Books #24 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Maybe that's why I'm manically reading all the books I've wanted to buy for years.
I've just got The French Gardener from the library and I'm hooked I tell you! Mysterious and magical is how I would describe it so far. Can feel myself staying up till the early hours to finish it. 😬🙄🙄
I'm never going to get anything done for Christmas at this rate! 🤭

Reactions: 1
currently reading we all want impossible things by catherine newman and, oh boy, if you want a completely devastating mediation on death and female friendship then this is the book for you. not exactly a festive read, but beautiful.

however, wish she hadn’t named characters jude, jules and jonah. it continually confuses me 🤣

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
Spent the last hour reading Small Things Like These by Claire Keegan: short and powerful, 5 stars. Now off to read the other two Keegan books I got from the public library. Thanks to the people who recommended Keegan here ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Our area is free to reserve books and there are 11 libraries under the same umbrella, you can return (and take out) books from each one.

All the libraries have lots of activities/groups right from toddler storytime, older children weekend stuff to pensioner coffee mornings and groups.
Same, not sure we've got that many libraries in the area though. Ours can also request books from a few local counties that may have better stock. They do loads at the library in our small village - health visitor hubs, stay and plays, costume exchanges around halloween, are a designated warm space, knit and natter, support groups etc.

Reactions: 3
currently reading we all want impossible things by catherine newman and, oh boy, if you want a completely devastating mediation on death and female friendship then this is the book for you. not exactly a festive read, but beautiful.
finished it: devastating, funny in places, completely unforgiving and yet really compassionate at the same time. the author volunteers in a hospice and you can absolutely tell.

i like to take photos of paragraphs from books and save them to my phone in my “writing that destroyed me this year” album so i’ll share the one from this book with you all:

IMG_4454.jpeg

now to read a fluffy romance because god 😭😭

• Heart
Reactions: 15
finished it: devastating, funny in places, completely unforgiving and yet really compassionate at the same time. the author volunteers in a hospice and you can absolutely tell.

i like to take photos of paragraphs from books and save them to my phone in my “writing that destroyed me this year” album so i’ll share the one from this book with you all:

View attachment 2607821

I read this earlier in the year and rated it highly, such a big book in only 200something pages. Looking forward to the authors next book which I think is out mid next year.

I also take photos of paragraphs from books but have failed to put them in a folder, you’ve inspired me to locate them! Plus it’s a fun game of ‘which book was this from..’

• Heart
Reactions: 7

View attachment 2607821

This absolutely sounds like something I want to read. Love that you take photos of passages from books and save them.

Reading that made me tear up. After a personal loss earlier this year, I heavily curated most content I consumed - including books, but it was mostly internet/social media etc. In spite of my extreme sensitivity to everything for quite a while, I actually think that I would have enjoyed a 'writing that destroyed me' album during that time 😆

And also thank you to whoever mentioned the audio version of Hidden Valley Road. Listened this week (and typically don't listen to books) and it was a great listen.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
Thank you so much!
I actually quite fancy ACOTAR but worried due to the size of the books/how many there are.
Everyone always raves about it!
I’ve never been interested in the fantasy genre either but I’ve decided I’m going to delve into it next year. I’ve asked for Fourth Wing and Iron Flame for Christmas and then I’m going to read ACOTAR and go from there.

I wasn’t going to do another A-Z challenge but actually, I’ve already started listing books to read. I want to see how different it looks from this year.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
This absolutely sounds like something I want to read. Love that you take photos of passages from books and save them.

Reading that made me tear up. After a personal loss earlier this year, I heavily curated most content I consumed - including books, but it was mostly internet/social media etc. In spite of my extreme sensitivity to everything for quite a while, I actually think that I would have enjoyed a 'writing that destroyed me' album during that time 😆

And also thank you to whoever mentioned the audio version of Hidden Valley Road. Listened this week (and typically don't listen to books) and it was a great listen.
sending you lots and lots of love 💙💙 xx (it is a beautiful book for when you feel ready to read it)

i use “destroy” in both a positive and negative way 🤣 i might post my greatest selections here when we do our 2023 round-ups.

i really liked hidden valley road: again such a tragic book and i came away just so so sad and frustrated for those children, but fascinating to read.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Just to expand on what I’d said recently about a Christmas readathon too, here are some notes I’ve made so far.

I’m going to create a new thread for it on 22nd that we could have running until the end of the year so people can dip in when it suits.

Let me know if there are any other suggestions other than what I have and I’ll include them!

Christmas book readathon
  • New books for Christmas
  • 2024 wish list
  • 2023 BOTY
  • Anything new you’re trying?
  • What are you planning to read
  • Any challenges for 2024? A-Z etc

• Snacks/Drink
  • What
  • Where
  • How long
  • Memorable line
  • General review so far

• Heart
Reactions: 14
You might have finished it by now, I just finished it yesterday (and was at the same point as you when you posted, so didn't read the spoiler), I think I did a big sigh because it already felt like a slog at that point tbh and thought I couldn't be arsed anymore. It worked out ok though and got back on track!
I agree it has very much felt like a slog. I just think the twist (if you'd like to call it that) was so strange as he's not in that sort of genre. It was so out of left field I feel like he must've had a fever dream and then just included that in his novel.

Still enjoyed his writing but would give this 3/5 just for twist 75% in

Reactions: 2
I listened recently too because it was mentioned on here. Fascinating isn’t it! Now looking for my next audible read, recommendations welcome.

• Heart
Reactions: 2

View attachment 2607821

Ohh, this is right up my street - I work with people on end of life pathways a lot of the time.

This is tangentially related but the Eulogy from a Physicist was recently brought to my attention, another beautifully devastating piece of writing about loss.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Hello! It’s been a while since I’ve posted! I’ve been super busy with life haha. I’m currently reading Wretched by Emily McIntire and I’m loving it. I read Hooked earlier this year and I read Scarred last week and I loved them both, but I think Wretched might be my favourite so far ❤🔥

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I’ve had a lazy day today and was so looking forward to a day of reading but I’ve only read a few chapters 😢 I hope my reading mojo comes back very soon!

• Heart
Reactions: 12
I’ve never been interested in the fantasy genre either but I’ve decided I’m going to delve into it next year. I’ve asked for Fourth Wing and Iron Flame for Christmas and then I’m going to read ACOTAR and go from there.

I wasn’t going to do another A-Z challenge but actually, I’ve already started listing books to read. I want to see how different it looks from this year.
fourth wing and iron flame are amazing imo!!

also love ACOTAR but beware it’s a slippery slope into Sarah J Maas world! 🌎 throne of Glass is also amazing and my fave is the Crescent City novels which I think are brilliant. Can’t go wrong with any of them 👍🏼
---
Also, Priory of the Orange Tree by Samantha Shannon - I’m just waiting for the paperback of the second book - roll on January!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I’ve done some driving for work this weekend and got through all of Seth Rogen’s Yearbook on audio. I loved it! It was so funny and exactly what I expected from a book by Seth Rogan - lots of choice language, drug taking and geeky, awkward growing up tales. It was the perfect listen for a boring car journey on my own.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
fwiw I used to read loads of fantasy (okay I didn't read much of it until I was 20 and working in a bookshop, but that was 24 years ago) - I liked GRRM, Robin Hobb, all those epics. I read the first ACOTAR and it didn't really work for me at all! However I can see that it's a genre-defying book (ie non-geeks will read it) that loads will love. It's just not my bag and I'm disappointed as I wanted to try to get back into fantasy again! (currently mostly read crime or science fiction).

Last edited:
Reactions: 4
I’m just over halfway through The Midnight Library by Matt Haig and honestly I’m so bored.. what’s everyone’s thoughts on it?

Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.