Books #14 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Finished the audiobook of Lillian boxfish. Took a while to get into it, but really enjoyed it by the end. Adore Lillian.

Makes me want to go talk to lots of old ladies and hear their life stories
I read this one last year and loved it. ❤ what a lady. I didn't realise until I had finished that it was inspired by a real person.
---

Does anyone remember the scholastic book fairs? I remember a book bus coming round and our parents would send us in with money. I once bought a book called Yob and it was about a dog who’d took a knock to the head and all his commands were backwards 😂

Like this:
Yes!! We didn't have the van though they would set up in the games hall. I once stole a bookmark that I really wanted and been feeling guilty about it ever since 😂 the only thing I've ever stolen

Reactions: 8
Got Jojo Moyes new book ‘someone else’s shoes’ from the library.
Looks good but I’ve not seen any reviews. I’ve liked some of her books in the past but not all.

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I read this one last year and loved it. ❤ what a lady. I didn't realise until I had finished that it was inspired by a real person.
---

Yes!! We didn't have the van though they would set up in the games hall. I once stole a bookmark that I really wanted and been feeling guilty about it ever since 😂 the only thing I've ever stolen
Yeah, we didn't have the van, but they had those big wheelie bookcases that opened sort of like suitcases.

Looks good but I’ve not seen any reviews. I’ve liked some of her books in the past but not all.
oh please let us know if it’s a good read. I read ‘Me before you’ when it first came out, and that along with the fault in our stars are the only two books that I’ve had to finish whilst literally sobbing.

also loving the nostalgia here - the real irony is that because everyone has that love and knowledge of reading, the thread is almost like an age revelation for us all where certain books were popular or some hadn’t been released.

Reactions: 7
Neither of my parents were readers and I don’t remember my grandparents reading much either. They were more into reference and non-fiction books. my granny still has their bookcase which I have fond memories of rummaging through. The only fiction book they had that I wanted to read was Black Beauty and I remember I read it on many holidays there when I’d ran out of books. It was a lovely hardback edition with those plate type illustrations 😍

I’m not sure what book to read next. I picked up a non fiction about the White House Farm murders so might start that. I can’t remember if it was recommended on here or the true crime thread.

Reactions: 2
Quick update!
chapter 15 and I’m really really enjoying it so far, I thought I would from reading the blurb and it’s not disappointing so far! 🙂
so far it seems a bit “lighter” to her usual work, but i could be wrong.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
After the discussion a few weeks ago about the audio version of Becoming by Michelle Obama. I decided to take the plunge and start it. Its been in my audible library for over 2 years 🙈

Im listening on 1.2 (which is my usual listening speed) but it could definitely be taken up a notch imo.

Im finding it surprisingly easy listening so far and enjoying it. Only maybe 2 hours in but thumbs up so far from me.

Work is so slow this week, if nothing happens tomorrow I think I might start taking my iPad with me so I can read 😏 Still haven’t finished Vladimir and it’s quite short, shame on me!

Reactions: 3
I rarely post in this thread, but enjoy reading it to see what other posters think of books they've read. I've just finished BELLA MAFIA by Lynda La Plante. It's a very long book with almost 800 pages, but it's brilliant. Took me five days to read it, and thoroughly enjoyed every page.

Im listening on 1.2
oh question for everyone after reading this.

What is your reading speed?
I started on 1.5 but find anything lower than 2.5 really slow now 😂
But my mum heard an audiobook playing at that speed and thought her head was spinning 😂

• Haha
I finished Vladimir yesterday. I'm not sure how I feel about it to be honest.

But my mum heard an audiobook playing at that speed and thought her head was spinning 😂
I don't increase the speed as it sounds weird to me 🤣 that said, I'm tempted to increase the speed on Spare as Harry's voice is annoying me and I just want to finish it.

• Haha

I listen on 2.0

For some reason my phone reset to 1.0 the other day and it was so slow!

Spare as Harry's voice is annoying me and I just want to finish it.
I actually thought he’d be a good audiobook narrator when she bins him off and he needs a job 😂 but I listen to that at 2.5 😂
---

I listen on 2.0

For some reason my phone reset to 1.0 the other day and it was so slow!
Isn’t it’s so weird when you listen to anything lower than 2 once you get used to it!

I listen on 1.4 or 1.5

Around 500 words per minute for me so a fast reader however I mostly listen to audiobooks while I do my paid job so Im not concentrating as much as I do when Im physically reading. 🙈

It depends on the narrator. I usually listen at around 1.5 - 2.
---

I don't increase the speed as it sounds weird to me 🤣 that said, I'm tempted to increase the speed on Spare as Harry's voice is annoying me and I just want to finish it.
Someone said to me he sounds like Gordon Ramsay and I can’t unhear it now 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.