Books #14 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
oh question for everyone after reading this.

What is your reading speed?
I started on 1.5 but find anything lower than 2.5 really slow now 😂
But my mum heard an audiobook playing at that speed and thought her head was spinning 😂
I've been told that the speed I listen to books at is stress-inducing 🤣

I only just started to listen to books a few weeks ago, but have been listening to them at 1.5 -1.8 depending on the narrator. I'm currently listening to Languages of Loss by Sasha Bates and it's at 1.8.

I don't know why I hadn't thought of listening to a book before that as I listen to lots of podcasts 🤷‍♀️ I just signed up for Audible today and am not sure it's worth the money yet as I still prefer to read books with my eyes 🤣

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
I have just finished local woman missing as per all your recs here and rated it 4 stars.
It was my first ‘thriller’ in a while and I did enjoy it but I do find thrillers kind of have the same recipe for the plots. However, I did not expect the twist at the end.

I am just starting The Secret History by Donna Tartt has been on my TBR for years. Any reviews on this?

• Heart
Reactions: 8
I've listened to most of mine at about 1.5 except for I'm glad my mom died - left that at normal pace as I found her naturally fast talking.

oh question for everyone after reading this.

What is your reading speed?
I started on 1.5 but find anything lower than 2.5 really slow now 😂
But my mum heard an audiobook playing at that speed and thought her head was spinning 😂
I just listen on 1, I didn’t know people listened quicker, this feels like the time I discovered people watch TV with subtitles and then I felt like the odd one for not doing so

• Haha
Reactions: 3
Just finished “out of love”. Thank you for the recommendation! I really enjoyed this book and seeing how the relationship unravelled. Very interesting and I loved the format of the book with it starting with the end of the relationship and winding back.

• Heart
I am just starting The Secret History by Donna Tartt has been on my TBR for years. Any reviews on this?
LOVE Donna Tartt. Really enjoyed The Secret History. I gave it 5* if I recall correctly. Very different, engrossing and keeps you on your toes!

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I enjoyed The Secret History but personally I thought The Goldfinch was a much better book so that’s definitely worth a read if you haven’t already.

For me The Secret History suffered from really high expectations that it didn’t really live up to. I’d seen it on so many must read lists over the years I expected to be blown away and wasn’t.

I enjoyed The Secret History but personally I thought The Goldfinch was a much better book so that’s definitely worth a read if you haven’t already.

For me The Secret History suffered from really high expectations that it didn’t really live up to. I’d seen it on so many must read lists over the years I expected to be blown away and wasn’t.
I have both at home but only read the secret history so will definitely start the goldfinch soon! I heard so many good things about it.
I'm halfway through Betty (tattle bookclub pick) and whilst it's interesting, it's also so bleak it makes me a bit hestitant to read after a full day of work

Reactions: 5
I think it’s the best Tartt to be honest. It’s quite gripping, a couple of characters are annoying but I enjoyed the book nonetheless.

Reactions: 2
Neither of my parents were readers and I don’t remember my grandparents reading much either. They were more into reference and non-fiction books. my granny still has their bookcase which I have fond memories of rummaging through. The only fiction book they had that I wanted to read was Black Beauty and I remember I read it on many holidays there when I’d ran out of books. It was a lovely hardback edition with those plate type illustrations 😍

I’m not sure what book to read next. I picked up a non fiction about the White House Farm murders so might start that. I can’t remember if it was recommended on here or the true crime thread.
OT but there's a pretty good docu-drama about the White House murders on Netflix. Of course I cannot remember the name of it but I think it has Freddie Fox in it. Would recommend.

Reactions: 1
I just listen on 1, I didn’t know people listened quicker, this feels like the time I discovered people watch TV with subtitles and then I felt like the odd one for not doing so
I always watch Netflix with subtitles and audio description subtitles if I’m doing something else and can’t actually “watch” the screen. 😂
The Audio description is so odd in the beginning but actually works really well when you get used to it 😂
---

just signed up for Audible today and am not sure it's worth the money yet as I still prefer to read books with my eyes 🤣
Libby and borrow box are your best bet if you want to give audio books a go,
Once you have a library card you’re good to go with both audio and ebooks!

Reactions: 2
I read The Secret History in 6th form years ago when we were given a list of “proper” books and had to pick one and read it. I think I was one of the only people in the class who managed to finish their book and it made me feel really clever 😂 I enjoyed it at the time but this was about 15 years ago so would love to reread again at one point. I’ve had the goldfinch on my shelf for years but never read it!

My sister will apparently never forgive me for Betty 😹

I’m concurrently reading Boy Parts and the Housemaid. The latter very different genre for me but fancied a change and it’s been loved here.

Also, where is our fairhaired friend @LaBlonde

• Heart
Finished Farewell to Arms and feel indifferent. Didn't cry. 2 stars. Not a book for me, didn't gel well with writing style at all. 😕

Currently reading the Housemaid and perhaps I can't read this in public. Whenever I put it down I feel very eerie and like people around me are acting strange. 😂 OK so far. I quite like the main characters commentary it's funny at times.

• Haha
Just caught up on the thread. I have to listen to audiobooks at 1 😂 I don't know how some of you manage to listen to anything faster!

I'm the only reader in my family. I had to have extra maths and English classes when I was younger so I got to experience lots of books from those classes & grew to love reading. My mam could never understand how I could read books so quickly. The only downside to being the only reader in the family is that my family in particular never give books as a gift. I'm not sure gift-giving someone a book has ever occurred to them. I would've loved books as gifts as a child!

I keep forgetting I don’t like Tessa Bailey books, buying one or pre-ordering, and then forcing myself to read them. It’s the second time this year and I did it last year too 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Still plodding on with Pride and Prejudice. I don't feel desperate to pick up and resume and it is taking me a while to get through it. I did a module on 18th Century Literature as part of my degree and, while it was interesting, I didn’t enjoy being told what to read and having specific deadlines to read it by. Maybe I'm just uncultured.

Also reading A Man Called Ove, which I know a lot of you have enjoyed!

Reactions: 7
Still plodding on with Pride and Prejudice. I don't feel desperate to pick up and resume and it is taking me a while to get through it. I did a module on 18th Century Literature as part of my degree and, while it was interesting, I didn’t enjoy being told what to read and having specific deadlines to read it by. Maybe I'm just uncultured.

Also reading A Man Called Ove, which I know a lot of you have enjoyed!
Oh gosh P&P gave such a flashback to school! I did love the Keira knightley adaptation though. With dude from Succession if I recall rightly?!

also, a man called ove pulled my heartstrings in very unexpected manner. It’s impossible not to be touched by it I think. And this is from ms cynic.

Reactions: 6
Since finding this thread a long long time ago I have loved my kindle. But yesterday I was gifted 3 hardbacks and looking forward to sitting down to read them. I have really good actually, someone else's shoes and tomorrow, tomorrow, tomorrow.

I have also finished a new audio book - Stephen King's the graveyard shift.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.