Books #15 Reading Chats!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Just finished Don’t You Forget About Me by Mhairi McFarlane and loved it. I’d never read anything from her before but I’ll definitely be picking up more. Is anyone a fan and can recommend her best books? I’m having such a good reading month this month, not read anything I haven’t liked 🤩 (except the weird Gabby Petito story)
This book is on my TBR. I bought a bunch of her books last year. I've read If I Never Met You and Here's looking at You and enjoyed them both!

I have You Had Me at Hello, Last Night and Mad About You on my TBR as well.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2
I fell in such a slump after my last book and it’s taken me 2 weeks to finish Homegoing. I feel bad because I probably really wasn’t in the mood for it after The Secrets of Strangers and should have read something more lighthearted. I defo would have enjoyed Homegoing more if I’d been in the right headspace!
 
  • Like
Reactions: 3
Urgh I'm in a massive slump again! Although it probably doesn't help I'm now addicted to Hogwarts Legacy :ROFLMAO: maybe I need a night off and read tonight instead 🙈
Oh gosh I'm the same but with the Sims! My February reading stats are pretty dismal 🤣 Probably because I picked two non-fiction this month 🤭
 
  • Like
  • Haha
Reactions: 3
I've read all of hers and there aren't any I didn't enjoy! She's brilliant. She has a new one coming out in a few months which I'm really looking forward to. :giggle:
I love all of Mhairi’s books, I don’t read many in that genre but I adore hers, she’s so witty and brilliant at capturing friendship group dynamics as well as the romance.
I was lucky enough to read a proof of her new one last month and I think it’s actually her best yet! 🤩
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Has anyone read any of these? What did you think??

Someone posted this free to go on Facebook and I'm getting them tomorrow.
Screenshot_20230220_140721.jpg
 
  • Like
Reactions: 3
The thursday murder club is a fun read. The characters are such a joy to read. Love Joyce!
Yes it's not going to be remembered as high literature but it's fun and enjoyable, I read each book in like 2 days. If you like Osman's humour you'll enjoy it
 
  • Like
Reactions: 2
Happy new ‘housemaid’ book day! Monday night with tired child and my kindle. Happy days 😊
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
Has anyone read any of these? What did you think??

Someone posted this free to go on Facebook and I'm getting them tomorrow.
View attachment 1974121
I’ve read the two Matt Haig’s - although now I think about it, I’m not sure I actually finished The Dead Father’s Club. I always enjoy Matt Haig’s stuff but I don’t think Mr Cave was one of my favourites - I certainly can’t remember anything about it.
 
😃 glad you came across! This thread is the total opposite to hinch, but so relaxing and gives lots of motivation to get off tattle and forget the world in a book!

@ordinaryjelly and @tam THANK YOU so much for the suggestions re book shops in Bath. I’m only just winding down from the day. I went to mr e’s emporium first and just got lost in the magic of the twists and turns.. loved their quirky selections that I hadn’t heard of or seen in my local Waterstones. Dockid was very happy in the beautiful kids section too. Didn’t really consider toppings too much after that as I didn’t think it could be beaten but wow. Had a little wander down later in the day and have found my favourite bookshop in the entire world. A sofa for dockid and his dad to sit away from me so I could browse alone 🥰 and they had a whole room tucked away with detective fiction. Plus the ladders. And their covered signed first edition hardbacks were everywhere too! Only downside was that there were a lot of tourists who made browsing irritating at times so I’m planning a trip back on my own, on a week day with an empty suitcase and a week off afterwards ☺

this thread is just wonderful.

View attachment 1970901
---


I felt exactly the same as you about the first one. A few family members were raving about it but I felt that I kept having to look back as i couldn’t remember which character was which, there seemed to be just too many. On a positive note, the second is much better and the characters take on much more personality and develop so that they’re identifiable and actually I became quite fond of them. I flew through the second. I have the third but it’s in the tbr pile.
Saw interesting interview with him saying he was writing the fourth and then plans to pause the series. He’s moving over to write a father-daughter private detective agency series (sounded a little like R Galbraith). They are currently casting for the first TMC film and is a good conversation point for those that have enjoyed/read them. (I could see Joanna Lumley as Elizabeth, and Julie walters as Joyce.)
Apologies for super long post.
Ah I absolutely love the Strike books and the TV adaptation so I may find it hard to like someone else's interpretation of that genre. JKR / RG writes it so well
 
  • Like
Reactions: 5
Ah I absolutely love the Strike books and the TV adaptation so I may find it hard to like someone else's interpretation of that genre. JKR / RG writes it so well
same. as soon as they announce the release dates I mark it in my calendar, I’m that obsessed with strike 🙈 Do you read Anthony Horowitz? I do find they share some sense of story telling and magic with jkr.
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 4
same. as soon as they announce the release dates I mark it in my calendar, I’m that obsessed with strike 🙈 Do you read Anthony Horowitz? I do find they share some sense of story telling and magic with jkr.
I haven't, so I'll look AH up thanks. She is an amazing story teller and she creates a lot of depth to her characters in Strike and it draws me in every time.
 
  • Like
Reactions: 4
I’ve just been looking at my Goodreads and I’m currently on my 18th book of the year. This time last year I’d only read 6 and the year before was 7. And luckily in the 18 so far this year, I’ve only had 2 that I didn’t really enjoy (All The Missing Girls and Brave New World). Hopefully the rest of 2023 continues like this!
 
  • Like
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.