Books #14 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I loved The Secret of Strangers, it was in my top 5 last year

Malibu Rising was the biggest load of pap imho. Evelyn Hugo slightly better.

Reactions: 6
I just finished Bloomsbury Girls and it sounded like a book I’d enjoy, and while it was well written, I felt it moved too slowly and dragged, and it all worked out a little too neatly. I couldn’t quite get behind some of the characters. I really wanted to like it but in the end, it got 3 ⭐ out of 5.

Reactions: 2
My addiction is back in full force 🙈 just ordered another 11 books including the housemaid and the secret of strangers. So that's 29 books in total I've bought this month 🙈 now I need to find the time to read them all 😂

• Haha
Reactions: 11
My addiction is back in full force 🙈 just ordered another 11 books including the housemaid and the secret of strangers. So that's 29 books in total I've bought this month 🙈 now I need to find the time to read them all 😂
That is an impressive haul. And makes me feel like my addiction isn't so bad 😂.

I made an inventory of all my unread books and it's around 200. Really going to try to get through them and avoid buying new ones...

Reading Pride and Prejudice at the moment. There are a fair few classics I want to read. Always tend to choose contemporary lit. It is good (of course) but requires a lot of concentration!

Reactions: 7
Got a £15 voucher for Amazon….who is the author of The Housemaid that keeps getting mentioned? Think I’m also going to buy Betty….it’s available in my local library but I can’t slyly read that at my desk at work like I can on my phone (first world problems!)

• Haha
Reactions: 9
Got a £15 voucher for Amazon….who is the author of The Housemaid that keeps getting mentioned? Think I’m also going to buy Betty….it’s available in my local library but I can’t slyly read that at my desk at work like I can on my phone (first world problems!)
Freida McFadden, it’s on KU if you have that 😊

Regarding TJR I enjoyed Evelyn & After I Do, I still have Malibu, MIAL & DJATS to read
---

I was in Asda today and they really had a good selection on the 2 for £8 deal. Im not mad keen on physical books so I didnt buy anything but they did have a great display.

Also saw on facebook someone saying Aldi had a stand alone display of some romance books £2.99 each.
I shop in Asda and my husband has to steer me away from the book aisle :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: 1
It's my birthday soon and my mum has offered to take me shopping and for lunch. For context, we both hate clothes shopping but I think she's running out of ideas (plus I think she wants to spend time together, just the two of us). AIBU to say can she just take me to Waterstones and/or The Works and set a budget??

• Heart
It's my birthday soon and my mum has offered to take me shopping and for lunch. For context, we both hate clothes shopping but I think she's running out of ideas (plus I think she wants to spend time together, just the two of us). AIBU to say can she just take me to Waterstones and/or The Works and set a budget??
Not at all!

I'm sure she would rather buy you something you want than clothes for the sake of it

I love this idea I think that's great!

Sounds perfect to me! If you’re right and she just wants to spend some time with you then where better than somewhere you’re definitely going to enjoy? Is your mum a reader too? Maybe you could have a wander round Waterstones and share some recommendations with each other? Or if she’s not you could suggest something you think she might want to try.

Reactions: 3
not at all. I bought my sister and my mam a book subscription for their birthdays in the past 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 4
I can’t see it’s been mentioned, but for all the TJR chat I’ve just got Carrie Soto on kindle daily deals for £1.99. I finished Daisy Jones last night and actually found it quite boring, I didn’t like the interview style of writing because I didn’t really care for the story of most of the characters, I think a book purely from her perspective would have been far more interesting, but even she was quite annoying. However, I really like tennis so I wanted to read Carrie Soto but didn’t wanna pay £8 when I’m on a book ban😂

It wasnt too long and i didnt want to put it down really as it was quite fast paced and didnt drag like most books in that genre do.

Yes definitely not one to read if you’re feeling like that, not sure what I would have done in that situation

bit annoying we didnt find out what actually happened/where they were but nonetheless still a good read
I’ve just finished I Who Have Never Known Men - read it in two sittings, one last night up to 50% then the other half on the train today. I loved it! So intriguing but yet heartbreaking. But I totally agree with the point in your spoiler - I want more!

• Heart
what book Sparked your love for reading?

for me, the faraway tree by EB
---

I can’t see it’s been mentioned, but for all the TJR chat I’ve just got Carrie Soto on kindle daily deals for £1.99. I finished Daisy Jones last night and actually found it quite boring, I didn’t like the interview style of writing because I didn’t really care for the story of most of the characters, I think a book purely from her perspective would have been far more interesting, but even she was quite annoying. However, I really like tennis so I wanted to read Carrie Soto but didn’t wanna pay £8 when I’m on a book ban😂
my thoughts are with you as you try and wade through this book 🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 8
Just bought Carrie Soto! Cheers for the heads up!

Reactions: 5
I’ve just finished I Who Have Never Known Men - read it in two sittings, one last night up to 50% then the other half on the train today. I loved it! So intriguing but yet heartbreaking. But I totally agree with the point in your spoiler - I want more!
Ooooh I have that on my kindle but my current mood may not be able to cope with the apparent bleakness , especially after Betty!

Reactions: 1
@Oohthedrama you were missed a few pages back now when we had the Co-ho sucks debate! 🤣

What sparked my reading was as a kid, my mum got me a book (which i cnt remember what its called so if anyone has a clue let me know) it was about a family that moved to a different planet, think it has a brother and sister, they moved to Mars I want to say, all about how they adjusted to life and school.

I read it in one day and the feeling of being in another place/life was just so amazing to me. I completely drowned out the world around me in those hours, its amazing that even now i still get thay feeling with reading
---

Ooooh I have that on my kindle but my current mood may not be able to cope with the apparent bleakness , especially after Betty!
Definitely read a palette cleanser, wouldnt go straight into that after Betty 🤣🤣 (another great book!)

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.