Books #14 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
what book Sparked your love for reading?

for me, the faraway tree by EB
---
oh gosh there’s a blast from the past! I remember loving that series (there were a few weren’t there?) and there was an enchanted chair series too? I was never keen on the famous five or the other seven smug kids though.

I transitioned from EB to the Babysitters Club which I could exchange with school friends. Oh and then the Goosebumps books before RL Stine which in hindsight were really very dark for their given audience!
---

Definitely read a palette cleanser, wouldnt go straight into that after Betty 🤣🤣 (another great book!)
oh well I’m reading Sunny at the moment which is very easy fare whilst still being quite engaging

• Heart
Reactions: 4

---

my thoughts are with you as you try and wade through this book 🤣
hahaha that’s what daisy jones felt like, like every word was just one step closer to being finished, maybe TJR just isn’t for me

• Heart
Reactions: 1
It's my birthday soon and my mum has offered to take me shopping and for lunch. For context, we both hate clothes shopping but I think she's running out of ideas (plus I think she wants to spend time together, just the two of us). AIBU to say can she just take me to Waterstones and/or The Works and set a budget??
I love that idea!! Fun and something different

Tracy Beaker, I used to read it over and over again as a child. I loved anything by Jacqueline Wilson, can definitely credit her for my love of books

Did anyone ever read the usbourne puzzle adventures books?
Absolutely loved these!!!!

73D3CA88-EFFD-4065-91EE-02C951FA329B.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 6

---
For me, it was definitely EB. And, although I read the faraway tree, I’m sure I read Mr Pinkwhistle first. When my sisters were getting dolls and what I thought of as silly toys, I was always overwhelmed to receive books as presents.
X

Last edited:
  • Heart
For me, it was definitely EB. And, although I read the faraway tree, I’m sure I read Mr Pinkwhistle first. When my sisters were getting dolls and what I thought of as silly tots, I was always overwhelmed to receive books as presents.
X
Enid Blyton for me too. The Faraway Tree books, Famous Five, Secret Seven and then Mallory Towers and St Claires.

On the subject of boarding school books, did anyone ever read The Chalet School books? They were quite old fashioned, I think it was actually my mum who got me into them because she read them when she was young. The were boarding school books set in the Alps and there were loads of them in the series - to the point where some of the later books were about the original characters kids! Our local library had some but I very rarely come across anyone else who knows about them!

Reactions: 7
Enid Blyton for me too. The Faraway Tree books, Famous Five, Secret Seven and then Mallory Towers and St Claires.

On the subject of boarding school books, did anyone ever read The Chalet School books? They were quite old fashioned, I think it was actually my mum who got me into them because she read them when she was young. The were boarding school books set in the Alps and there were loads of them in the series - to the point where some of the later books were about the original characters kids! Our local library had some but I very rarely come across anyone else who knows about them!
Yes! I never read the series as a kid but have come across them as an adult. There's a company that republishes all the Chalet School books and similar books https://www.ggbp.co.uk/
The covers are so fun.

Reactions: 3
I feel like there’s an age divide here between the Enid’s and the Wilson’s 😂
I’m old. The end.

• Haha
Reactions: 14
Yep im an Enid fan too! Loved all of her books! Whatshisnane was one of my fav characters!!

Also read all the Roald Dahls and was significantly freaked out by the witches as a youngster 🤣

Judy Blune aswell in my early teens.

Also loved goosebumps, the sweet valley twins/high series and point horror i think they were called?!

Reactions: 5
I loved reading the English Dictionary and Holy Bible when I was little

• Haha
Reactions: 10
For me it was Jacqueline Wilson predominantly, then The Babysitters Club, Goosebumps and Roald Dahl.

Once I got to mid/late teens I used to raid my stepmums bookcase for Jane Green, Adele Parks and Sophie Kinsella books ☺

• Heart
Reactions: 9
I remember our teacher in year 2 reading us the magic faraway tree, she'd even bring in pop cakes for us :love:

From there I'd definitely say I was a Jacqueline Wilson kid!

Reactions: 5
I'm an Enid Blyton person too. Few things have made me happier than seeing my girls reading my childhood copies of her books. Not the Famous Five ones though, hated those sour children.

I am reading Blade in the Shadow by Jillian Halket, it is about a lady living with OCD. I started it a while ago but as someone who struggles with genuine OCD it was a bit up close and personal. But it is a great account of her life. I think it is less than £2 on Amazon as well.

• Heart
Reactions: 11
Did anyone ever read the usbourne puzzle adventures books?
Absolutely loved these!!!!

View attachment 1942301
oh wow. I haven’t thought about these for about 30 years but I loved them. I can only compare the excitement I feel looking at them to the modern day equivalent of new apple products or software/gaming updates 🤣😩
---

---

my thoughts are with you as you try and wade through this book 🤣
i loved the faraway tree series, the secret seven, Nancy drew, the saddle club… I used to read a new book in a day and then get told off for it 🤦‍♀️ I have tried to pass the love down though, my little one went as moonface from the faraway tree series for World Book day ☺

• Heart
I feel like there’s an age divide here between the Enid’s and the Wilson’s 😂
I’m old. The end.
It was both for me! I grew up in the 90’s and loved Wilson but I adored all the Enid Blyton’s too. I remember the local librarian was absolutely thrilled when she saw me coming to check out my stack of Famous Five’s and Mallory Towers as they were somewhat neglected and out of fashion at the time.

I only started reading around 10yo and it was directly 'adult books' that my parents had. But one exception was Les Malheurs de Sophie/Sophie's Misfortunes, still love it tbh. Ironically, I read more children books now as an adult, it's a great way to learn foreign languages!

Reactions: 2
I loved reading the English Dictionary and Holy Bible when I was little
Sorry I thought this was hilarious.

I have the same childhood faves as lots of you: Enid Blighton and Roald Dahl. Also LOVED Beatrix Potter.

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.