Books #17 Reading Chats!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
It was me that mentioned Margaret. One of my earliest memories is reading Judy Blume books so was super excited to see there was a movie coming.

I was torn over Tell Me Lies. The Amazon reviews put me off but then I saw a book Instagram account that had rated it highly so it's back on the list but I've not purchased it.
---

I'd never been to cinema alone until recently. I really wanted to see Prima Facie but nobody could go with me so I put my big girl pants on and went - I'm a convert.

It's going to be my new summer thing after work so I can take advantage of air con!
Ah, thank you for mentioning it!

On solo cinema dates - it was Prima Facie that reignited my enjoyment of solo cinema dates. It's a good excuse for me to enjoy some child free time out of the house as well 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Ah, thank you for mentioning it!

On solo cinema dates - it was Prima Facie that reignited my enjoyment of solo cinema dates. It's a good excuse for me to enjoy some child free time out of the house as well 😊
I don't want to derail this thread but wasn't it amazing? I honestly didn't blink for 2 hours. I recently paid for the National Theatre online subscription so I could watch it at home again.

Reactions: 1
Ten of my wishlist went down to 99p today!

I'm currently reading Things We Never Got Over. Not only is it awful, with the most insufferable and unfanciable MMC, but it's about eleventy thousand pages long for a romance?
I read this a few weeks ago. Pretty much in one sitting as I was in the airport for hours with a delayed flight. I was surprised by how awful it was 😆 and so, so needlessly long.
---
I did not get on with Book Lovers but Ive read over 100 pages of Happy Place today and its much better.

I really didn't like Nora or Charlie or Noras sister tbh. Harriet and Wyn are much better so far 😊
That's good to know. I think I've read two Emily Henry books - Beach Read and People We Meet on Vacation. I didn't particularly enjoy either of them and felt like I was missing whatever the hype was around them.

I don't want to derail this thread but wasn't it amazing? I honestly didn't blink for 2 hours. I recently paid for the National Theatre online subscription so I could watch it at home again.
Technically you can buy the script so it could be classed as reading themed? 😉 I had to sit in my car for about 10 minutes digesting what I had just seen. It opened in New York last week and I must track down the reviews to find out how it's landed with an American audience.

I am now also obsessed with Self Esteem and went to see her tour on my own earlier this year too! The impact of seeing one little play has had so many ripples in my life ☺

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Hope everyone had a lovely bank holiday. I managed a chunk of Happy Place, a chunk of Daisy Darker and 2 hours of Little Wing on audio! Our kids are still off here today which means Im also off work. Planning a lazy day with hopefully lots of reading ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I've just finished After I Do by TJR which I really enjoyed, probably my favourite of her books. My first book of May is Remarkably Bright Creatures after seeing it talked about on here.
This is my fave from TJR too, RBC is also on my TBR from here, I just also have a lot more on my TBR and I don't know where to start 😂
---
I did not get on with Book Lovers but Ive read over 100 pages of Happy Place today and its much better.

I really didn't like Nora or Charlie or Noras sister tbh. Harriet and Wyn are much better so far 😊
This is good to know! I DNF'd Book Lovers too and Happy Place is a book club read for me. Thank you!

Oh my goodness you are all such good readers! I do well to finish 1 book a month 🤣

I’ve just finished reading ‘Bunny’ by Mona Awad. Has anyone else read it? Seriously WTF have I just read? I can’t tell if it was genius or terrible? I also have a few theories about it

So I figured out quite early on that Ava wasn’t real. But my theory is that Samantha is actual in a mental institution and her tutors are therapist and the bunnies are other patients or possibly nurses (since they keep giving her tablets).

I’m currently reading Stacey Hall’s ‘Mrs England’. I loved loved loved ‘The Familiars’ but found ‘The Foundling’ so so. So I’m not sure what to expect from this one.
I really enjoyed Mrs England. I like books about governesses in gothic places though so knew I would like the atmosphere. Hope you enjoy it .

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Our plans were derailed this weekend as my husband came home from a work trip with Covid (after avoiding it for three years, literally the first time either of us has had it!). But it meant that we had an excuse to stay at home and plenty of reading was done, as well as finishing the Unlawful Killings audiobook whilst I repainted the bathroom 💪

I devoured Stanley Tucci - Taste which was excellent as I expected it to be. Not one to read while you're hungry but a really well put together memoir. I also finished The Last Party by Clare Mackintosh which was quite good, I liked the characters and think its the first of a series? Then yesterday ploughed through most of The People Next Door by Tony Parsons. A relatively easy read thriller, but not my fave. Overall a long weekend well spent.

• Heart
Just started The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold, enjoying it very much. I would have continued to read it last night but my cat hates having the light on (i know, she’s spoilt 😂) so I grabbed the kindle and started reading Daisy Darker. Stayed up far too late reading it but it’s fantastic so far!

• Haha
@Pinkii I’ve just finished All My Mothers. How are you getting on with it?

I was so tempted to DNF at 53% but I’ve made myself listen to it this morning and much preferred this second half. I gave it 3 stars but it was actually quite a lovely ending (spoiler alert —>) despite Bridget dying. I thought that was written beautifully though.

I have four ebooks queued on BorrowBox so I think I’ll choose The Apartment by KL Slater next as I need a easy thriller to listen to now.

I’m also 75% through Daisy Darker and really liking it. Hoping to finish that today. May has gotten off to a good start.

Reactions: 2
@Pinkii I’ve just finished All My Mothers. How are you getting on with it?

I was so tempted to DNF at 53% but I’ve made myself listen to it this morning and much preferred this second half. I gave it 3 stars but it was actually quite a lovely ending (spoiler alert —>) despite Bridget dying. I thought that was written beautifully though.

I have four ebooks queued on BorrowBox so I think I’ll choose The Apartment by KL Slater next as I need a easy thriller to listen to now.

I’m also 75% through Daisy Darker and really liking it. Hoping to finish that today. May has gotten off to a good start.
I only about 40% through, i am listening to it on audio and only get to listen on my commute atm.

I think i will stick it out as i have nothing else to listen to 🤣

I know I’m meant to feel sorry for the main character but i just don’t lol

• Haha
I finished Beartown yesterday - I just couldn’t put it down it was amazing. Now onto Winter by Marissa Meyer for my physical book.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I started Just Got Real by Jane Fallon. Saw someone mention it here and noticed I had it in my kindle library. It is proving to be a good choice, engaging and easy a read.

Much needed. Especially after reading Unsettled Ground over the weekend. A really beautifully written book but just a little darker than my current mood should meet!

Reactions: 7
I started Just Got Real by Jane Fallon. Saw someone mention it here and noticed I had it in my kindle library. It is proving to be a good choice, engaging and easy a read.

Much needed. Especially after reading Unsettled Ground over the weekend. A really beautifully written book but just a little darker than my current mood should meet!
I think I might make this my 'J' for A-Z. I made a full list and Ive changed it so many times 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I’m so out of love with reading at the minute and it’s driving me mad. But then I think I’ve fallen in a funk with everything - I don’t fancy watching anything or listening to anything. I’m just favouring quiet and endless scrolling. I’ve started so many books, films and tv shows in the last month and never seem to get past the first 10% or 20 mins.

Hopefully I can get back into the swing of things soon.

• Heart
  • Sad
Reactions: 20
I’m so out of love with reading at the minute and it’s driving me mad. But then I think I’ve fallen in a funk with everything - I don’t fancy watching anything or listening to anything. I’m just favouring quiet and endless scrolling. I’ve started so many books, films and tv shows in the last month and never seem to get past the first 10% or 20 mins.

I have felt like this recently. Despite having a good reading month its like my heart wasnt in it really.

• Heart
Reactions: 5

Oh you poor darling. You don’t have to answer but do you struggle with mental health? I lose all interest in all things when I’m in a low mood. And it’s been most of the last decade for me. For some reason I can still read (even if I don’t retain!) but have no interest in tv or film and I once loved both. Scrolling is the death of me. I keep deleting IG as I find it Sucks up my time and ignites my anxiety. But I always reinstall. This thread is a god send ♥
---
I think I might make this my 'J' for A-Z. I made a full list and Ive changed it so many times 😂
Oh I made a list in dec and then never looked at it again! I just went through the alphabet in order and as I progressed to each letter I picked whichever eligible book from my library that I felt like reading. I still haven’t managed X or Z but I’m otherwise done. I have seen people say it can be X or Z anywhere in the title but that feels like cheating!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
Oh you poor darling. You don’t have to answer but do you struggle with mental health? I lose all interest in all things when I’m in a low mood. And it’s been most of the last decade for me. For some reason I can still read (even if I don’t retain!) but have no interest in tv or film and I once loved both. Scrolling is the death of me. I keep deleting IG as I find it Sucks up my time and ignites my anxiety. But I always reinstall. This thread is a god send ♥
Oh yea I definitely struggle with my mental health - been a lifelong battle. I don’t think I’ve dipped far enough for me to think anything major is going on but just in a proper funk. Probably a good place to try and change things up a bit, like get outside and eat a bit better to see if that all perks me up and gets me back on track. I also think I need to delete TikTok - it’s the only social media I’m on and I’ve fallen too far into its grip this last few weeks.

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.