Books #14 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
aw here i am! 🥰 i’ve been in vegas for a week and have just returned (with some epic jet lag!)

betty was a strange one for me. i loved the writing and i think the author is a real talent - but the almost relentless piling of trauma on trauma got too much. i got very attached to the lead though and i want some kind of sequel so we could see her navigate into older life.

to the person upthread who mentioned ice hockey books. YES JOIN ME/US. hockey and reading are my two favourite things and having them combined?! thank you 🤣
I've just got icebreaker I've heard it's a good hockey romance! It's everywhere atm hahah

• Heart
Reactions: 3
I've just got icebreaker I've heard it's a good hockey romance! It's everywhere atm hahah
i have icebreaker too! looking forward to it 💙 i think @Caffeine Fiend mentioned it a few pages back as being a very sweet read.

most of my hockey recommendations will be of the (cough cough) self published variety and mostly about (cough cough) romances between team mates but i am LOVING this new genre. it’s a sport that brings me a lot of joy in general so it makes me happy to see it so popular.

Reactions: 2
Guys I'm in a bit of a slump since finishing Betty - help! I started We All Want Impossible Things as I thought it would be a quick read but I just haven't been picking it up. I think I need a palate cleanser. It's not like I'm short on options!

Have read all the Twisted Books. I am a fan of that genre.

Twisted Games was my favourite, Rhys and Bridget are 🥰 Twisted Hate was good too. The other two I felt werent great. Twisted Lies in particular was just far too long and I just didnt like the characters at all.

Milkman by Anna Burns was one of my very very fee DNF. Could not get on board. Would recommend something like Trespasses or Before My Heart Actually Breaks instead.

I enjoyed The Paper Palace. We read it for our July Book Club and it went down well actually. I dont think anyone disliked it really. I cant remember any strong feelings of hatred any way. Lots of descriptive passages on setting the scene. If you dont like that sort of thing, you may find it a bit of a drawn out read.
I have sort of skimmed through Milkman and tbh I don't know if its for me even just from how it seems to be written, I feel like I will struggle to read it. I am from NI and didn't actually know it was an NI book, but its one of the ones I got from a girl on depop for like £1.20 so at least its not huge money wasted.

Thank you, I'll definitely post here once I read them what I think of them all :)

Gosh you’ve read a few indeed!!!! How about some Elizabeth Strout? High quality but not too demanding.
Yes, maybe a trip back to cosy Amgash is what I need.

I am still in hospital and in bed 90% of the time. I noticed on a Kindle it tells you this book takes an average of 7hrs 43min to read a 350 page book. I am reading physical books but can read one a day if there is nothing else going on and I can concentrate.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Guys I'm in a bit of a slump since finishing Betty - help! I started We All Want Impossible Things as I thought it would be a quick read but I just haven't been picking it up. I think I need a palate cleanser. It's not like I'm short on options!
I recommend the people on platform 5- an easy upbeatish book and easy to get through

Yes, maybe a trip back to cosy Amgash is what I need.

I am still in hospital and in bed 90% of the time. I noticed on a Kindle it tells you this book takes an average of 7hrs 43min to read a 350 page book. I am reading physical books but can read one a day if there is nothing else going on and I can concentrate.
You poor darling. I’ve spent the last week near housebound with a recurring tummy issue that’s starting to worry me, so I have an inkling as to how stir crazy you must be. I’m impressed you’re managing to read though. I was in hospital for a wk a few yrs ago and the constant noise made reading impossible. I am very very easily distracted though. I need basically silence! Give my love to the folk of Amgash 😻
---

aw here i am! 🥰 i’ve been in vegas for a week and have just returned (with some epic jet lag!)

betty was a strange one for me. i loved the writing and i think the author is a real talent - but the almost relentless piling of trauma on trauma got too much. i got very attached to the lead though and i want some kind of sequel so we could see her navigate into older life.

to the person upthread who mentioned ice hockey books. YES JOIN ME/US. hockey and reading are my two favourite things and having them combined?! thank you 🤣
Welcome home! How was your trip?!

I was so moved by Betty when in the throes of it, but the more time that passes, the more uncomfortable I am about it all. It was beautiful but god it was relentlessly traumatic. As someone said, the last third was almost unbearable. Her new book is out this month I think!

Reactions: 7
Just finished A Man Called Ove. My heart 😭 loved it and loved the writing style.

I’ve seen people say his books are quite slow, this is the first of Backman I’ve read but I didn’t think so, just wondered people who’ve read more than one was that one you’d consider slow? Or are others slower?

• Heart
Reactions: 5
In my quest to read the oldest books on my kindle, I read All My Lies Are True by Dorothy Koomson this week. I persevered more than enjoyed it and was slightly disappointed with the sequel to The Ice Cream

Bought the Call The Midwife trilogy today on Kindle for 88p if anyone's interested in it!

Just finished Blue Murder by Cath Staincliffe. Quite liked it although it's a bit outdated nowadays. About to sit down and start The No-Show by Beth O'Leary

Reactions: 1
I got three books from the library this week -

I started to read Mariana by Monica Dickens only to find I read it in 2021

I had to DNF Amy and Lan by Sadie Jones because I really hate any kind of animal cruelty in books.

So let's hope House of Fortune by Jessie Burton works out better :LOL:

I read a NetGalley book recently that I gave 5* to - The Middle Daughter by Chika Unigwe. It reminded me of The Girl With the Louding Voice which I also loved.

Reactions: 1
I see your addictions to ice hockey romances and raise you Archive of Our Own fan fiction of various characters getting it on 🙈 I actually loathe myself for my current obsession with Commander Lawrence from The Handmaid's Tale.

• Haha
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.