Books #15 Reading Chats!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve just started The Measure by Nikki Erlick on my kindle - this is so good so far!

I do tend to binge a series but I have to wait for the books from the library so normally end up with a few in between
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1
Urgh I'm in a massive slump again! Although it probably doesn't help I'm now addicted to Hogwarts Legacy :ROFLMAO: maybe I need a night off and read tonight instead 🙈 my local Aldi had a book stand and books were £2.99 each so i brought some that I probably don't even intend to read :ROFLMAO:
Yes I bought The Love Hypothesis in Aldi for 2.99!
 
  • Like
Reactions: 1
First time posting on this thread, bringing a pro tip: if you’ve been trying to get through War and Peace but it feels like a slog, instead of devoting all your attention to it, why not start a couple of even more difficult books on the side? My suggestions are Tristram Shandy and Ulysses. Before you know it, Tolstoy will be your “easy read” 😂 (I’m taking an Open University lit course with the latter two on the reading list and while I dread the final essay, at least I’m finally breezing through W&P in my scant spare time! Silver lining.)
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Reactions: 17
First time posting on this thread, bringing a pro tip: if you’ve been trying to get through War and Peace but it feels like a slog, instead of devoting all your attention to it, why not start a couple of even more difficult books on the side? My suggestions are Tristram Shandy and Ulysses. Before you know it, Tolstoy will be your “easy read” 😂 (I’m taking an Open University lit course with the latter two on the reading list and while I dread the final essay, at least I’m finally breezing through W&P in my scant spare time! Silver lining.)
i LOVE war and peace but i always tell people to just read “peace” 🤣 or at least skip the chapters about how many yards to the left one battalion moved across the battlefield. the story at the centre of it is wonderful, but i do love tolstoy in general.

i did english lit and creative writing at uni and ulysses destroyed me. i dumped my copy of it in the university library on my final day because i knew there was no way it was ever coming home with me.
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
I feel embarrassed about getting excited for the housemaid sequel today now after the last two posts 🤣
 
  • Haha
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 15
i LOVE war and peace but i always tell people to just read “peace” 🤣 or at least skip the chapters about how many yards to the left one battalion moved across the battlefield. the story at the centre of it is wonderful, but i do love tolstoy in general.

i did english lit and creative writing at uni and ulysses destroyed me. i dumped my copy of it in the university library on my final day because i knew there was no way it was ever coming home with me.
I decided at a pretty early stage that I was going to just enjoy Ulysses (as far as that’s possible) and not even try to understand it, so it’s actually going reasonably well (Tristram not so much, you can come over and pick him up any time you please, we’re done)… but I look forward to my nightly Tolstoy like no one’s business 😂 The war scenes I tend to look at as a necessary contrast to offset the internal human drama. Like the Battle of Austerlitz - a lot of it is kind of boring war mechanics, but at that point I think you have to kind of zoom out a little and focus on the general sweeping landscape of it, because when the pov shifts to young Bolkonsky looking at the sky, it’s just that much more shattering 🥺
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 2
Oh for goodness sake 🤦🏼‍♀️
It’s utterly ridiculous. My biggest gripe is removing the word ‘weird’ from The Twits descriptions - the whole point of the story is that they are weird on the outside because they’re so weird on the inside!
 
  • Like
Reactions: 14
I feel embarrassed about getting excited for the housemaid sequel today now after the last two posts 🤣
Please don't ❤ this thread is for all readers. Whether you read 2 books a year or 200. Whether you read solely classics or only wattpad fan fiction.

Everyone is welcome here 😍
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 27
Please don't ❤ this thread is for all readers. Whether you read 2 books a year or 200. Whether you read solely classics or only wattpad fan fiction.

Everyone is welcome here 😍
This! I read all sorts of books, I’m just stuck in this “incomprehensible classics” era for right now, but trust me, I’ll be picking up The Housemaid as soon as I have these dusty old men out of my hair. I just wanted to share my despair lol 😂
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
I decided at a pretty early stage that I was going to just enjoy Ulysses (as far as that’s possible) and not even try to understand it, so it’s actually going reasonably well (Tristram not so much, you can come over and pick him up any time you please, we’re done)… but I look forward to my nightly Tolstoy like no one’s business 😂 The war scenes I tend to look at as a necessary contrast to offset the internal human drama. Like the Battle of Austerlitz - a lot of it is kind of boring war mechanics, but at that point I think you have to kind of zoom out a little and focus on the general sweeping landscape of it, because when the pov shifts to young Bolkonsky looking at the sky, it’s just that much more shattering 🥺
it’s a gorgeous book. like you say, i like how the vastness of war is contrasted by all these cramped sitting rooms and ballrooms with people gossiping and keeping up with fashion (when such awful things are happening close to them). it’s an absolute masterpiece and i always tell people not to be put off by it’s length. i do love classics in general though!
---
!!!!!! - i have this ready to go on my pile, i am VERY excited 💙

also your jumper looks cosy AF!
 
  • Like
Reactions: 6
Please don't ❤ this thread is for all readers. Whether you read 2 books a year or 200. Whether you read solely classics or only wattpad fan fiction.

Everyone is welcome here 😍
Thank you ❤ it was only tongue in cheek, I’m in awe of those who can read the heavier classics. I read to escape my thoughts and I find my mind wanders often if the book doesn’t quickly pull me in and perhaps have a degree of relatability. I’ve read Jane eyre/p&p, I have Mansfield park, Emma and Vanity Fair in the tbr pile. It was really a compliment to those with the dedication to do so, but they’re on my bucket list along with learning how to complete cryptic crosswords 😆
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 10
I would really love to get into the classics! Maybe one day I’ll pick one up and step out of my comfort zone 🥰
---
!!!!!! - i have this ready to go on my pile, i am VERY excited 💙

also your jumper looks cosy AF!
I’ll let you know how I get on 😄 Hahaha thanks I stole it from hubs 😂😂😂
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
I had a great January but such a slump this month! Might reread something I like to get me out of it. Thinking maybe The Simple Wild series by K.A Tucker. I loved it so much. ❤

 
  • Like
Reactions: 4
For all my sports romance fans out there there is an F1 Romance coming out 28th Feb called Hammer Time, you’re welcome or not if you’re on a ban 😂
 
  • Like
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 6
For all my sports romance fans out there there is an F1 Romance coming out 28th Feb called Hammer Time, you’re welcome or not if you’re on a ban 😂
sssttttooopppp 🤣😉

the existence of f1 and ice hockey romances is actually going to bankrupt me.
 
  • Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
Yes, hello, just bought The Housemaid also.

Reading Happy Like Murderers which has been on my TBR for a while and I've borrowed from the library.

Aso reading So Sad Today. A collection of personal essays by Melissa Broder. She is SO WEIRD and I love it.

Can we take a second to reflect on how Melissa Broder has a new book coming out later this year and Coco Mellors (Cleopatra and Frankenstein author) has one coming out early next year? Does anyone else care? I'm excited!
 
  • Like
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.