Books #14 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I'm currently in a reading slump 😅 I knew this would happen as soon as I picked up a non-fiction book, it's interesting (How Iceland Changed the World) but I'm not inclined to pick it up much. Making it my mission to go to the library/a cosy cafe tomorrow to finish it 🤞

Reactions: 4
Loving the nostalgia on this thread! I think I started reading as soon as I could and I’ve been hooked ever since.

I loved Enid Blyton books, Jacqueline Wilson, Goosebumps, Harry Potter, Sweet Valley High, Babysitters Club.

I remember these and have distinct memories of the case with all the yellow tapes in. Did anyone have these?

View attachment 1943045
View attachment 1943048
I had these, loved them ❤ I still have a couple of my books from when I was a child including a Janet and John one from school 🙈 my all time favourite from being a child is A little princess 😍 I've loved reading from the moment I could but not done much of it over the past couple of years and made this year the year to fall in love again 😊

• Heart
I'm currently in a reading slump 😅 I knew this would happen as soon as I picked up a non-fiction book, it's interesting (How Iceland Changed the World) but I'm not inclined to pick it up much. Making it my mission to go to the library/a cosy cafe tomorrow to finish it 🤞
Is that Kerry Katona's memoir?

• Haha
Reactions: 15
I managed to just finish my 3 Libby books within the week. Loved The Secrets of Strangers, didn’t so much enjoy Mother though. Lastly was Londons Number One Dog Walking Agency which was a pleasant read but longer than it needed to be I think.

I think I’m going to buy Betty now for the book club. I just don’t want to be disappointed! I’ve had a few 2 and 3 star reads recently and I don’t want to get into a slump.

I managed to just finish my 3 Libby books within the week. Loved The Secrets of Strangers, didn’t so much enjoy Mother though. Lastly was Londons Number One Dog Walking Agency which was a pleasant read but longer than it needed to be I think.

I think I’m going to buy Betty now for the book club. I just don’t want to be disappointed! I’ve had a few 2 and 3 star reads recently and I don’t want to get into a slump.
Betty might provoke an emotional slump but not likely a reading one!

• Heart
Betty might provoke an emotional slump but not likely a reading one!
My son has also brought me home from school, Shadow by Michael Morpugo because he knows I wanted to read it having a new springer pup 😂♥ so I’m definitely going to need a nice light hearted book after reading the two of these alongside one another!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Finished the Housemaid last night - really enjoyed. I'm glad I have the sequel pre-ordered!

Reactions: 6
I am loving reading at the moment and currently reading the ''After'' Series after watching the films. Probably not to everyone's cup of tea. Nearly finished them so I've made sure I'm ready to go with some more books.

I have ordered 11 books, one from amazon & the other's from two different sellers on depop - good way to save money too :)

The books are as follows

Ugly Love - Colleen Hoover
Twisted Lies - Ana Huang
Twisted Games - Ana Huang
Twisted Love - Ana Huang
Twisted Hate - Ana Huang
Milkman - Anna Burns
Billy & Me - Giovanna Fletcher
The Wives - Lauren Weisberger
Love, Hope - Janet Ann Conlin
The Understudy - Sophie Hannah
The Paper Palace - Miranda Cowley Heller

Anyone read any of these and any you would really rate?

Reactions: 8
Have read all the Twisted Books. I am a fan of that genre.

Twisted Games was my favourite, Rhys and Bridget are 🥰 Twisted Hate was good too. The other two I felt werent great. Twisted Lies in particular was just far too long and I just didnt like the characters at all.

Milkman by Anna Burns was one of my very very fee DNF. Could not get on board. Would recommend something like Trespasses or Before My Heart Actually Breaks instead.

I enjoyed The Paper Palace. We read it for our July Book Club and it went down well actually. I dont think anyone disliked it really. I cant remember any strong feelings of hatred any way. Lots of descriptive passages on setting the scene. If you dont like that sort of thing, you may find it a bit of a drawn out read.

• Heart
Currently reading the third in Becky Chambers ‘Wayfarers’ series. Really recommend the series for any fans of speculative fiction/sci-fi. I think they’re also billed as ‘space opera’ which would have put me off as I’m not a die hard sci-fi fan but these are really fun, warm and engaging.

• Heart
Reactions: 1
Ive started Betty. Only about 20% in and not getting pulled in just yet but I will persevere.
I loved Betty but found myself skim reading the long descriptions her Father used to use in his stories to her. It’s a bleak but beautiful book- I preferred it to Shuggie💔
---

Prob been asked before but what are peoples thoughts on Babel? I need to finish it as it’s been booked by someone else at the library so I’ve got to knuckle down. I’m about 120 pages in so far

Reactions: 1
I have read a few books this week

Blade in the Shadow by Jillian Halket, utterly sublime. It is a true account of her experience of OCD, I couldn't put it down despite it being very triggering.

Talking with Serial Killers, really disappointed with this book. It wasn't so much talking with serial killers as it was talking with men who hated women.

Dog Rose Dirt, bleak, dark, disturbing and not in a good way. We all know I like a bleak book but this was bleak in the wrong way. A real slog to finish.

Lean Fall Stand, I just didn't get it. Bored me.

Bad Fruit, this was a short book but not necessarily an easy read. I enjoyed it, a strong female character and a bit of domestic drama. But nothing special.

Every Missing Thing, dnf. But entirely sure how this got published. It was awful.

So, apart from Blade in the Shadow I have read nothing that was truly worth my time. I need to find something easy and enjoyable to read now. My brain can't take anymore duff books. What a rubbish week.

I loved Betty but found myself skim reading the long descriptions her Father used to use in his stories to her. It’s a bleak but beautiful book- I preferred it to Shuggie💔
---

Prob been asked before but what are peoples thoughts on Babel? I need to finish it as it’s been booked by someone else at the library so I’ve got to knuckle down. I’m about 120 pages in so far
Shuggie drew me in. I was transfixed from almost the beginning. Betty hasnt done that yet to me but not to stay it wont.

I think I related to Shuggie though. Im probably single digit miles away from where it was set. Can see families I grew up with, characters I can relate to in it. The full setting is just wholly relatable to me, depressingly.

• Heart
I have read a few books this week

Blade in the Shadow by Jillian Halket, utterly sublime. It is a true account of her experience of OCD, I couldn't put it down despite it being very triggering.

Talking with Serial Killers, really disappointed with this book. It wasn't so much talking with serial killers as it was talking with men who hated women.

Dog Rose Dirt, bleak, dark, disturbing and not in a good way. We all know I like a bleak book but this was bleak in the wrong way. A real slog to finish.

Lean Fall Stand, I just didn't get it. Bored me.

Bad Fruit, this was a short book but not necessarily an easy read. I enjoyed it, a strong female character and a bit of domestic drama. But nothing special.

Every Missing Thing, dnf. But entirely sure how this got published. It was awful.

So, apart from Blade in the Shadow I have read nothing that was truly worth my time. I need to find something easy and enjoyable to read now. My brain can't take anymore duff books. What a rubbish week.
Gosh you’ve read a few indeed!!!! How about some Elizabeth Strout? High quality but not too demanding.

Reactions: 3
I've whipped through the Off-Campus series by Elle Kennedy this week. Only have the final book and one of the Novellas in 'The Legacy' to go (I've been reading each novella after finishing that couple's story). Also read Ice Breaker by Hannah Grace last week. I'm in my Hockey player romance phase :LOL: :love:

I think maybe tattlers have recommended similar books before but I can't remember when? So I hope no-one minds me asking again for recs!

few pages ago i said i was struggling to get through a few books, instead of reading ‘three women’ i’m listening to it on audible. I’m quite enjoying it now!

Reading- klara and the sun, but it hasn’t gripped me yet 😩 its an easy read so will probably finish it.

My next read is going to be to finusb Babel- everyone keeps saying how great it is and I really want to get through it 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Ive started Betty. Only about 20% in and not getting pulled in just yet but I will persevere.
I'm about 70% of the way through and I know it'll be an unpopular opinion but I'm just not really feeling it. I will finish it because I really hate leaving books unfinished. I'm probably going to leave it a few days though and then try finish it because I am just not loving it atm.

I have however started and am about halfway through Bill Browder's second book - Freezing Order. I read Red Notice last year and honestly it was so fascinating, and am really enjoying the follow up. Amazon describes Red Notice as - With fraud, bribery, corruption and torture exposed at every turn, Red Notice is a shocking political roller-coaster. and I definitely agree with that description. It's about how corrupt Russia is basically, but is told really well.

My sister will apparently never forgive me for Betty 😹

I’m concurrently reading Boy Parts and the Housemaid. The latter very different genre for me but fancied a change and it’s been loved here.

Also, where is our fairhaired friend @LaBlonde
aw here i am! 🥰 i’ve been in vegas for a week and have just returned (with some epic jet lag!)

betty was a strange one for me. i loved the writing and i think the author is a real talent - but the almost relentless piling of trauma on trauma got too much. i got very attached to the lead though and i want some kind of sequel so we could see her navigate into older life.

to the person upthread who mentioned ice hockey books. YES JOIN ME/US. hockey and reading are my two favourite things and having them combined?! thank you 🤣

• Heart
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.