Books #24 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
sending you lots and lots of love 💙💙 xx (it is a beautiful book for when you feel ready to read it)

i use “destroy” in both a positive and negative way 🤣 i might post my greatest selections here when we do our 2023 round-ups.

i really liked hidden valley road: again such a tragic book and i came away just so so sad and frustrated for those children, but fascinating to read.
Thank you ❤ I just downloaded it from the library, even though I bought two books yesterday and have a physical book out from the library too 😆

I listened recently too because it was mentioned on here. Fascinating isn’t it! Now looking for my next audible read, recommendations welcome.
I'm interested in any recommendations too. I just noticed that audiobooks are available on Spotify now where I live and I have a new dog who needs lots of exercise. I'm going to have to up my audiobook game.

I’m just over halfway through The Midnight Library by Matt Haig and honestly I’m so bored.. what’s everyone’s thoughts on it?
I read it a few years ago. I think it was pretty hyped up at the time. So it fell a little flat for me because of that, but I still liked it. I can see how it would be boring to some though.
Ohh, this is right up my street - I work with people on end of life pathways a lot of the time.

This is tangentially related but the Eulogy from a Physicist was recently brought to my attention, another beautifully devastating piece of writing about loss.
Thank you for this! That was beautiful. 'Not a bit of you is gone; you’re just less orderly' ❤❤

Reactions: 1
I’m just over halfway through The Midnight Library by Matt Haig and honestly I’m so bored.. what’s everyone’s thoughts on it?
Ohh you're in for Matt Haig hater comments 🤣 I liked it but it was a few years ago I read it, not sure if I'd feel the same now.

I'm planning to read ACOTAR next. Right after I finish the paper palace which is taking me embarrassingly long to read, it's been like two weeks now 🙄 I don't even hate it, it's just a bit dull and I end up scrolling on my phone until late rather than picking up the kindle

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 9
I liked it but I read it before the hype and I love anything vaguely sliding doors-esque
---
Just to expand on what I’d said recently about a Christmas readathon too, here are some notes I’ve made so far.

I’m going to create a new thread for it on 22nd that we could have running until the end of the year so people can dip in when it suits.

Let me know if there are any other suggestions other than what I have and I’ll include them!

Christmas book readathon
  • New books for Christmas
  • 2024 wish list
  • 2023 BOTY
  • Anything new you’re trying?
  • What are you planning to read
  • Any challenges for 2024? A-Z etc

• Snacks/Drink
  • What
  • Where
  • How long
  • Memorable line
  • General review so far
2024 wish list feels like it could be dangerously inspiring and my TBR is out of control... but I love it.

Today I’ve already decided I really really must read a chunk of the books I have an am ‘desperate to read next’ then checked my local Waterstones (via the app) for stock of One Dark Window 🫣

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
I stash my TBR in a cupboard in the living room, it’s absolutely stacked 🤣 I’m trying not to buy any more for a while though and work through my stash.
I adore special editions though, they are my weakness, I can’t stop buying them especially if they have sprayed edges 🤤🤤

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I stash my TBR in a cupboard in the living room, it’s absolutely stacked 🤣 I’m trying not to buy any more for a while though and work through my stash.
I adore special editions though, they are my weakness, I can’t stop buying them especially if they have sprayed edges 🤤🤤
Same here! Absolutely no willpower when it comes to a sprayed edge.

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I just finished my A-Z 😊 I'm pretty sure this is my first time completing it (and fortunately it was a sprayed edge book because I'm also guilty of this).

(Also one of my friends told me it would have been impressive if I'd done it in alphabetical order 😅)

Reactions: 11
I read a couple of Matt Haig books years ago and thought they were ok. Now I wonder how qualified he is to dish out mental health advice. Something about him gives me the creeps. 😖

Reactions: 15
Is it £1 per book? That seems quite a fee to essentially electronically reserve a book. Thats wild.

Completely free here.
It's 80p to reserve books here. Fines can work out quite hefty for overdue books. I think it's 20p per day per book so it can mount up. I try to make sure I renew them online before the due date or get them returned asap if I've finished reading them.
---
Started reading "A Slow Burning Fire" by Paula Hawkins. Up to page 150 and I'm enjoying this book very much, (so far 4/5) probably on a par with "The Girl On The Train". I love Lisa Jewell books and I think this book will appeal to her fans.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5
Interesting topic that could have been handled much better by a more talented writer.

Reactions: 9
It's 80p to reserve books here. Fines can work out quite hefty for overdue books. I think it's 20p per day per book so it can mount up. I try to make sure I renew them online before the due date or get them returned asap if I've finished reading them.
---
Started reading "A Slow Burning Fire" by Paula Hawkins. Up to page 150 and I'm enjoying this book very much, (so far 4/5) probably on a par with "The Girl On The Train". I love Lisa Jewell books and I think this book will appeal to her fans.
Wow yes I can imagine. I dont tend to go to my library for physical books because for various reasons I forget to return. I mostly use them for online and audio where they can just take it back.

I have A Slow Burning Fire in my bookcase. I picked it up at work where we have a swap library set up! :D so I will try read it next year.

Reactions: 3
Just finished my 80th book of the year (that was my target) - The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett.

I really enjoyed it. I liked the different subjects it covered and how it impacted the characters in different ways. Definitely one that got me thinking and will stick with me for a while.

• Heart
  • Wow
Reactions: 15
Ive noticed there are better options in audible plus recently. I wonder if this is to compete with Spotify.

Reactions: 4
Wow yes I can imagine. I dont tend to go to my library for physical books because for various reasons I forget to return. I mostly use them for online and audio where they can just take it back.

I have A Slow Burning Fire in my bookcase. I picked it up at work where we have a swap library set up! :D so I will try read it next year.
I decided to try some new (to me) authors when I went to the library at the weekend. I borrowed:
The Hike - Lucy Clarke
The Therapist - Helene Flood
To Tell You The truth - Gilly Macmillan

Just wondered if anyone had read any of these books and what they thought

Reactions: 2
Ok guys winter time was meant to be me in my fanatasy and epic reads era and now I have gone into full smut mode! 🤣

Give me all the red flag taboo reads recommendations please 🙏🏽

• Haha
Ok guys winter time was meant to be me in my fanatasy and epic reads era and now I have gone into full smut mode! 🤣

Give me all the red flag taboo reads recommendations please 🙏🏽
What tropes do you prefer? Do you want plot or just smut? What books have you liked?

I can maybe help.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Finally finished the paper palace and im not a huge fan tbh. One of Goodreads review summed it up well for me, saying some details were in it for no reason apart from fulfilling a misery quota. I've realised I don't like miserable books and it was that, especially in the first part. Writing was nice but a lot of the descriptions were dull and unnecessary.

Really glad to move on from it 🤣

I decided to try some new (to me) authors when I went to the library at the weekend. I borrowed:
The Hike - Lucy Clarke
The Therapist - Helene Flood
To Tell You The truth - Gilly Macmillan

Just wondered if anyone had read any of these books and what they thought
I’ve read The Hike and enjoyed it, gave it 4 stars. It was an easy read, very short chapters. It kept my interest. I don’t want to say much more incase i spoil it!

What tropes do you prefer? Do you want plot or just smut? What books have you liked?

I can maybe help.
Love a morally grey Male character, give me all the posessive jealous type guys. Really Digging the boyf’s daddy thing atm as well 🥴

i used to love the bared to you series by sylvia day, and recently finished birthday girl by penelope douglas and onto credence now.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.