Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

justonemorepage

VIP Member
Hey everyone, I'm new to this thread. I've set myself a reading goal this year of a book a month and already I'm on my third so I'm not doing too bad! I used to read a lot as a teenager/early twenties but then full time work and life crept up on me and I lost my attention span for reading so it's lovely to pick it back up again and actually enjoy it.

• Heart
Reactions: 32

docmum

VIP Member
Stumbled upon this thread last night. Been out of the reading game for over a year due to physical illness and mental stress meaning I simply haven’t had the capacity to concentrate on reading. Ironically the brain escape I get from reading has probably been the most needed and also the most missed over this time. Anyway. I also haven’t been out and about into shops so hadn’t heard of the housemaid until seeing the recommendations here last night. I downloaded it this evening around 6pm on to my kindle and within 4 hours I’ve finished it and am searching for my next read.
Those who love reading but have lost it for periods of time due to other life events will know how grateful I am right now for this thread. Almost 4 hours of escape in to a book that was easy to read but equally full of enough twists to feel ‘different’ to my usual preferred thrillers. Thank you tattlers ❤

• Heart
Reactions: 31

123lee

Didn’t realise there was a books thread on here - can I join?
I’ve read 13 books this year so far, currently reading Hostage by Clare Mackintosh. My husband has recently got back into gaming in the evenings and I’m trying to pick books up instead of doom scrolling on social media all night. Probably a good idea as I’ve got probably close to 800 books in the house that I haven’t read . . . Yet it doesn’t stop me from weekly library reservations 🤦🏼‍♀️

• Heart
Reactions: 31

Elle

VIP Member
Just finished Idol by Louise O'Neil and have given it 3*. Found it to be a decent thriller. Has anyone else read it?

On a separate note, can I just say how much I love this thread?! It's so enjoyable reading all of the discussions and recommendations. Everyone is so interesting and supportive and it just feels like a really nice community. Loving the influx of new people and observers turned contributors.

• Heart
Reactions: 27

nbt

VIP Member
January round up and some geeky stats. Don’t come at me for my book of the month 🫣😂 I can’t believe for years I read nothing but thrillers and it turns out my cold heart actually warms up for a romance 😶🌫

Kindle Unlimited - 4 (huge progress!)
Physical - 2
E-books - 5
Audio - 3

Four of those were in my A-Z challenge too, so I feel 2023 has started well!

Somehow I started and ended the month with 156 unread books on my kindle. I couldn’t be bothered to work out the stats and depending on who you speak to, that’s either a win or a loss. I’d like to think you lot will be celebrating that as a win for me, at least I’m not buying quicker than I can read 😂

EC35C242-77DF-40C5-A663-2EC2899C0BCF.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 22

StatusWoe

VIP Member
Don't know if I mentioned it before on this thread, but I found an old library book I'd kept since early childhood. I think the date stamp said 1997 or 1999. Anyway, I Googled the library and it doesn't exist anymore so... 😬 🤷‍♀️

ETA: Kind of paranoid about admitting this on a public forum in case the Library Police put me in prison for bookcrime.

• Haha
Reactions: 22

Elle

VIP Member
With a new year and a new thread comes new books that we definitely don't need but we want so we will buy them. Cheers to that

• Heart
  • Haha
Reactions: 20

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
I DNF books now. If I'm not feeling it by about 60 pages I give up and move on. I wouldn't sit and watch a crappy movie/tv show that I wasn't enjoying, I'd change the channel. So I treat books the same.

Too many great books out there that are more deserving of my time.

Reactions: 20

smellsofbiscuits

VIP Member
Love Connell aswell 💔
My second born was incredibly close to being named Connell. But then it felt a bit icky picking his name purely based on my Normal People obsession during lockdown 🙈

---

If you are reading a physical paper book are you a bookmark person or a corner folding one?
Bookmark of course; I am not a savage *clutches pearls*

---

I am still, 20 or so years later, extremely resentful of my childhood friend who borrowed both my first edition hardback of a His Dark Materials book, and all three of my LOTR books, and then when I asked for them back, claimed I'd never lent them to her.
I got stung at a young age. My then best friend (who didn't go to my school) asked to borrow my prestine Roald Dahl collection to take into her class. Think this was when we were about 7/8. I said yes, in spite of my mum's misgivings, and was deeply upset when they returned, a month later, with cracked spines, torn pages and covers. Think that fuelled the eventual break down of that friendship 😬

Unrelated but for my 21st birthday then boyfriend (now husband) bought me a Roald Dahl box set that I still have. Knew he was a keeper after that.

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 19

S06

I'm a long-time lurker also but want to join in!

I have noticed myself using my phone less of an evening too thanks to starting to read again! I have also been taking my books to work to read for 20 mins-30 mins on my lunch break instead of scrolling aimlessly!

I read 14 books last year which was the most I'd read in a year for years but this year I want to top that! Already on book no 5 of 2023 :D

I read a lot of thrillers/Stephen King and psychological non-fiction :)

• Heart
Reactions: 19

Mamacita

VIP Member
Had a quick scan of the 99p deals, some which look good

This Time Next Year - Sophie Cousens
29 Seconds - T.M Logan
A Man Called Ove - Fredrik Backman
Notes on an Execution - Danta Kukafka
Vladimir - Julie May Jones
The Most Fun We Ever Had - Claire Lombardo
Ask Again, Yes - Mary Beth Keane (I think this would be a good book club pick)
Writers & Lovers - Lily King
Glue - Irvine Welsh (havent read an Irvine Welsh book I havent liked)
The No-Show - Beth O'Leary
Funny You Should Ask - Elisaa Sussman

Much better line up than January in my opinion. Again I wont be taking advantage in my effort to get my TBR down. I have quite a few of these already 😄
I went for Glue and This Time Next Year.

What I really hate on Amazon is when you try to read the synopsis for a book but can't find it and instead get a million quotes about the book and they're usually the same for every book "best read ever" "this book is like a warm cup of hot chocolate" - who cares????

• Heart
Reactions: 18

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
I am sure most of us follow Sissi but her cloth bound library is my goal.

Screenshot_20230130_164042_Instagram.jpg

I do buy books because of their covers, especially beautiful ones, but equally I often feel sorry for the ugly covers and buy those too.

There is a really pretty Love in the time of Cholera edition

Screenshot_20230130_165039_Dolphin.jpg

I just love that.

But of course, the best one ever -

Screenshot_20230130_165316_Dolphin.jpg

I am fortunate that my copy doesn't have that 60th anniversary edition sticker on it.

• Heart

paulpercy666

Chatty Member
So glad I’ve found this thread!!!! 🥰
Like a lot of people I’m trying to get back into reading this year, I do genuinely love it but am also addicted to my phone lol so trying to get back into old habits & reduce my screen time. So far I’ve read 5 books this year (not great but a start!) including Second Place by Rachel Cusk - I enjoyed it but I’m certain I’m not smart enough to fully appreciate it

• Heart

ToxicPony

Chatty Member
I slyly hate lending books out. My mum always lends my books to her friends and I just need to hope and pray they come back how they went out 😂
I am still, 20 or so years later, extremely resentful of my childhood friend who borrowed both my first edition hardback of a His Dark Materials book, and all three of my LOTR books, and then when I asked for them back, claimed I'd never lent them to her.

• Wow
  • Sad