Books #14 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I loved all of the books already mentioned, and also Narnia. I had the audiobook cassettes.

In Australia we also had a series of books called 'Aussie Bites' and 'Aussie Nibbles' published by Penguin that literally had the corner chopped off like a creature had bitten it off. They were big favourites in our school library. I also loved Jackie French's books. She was a prolific Childrens/YA austhor in Aus. French had a book called 'Hitler's Daughter' which looking back had a really weird plot for a children's book https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hitler's_Daughter

Ohh, another favourite Australian author was John Marsden. His Tomorrow When the War series also has on reflection an intense/wild plot https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tomorrow,_When_the_War_Began

I am reading Blade in the Shadow by Jillian Halket, it is about a lady living with OCD. I started it a while ago but as someone who struggles with genuine OCD it was a bit up close and personal. But it is a great account of her life. I think it is less than £2 on Amazon as well.
This was one of my favourite reads last year! Very raw and honest depiction I thought
---

I’m reading A Man Called Ove and absolutely loving it. Love the writing style, definitely going to read more from the author

Reactions: 7
Ooooh I have that on my kindle but my current mood may not be able to cope with the apparent bleakness , especially after Betty!
I went straight in after Betty and although it is bleak, it’s quite a quick and easy read.

Reactions: 2
The Nancy Drew books kick started my love of books. I read Enid Blyton but Nancy Drew was my first book love! Used to love going to the library every week to get a new one out!

I just bought Jo Nesbos The Bat to get me out of this horrible slump!

Reactions: 4
I used to love Nancy Drew, Babysitters Club, Roald Dahl, Sweet Valley High, Goosebumps, The Borrowers, Point Horror, Ruth Thomas, Joan Lingard, Helen White (the Children's Ward books), but my favourite is a little-known book called The Watchers: A Mystery at Alton Towers by Helen Cresswell.

Reactions: 3
what book Sparked your love for reading?

for me, the faraway tree by EB
Enid Blyton's Tales of Toyland was the first book I ever read on my own as a child (I was around 5/6 yo..). I then read Look out, Secret Seven which I had literally begged my mum to buy for me 🤣 When I got home I sat myself on the sofa and read it all afternoon and evening.

I have loved reading since I was old enough to be able to. I was fortunate in that I was an advanced reader for my age so I moved onto 'books with no pictures' fairly young. Those two books are the first books I remember reading with little assistance from my parents. I grew up watching my nan read book after book and I think I caught that bug from her very early on!

• Heart
Reactions: 6
oh gosh there’s a blast from the past! I remember loving that series (there were a few weren’t there?) and there was an enchanted chair series too? I was never keen on the famous five or the other seven smug kids though.

---
Ah it’s the wishing chair!

• Heart
The Saddle Club, Point Horror and His Dark Materials were my ultimate childhood books, however I did also greatly enjoy reading my parents' atlas and as such am really good at naming the US state capitals.

I transitioned from EB to the Babysitters Club which I could exchange with school friends. Oh and then the Goosebumps books before RL Stine which in hindsight were really very dark for their given audience!
I LOVED RL Stine books and most of the Point Horror series. I would raid the local library and borrow as many as I could! Does anyone remember Point Romance? I remember reading a book called "Two Timer" - 11 year old me felt sooo edgy 🤣

I also read Junk by Melvin Burgess (I think it has been renamed to Smack or something now) which was about teenage heroin addicts.

From year 9 to 11 at Secondary, I really enjoyed the books I studied for SATS and GCSE. To Kill a Mockingbird will always be one of my favourite books of all time.

• Heart
Reactions: 6
I LOVED RL Stine books and most of the Point Horror series. I would raid the local library and borrow as many as I could! Does anyone remember Point Romance? I remember reading a book called "Two Timer" - 11 year old me felt sooo edgy 🤣

I also read Junk by Melvin Burgess (I think it has been renamed to Smack or something now) which was about teenage heroin addicts.

From year 9 to 11 at Secondary, I really enjoyed the books I studied for SATS and GCSE. To Kill a Mockingbird will always be one of my favourite books of all time.
I remember reading Junk when I was about 12 👀

Enid Blyton for me too. The Faraway Tree books, Famous Five, Secret Seven and then Mallory Towers and St Claires.

On the subject of boarding school books, did anyone ever read The Chalet School books? They were quite old fashioned, I think it was actually my mum who got me into them because she read them when she was young. The were boarding school books set in the Alps and there were loads of them in the series - to the point where some of the later books were about the original characters kids! Our local library had some but I very rarely come across anyone else who knows about them!
I used to read these! There was a character called Giselle and I always thought it was pronounced 'Grizzle' until I read it aloud once and got corrected, haha

• Haha
The Saddle Club, Point Horror and His Dark Materials were my ultimate childhood books, however I did also greatly enjoy reading my parents' atlas and as such am really good at naming the US state capitals.
The Saddle Club!! I loved the books! I had so many of them. I wasn't allowed to ride a horse so I read novels about it instead. 😆

I loved Jaqueline Wilson, Harry Potter (obv), The Chronicles of Narnia, The Saddle Club, The Baby Sitters Club and Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging 😅 I also loved Goosebumps. Does anyone remember the give yourself goosebumps books, where you had to make a decision and then turn to a certain page depending on what you decided.

The library was my favourite day out as a kid 😂 I’d read the entirety of the kids section by the time I was about 11 so they upgraded me to an adult card. My mum nearly had a heart attack when I came home with Watermelon by Marian Keyes and asked her what a birth canal meant 😂

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 11
I don’t remember the very first book I read but I did enjoy Jacqueline Wilson (especially Best Friends 💔) and the Nancy Drew series as a child. I received all the Harry Potter books for one of my birthdays and even then I didn’t get the hype, I guess I started having unpopular book opinions at a very young age 😅 I did love Percy Jackson and the Olympians though. And does anyone else remember Fairy Realm by Emily Rodda? It was a whole series about a girl called Jessie whose grandmother was a fairy. My mother would buy me these books but I’ve never heard of them since.
I loved reading the English Dictionary and Holy Bible when I was little
I must admit I did read the dictionary when little as I’ve always been fascinated with words 😊 Really good for expanding your vocabulary in a foreign language!

Reactions: 4
I loved Jaqueline Wilson, Harry Potter (obv), The Chronicles of Narnia, The Saddle Club, The Baby Sitters Club and Angus, Thongs and Full Frontal Snogging 😅 I also loved Goosebumps. Does anyone remember the give yourself goosebumps books, where you had to make a decision and then turn to a certain page depending on what you decided.

The library was my favourite day out as a kid 😂 I’d read the entirety of the kids section by the time I was about 11 so they upgraded me to an adult card. My mum nearly had a heart attack when I came home with Watermelon by Marian Keyes and asked her what a birth canal meant 😂
I used to love the give yourself Goosebumps books!!

Reactions: 1
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.