for TV!

Reactions: 6
i finally finished local woman missing by mary kubica this morning. i thought i would be reading so much more during my vacation, but there hasn't been that much time! has anyone read it and what did you think? i gave it 3 stars

i don't really know how to feel about it, it certainly wasn't a masterpiece and was very simply written with plenty of plot holes but i didn't guess the outcome and i found myself thinking about it when i couldn't read it

i think don't let her stay by nicola sanders is next for me!

Reactions: 3
I had quite a good reading month thanks to my 2 week holiday. I finished:
Watching You by Lisa Jewell ***
Lockdown by Peter May **
Gone by Michael Grant ****
Queen of Shadows by Sarah J Maas ****
The Couple at No 9 by Claire Douglas ***
Their Little Secrets by Vanessa Garbin ***
Before and After by Andrew Shanahan *****
The Versions of Us by Laura Barnett **
Broadcast by Liam Brown ***

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Day 2 on the book dec advent calendar was A Little Princess 👸🏻

Also my copy of Confessions by Kanae Minato just arrived, have heard good things, anyone here read it?

Reactions: 5
Friendly reminder use your library.. even if you don't read the books pop in and check a few out now n then. They want to close our local one and move to a few books in a room at the council . I used to use it all the time..but the amount of actual books got less and less and I couldn't find much I anted to read. They also took a lot of the computers out during Covid and never put them back. A lot of ppl can't afford their own but everything needs to be done online so its a valuable public service.

They want to sell off the 6 storey building on the High Street for flats...zzzz

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 20
I’m reading Prep by Curtis Sittenfeld, which is set in an elite boarding school in New England.

Crying out to be adapted for TV!
i love curtis sittenfeld and LOVE prep, her writing style is so gorgeous to me. it definitely would make a great tv series.

also HERE YOU ALL ARE 🤣 i was thinking you’d been quiet. i need to read six books in december to hit my target of 80. just finished really good, actually which i honestly liked far more than i expected to, though i know it’s a very marmite book. spending that much time in the head of a character who is spiralling isn’t an easy read, but the quality of the writing and the humour helped it for me.

• Heart
Friendly reminder use your library.. even if you don't read the books pop in and check a few out now n then. They want to close our local one and move to a few books in a room at the council . I used to use it all the time..but the amount of actual books got less and less and I couldn't find much I anted to read. They also took a lot of the computers out during Covid and never put them back. A lot of ppl can't afford their own but everything needs to be done online so its a valuable public service.

Ours is closing for a few weeks soon for heating improvements, which is obviously a good thing although people are still moaning it’ll be closed 😂

Anyway, I’m hoping the comments they’ve received will mean we’re not in danger of it permanently closing any time soon because a lot of people obviously rely on it heavily. I’m also wondering if they’ll still allow us to go in and take out a few books before they close 👀

Ours is closing for a few weeks soon for heating improvements, which is obviously a good thing although people are still moaning it’ll be closed 😂

Anyway, I’m hoping the comments they’ve received will mean we’re not in danger of it permanently closing any time soon because a lot of people obviously rely on it heavily. I’m also wondering if they’ll still allow us to go in and take out a few books before they close 👀
the odd things is with ours a few yrs back they closed it for ages to completely renovate and moved to a store in the shopping centre with a few books in.. i get the feeling this is what will happen again. only this time at the local council building.. i cannot imagine it would be open at weekends and evenings.. you should see the mass exodus the second it hits 5pm

My mate who owns a local tshirt printing business has printed and given away tshirts and is vocal in the campaign to save the library. it really is a scandal especially the way they tried to do it secretly and not consult the public. Idk how the information got out..

what on earth are they going to do with the 7 grand ! electric table they bought for people with dementia and learning difficulties. mind you i have never once seen anyone use it

Local Oxfam is closing down so they had a sale on... 50p for any book... Not a lot of interesting general fiction left but I did pick up a couple of books, some kid books for my LO and 5 vintage books from the 50s/60s (three Enid Blytons which I'm sure are full of dodgy views and language and a two book set of Pickwick Papers)

Reactions: 4

In our Borough during the austerity cuts they planned to permanently close three of the five libraries. There was a great deal of opposition to this plan and they eventually only closed one, the one in my small town. I now visit the one in the next town which is still quite nearby. I went this morning, Saturday, to get some books and it was very quiet. It's a market town with three major supermarkets, one right next to the library. It used to be much busier and I wish more people would use it to safeguard it's future.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I went Christmas shopping today, quite successfully.

Thought i'd pop in to Waterstones. Not for anything. Just a nice little mooch while I was out.

1000004803.jpg

£86 later.

1000004804.jpg

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16
I use our local library all the time. I request books and pay less than £1 when I get them. Most books I want I can get but sometimes have to wait a little bit longer. As ours is a county library I can use any library within the county and sometimes the book I want may be in another library a couple of miles away so I can go there to get books. It's a really good service which means I don't need to spend a lot of money. I also use local charity shops as well.
Which country are you in. I'm in the UK and don't have to pay or travel to collect my books. They are sent to my local library and if I was someone unable to get out they would deliver them.
I think it's recognised here how good books are for people, especially as things like loneliness and disability can end up costing the Government/taxpayers a hell of a lot of money.
People don't reveal how bad they feel, and I must say, I've been shocked to hear about people I know who I've dropped books off to that I thought they would like, and been told later they'd nearly took the print off the books they enjoyed them so much. But they're unfortunately too proud to take advantage of the home delivery service.
---
In our Borough during the austerity cuts they planned to permanently close three of the five libraries. There was a great deal of opposition to this plan and they eventually only closed one, the one in my small town. I now visit the one in the next town which is still quite nearby. I went this morning, Saturday, to get some books and it was very quiet. It's a market town with three major supermarkets, one right next to the library. It used to be much busier and I wish more people would use it to safeguard it's future.
Mine seems quite busy and not quiet - the Knit and natter club especially deafening 😄
It's getting like a community centre with lots of clubs. I swear I heard someone say there is going to be a dancing club!
And my local GP surgery seems to be turning into a community centre with clubs and I noticed leaflets about loneliness and disability etc.

Last edited:
  • Haha
@Chocolategoggler Laughing at your comment about the knit and natter group. The ones at my library make a right racket too! 😂 I love my library and use it a lot, I would be so upset if it was closed. It saves me a fortune in books and I like chatting with the staff. They sometimes have author events which are good.

@Chocolategoggler Laughing at your comment about the knit and natter group. The ones at my library make a right racket too! 😂 I love my library and use it a lot, I would be so upset if it was closed. It saves me a fortune in books and I like chatting with the staff. They sometimes have author events which are good.
I missed out on author events as they put them on the online notice board which I didn't know about. I can't get over what they offer now. Wish I'd known, as it was so boring when I was a library member years ago.
I nag everyone now to join but they just roll their eyes. They must think I'm making it up! 🤷

Reactions: 7
Mine put up event posters around the library as well as advertising online so it’s good. Some people scoff when I say I love the library but I get so many books, I’ve made friends with the librarians and other members through clubs there. Everyone else is missing out!

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Mine put up event posters around the library as well as advertising online so it’s good. Some people scoff when I say I love the library but I get so many books, I’ve made friends with the librarians and other members through clubs there. Everyone else is missing out!
I'm a bit oblivious quite often so you'd have to slap me in the face with them. 😄
Plus don't think the librarians like me as I mess up their shelves. Particularly bloke librarians - one of them walks off the minute he sees me. 😄 But I'm like a kiddie in a sweet shop. All the books I can't afford. Even the ones on Sainsbury's shelves just released. I go mad placing holds on them and then next day realise I've ordered in 20 books at once!!!!!
Is there a bookaholics anonymous?

• Haha
Reactions: 5
I have a TBR list as long as my arm but realllly need to get back into reading.
Quite fancy trying some fantasy books but unsure wheres best to start, can anyone recommend any shortish (preferably 350/under pages), easy to follow, not too many characters and grabs you in from the start books?
I normally read crime thrillers/romancey so this is a totally new category!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.