Oh for goodness sake
Anyone who read Roald Dahl as a child - this might interest you
Yes I bought The Love Hypothesis in Aldi for 2.99!Urgh I'm in a massive slump again! Although it probably doesn't help I'm now addicted to Hogwarts Legacymaybe I need a night off and read tonight instead
my local Aldi had a book stand and books were £2.99 each so i brought some that I probably don't even intend to read
![]()
i LOVE war and peace but i always tell people to just read “peace”First time posting on this thread, bringing a pro tip: if you’ve been trying to get through War and Peace but it feels like a slog, instead of devoting all your attention to it, why not start a couple of even more difficult books on the side? My suggestions are Tristram Shandy and Ulysses. Before you know it, Tolstoy will be your “easy read”(I’m taking an Open University lit course with the latter two on the reading list and while I dread the final essay, at least I’m finally breezing through W&P in my scant spare time! Silver lining.)
I decided at a pretty early stage that I was going to just enjoy Ulysses (as far as that’s possible) and not even try to understand it, so it’s actually going reasonably well (Tristram not so much, you can come over and pick him up any time you please, we’re done)… but I look forward to my nightly Tolstoy like no one’s businessi LOVE war and peace but i always tell people to just read “peace”or at least skip the chapters about how many yards to the left one battalion moved across the battlefield. the story at the centre of it is wonderful, but i do love tolstoy in general.
i did english lit and creative writing at uni and ulysses destroyed me. i dumped my copy of it in the university library on my final day because i knew there was no way it was ever coming home with me.
It’s utterly ridiculous. My biggest gripe is removing the word ‘weird’ from The Twits descriptions - the whole point of the story is that they are weird on the outside because they’re so weird on the inside!Oh for goodness sake![]()
Please don'tI feel embarrassed about getting excited for the housemaid sequel today now after the last two posts![]()
This! I read all sorts of books, I’m just stuck in this “incomprehensible classics” era for right now, but trust me, I’ll be picking up The Housemaid as soon as I have these dusty old men out of my hair. I just wanted to share my despair lolPlease don'tthis thread is for all readers. Whether you read 2 books a year or 200. Whether you read solely classics or only wattpad fan fiction.
Everyone is welcome here![]()
it’s a gorgeous book. like you say, i like how the vastness of war is contrasted by all these cramped sitting rooms and ballrooms with people gossiping and keeping up with fashion (when such awful things are happening close to them). it’s an absolute masterpiece and i always tell people not to be put off by it’s length. i do love classics in general though!I decided at a pretty early stage that I was going to just enjoy Ulysses (as far as that’s possible) and not even try to understand it, so it’s actually going reasonably well (Tristram not so much, you can come over and pick him up any time you please, we’re done)… but I look forward to my nightly Tolstoy like no one’s businessThe war scenes I tend to look at as a necessary contrast to offset the internal human drama. Like the Battle of Austerlitz - a lot of it is kind of boring war mechanics, but at that point I think you have to kind of zoom out a little and focus on the general sweeping landscape of it, because when the pov shifts to young Bolkonsky looking at the sky, it’s just that much more shattering
![]()
!!!!!! - i have this ready to go on my pile, i am VERY excitedWe’re going in guysView attachment 1974817
Thank youPlease don'tthis thread is for all readers. Whether you read 2 books a year or 200. Whether you read solely classics or only wattpad fan fiction.
Everyone is welcome here![]()
I’ll let you know how I get on!!!!!! - i have this ready to go on my pile, i am VERY excited
also your jumper looks cosy AF!
sssttttoooppppFor all my sports romance fans out there there is an F1 Romance coming out 28th Feb called Hammer Time, you’re welcome or not if you’re on a ban![]()