Books #14 Reading Chats

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Loving the nostalgia on this thread! I think I started reading as soon as I could and I’ve been hooked ever since.

I loved Enid Blyton books, Jacqueline Wilson, Goosebumps, Harry Potter, Sweet Valley High, Babysitters Club.

I remember these and have distinct memories of the case with all the yellow tapes in. Did anyone have these?

8F7560FB-E6DC-429C-B13B-2763F55C4944.jpeg

FFA9B36E-B135-4EAB-93D8-085A18EAE90F.jpeg

• Heart
Reactions: 11
I’ve been reading as long as I can remember so I can’t remember what made me fall in love with reading but some of you have given me blasts from the past! Jacqueline Wilson was probably first but can’t be sure, The Famous Five, Babysitters Club, Harry Potter and A Series of Unfortunate Events (I think this was probably my first series. I vividly remember being in Waterstones with my dad and looking at them when there was about 5 or 6 out and then he bought me them all for my Christmas!). I also loved the Louise Rennison series too.

I also remember being about 11 or 12 and my dad took me to the library to get a card. Our closest one was miles away and we didn’t have a car and I remember I used to walk about an hour each way every few weeks to take out the maximum books haha! I used to read as I walked home (bit dangerous!)
---

Omg same hahaha I totally forgot about that book until reading your post
OMG is this the one that was basically a book about taking heroin?! I definitely read that when I was about 12 too! It must have stuck with me as I barely remember what I read last week never mind 20 years ago haha
---

Ooh I also forgot the Noughts and Crosses series! Not sure how as I still re-read them from time to time and my first book is completely wrecked and has detached from the spine haha

Last edited:
  • Heart
Reactions: 5
I used to love Nancy Drew, Babysitters Club, Roald Dahl, Sweet Valley High, Goosebumps, The Borrowers, Point Horror, Ruth Thomas, Joan Lingard, Helen White (the Children's Ward books), but my favourite is a little-known book called The Watchers: A Mystery at Alton Towers by Helen Cresswell.
OMG point horror 😍

OMG I have thought about that vanishing village book for YEARS and YEARS and could never remember what it was called!!!!!!!!
I got 2 on eBay about 5 years ago but I couldn’t find any more.
They were honestly the best books ever!!

1903CF95-16E0-47FB-B623-E13A7CE24D52.jpeg

Reactions: 5
Loving the nostalgia on this thread! I think I started reading as soon as I could and I’ve been hooked ever since.

I loved Enid Blyton books, Jacqueline Wilson, Goosebumps, Harry Potter, Sweet Valley High, Babysitters Club.

I remember these and have distinct memories of the case with all the yellow tapes in. Did anyone have these?

View attachment 1943045
View attachment 1943048
BOOKS ON TAPES!!!! The memories!!!!!
Kids these days will NEVER know the horror of getting the thread stuck or pulled out 😂
---

Remember getting this book for Christmas one year when I was about 9/10 and spending all Christmas Day reading it.
Absolutely LOVED this series. Never forgot it.

Attachments

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4
Omg I just remembered Judy Blume and my friend and I secretly reading what seemed to us to be incredibly scandalous fare about periods and sex 😂

Reactions: 7
Omg I just remembered Judy Blume and my friend and I secretly reading what seemed to us to be incredibly scandalous fare about periods and sex 😂
Haha! Yeah I remember a copy of Forever doing the rounds of my group of friends with the corners of certain pages folded over to mark the “good” bits!

• Haha
Reactions: 6
I’ve been reading as long as I can remember so I can’t remember what made me fall in love with reading but some of you have given me blasts from the past! Jacqueline Wilson was probably first but can’t be sure, The Famous Five, Babysitters Club, Harry Potter and A Series of Unfortunate Events (I think this was probably my first series. I vividly remember being in Waterstones with my dad and looking at them when there was about 5 or 6 out and then he bought me them all for my Christmas!). I also loved the Louise Rennison series too.

I also remember being about 11 or 12 and my dad took me to the library to get a card. Our closest one was miles away and we didn’t have a car and I remember I used to walk about an hour each way every few weeks to take out the maximum books haha! I used to read as I walked home (bit dangerous!)
---

OMG is this the one that was basically a book about taking heroin?! I definitely read that when I was about 12 too! It must have stuck with me as I barely remember what I read last week never mind 20 years ago haha
---

Ooh I also forgot the Noughts and Crosses series! Not sure how as I still re-read them from time to time and my first book is completely wrecked and has detached from the spine haha
Omg I adored the Louise Rennison books. They genuinely made me laugh out loud so much.

And yeah all about heroin!! My mum obvs had no idea what I was reading 😂 if I remember correctly the main character ran away from home or something and ended up living with people addicted to heroin. And I have the same memory like since seeing it mentioned I can vividly remember reading it and being all shocked, even tho it was so long ago 😂

Reactions: 3
I’ve just remembered after EB when I was a I moved on to flowers in the attic
omg I remember reading this! Loved it! maybe why I love a bleak book 😂
i read the for my OU degree as I’ve read fed it to my A-Z because I fancy reading it again.

Reactions: 4
Had a late night visit to Asda. The book aisle owns my soul 🤣

• Heart
Reactions: 7
I definitely got in to reading when I was young through my mum buying me books 🥹❤

She got me all sorts, Jacqueline Wilson were definitely my favourites for a long time. I had a series that I was obsessed with - helpfully I can’t remember what it was called - but I remember they were all hardbacks and the covers were slightly velvety 😍 which sparked my love for pretty covers 😅

I was also obsessed with the Sleepover Club, and I loved (and still love 🤣) the tv show Charmed and when I was younger there were tonnes of books based on the show.

I wish I still had all the books I had when I was younger

Reactions: 9
As a tween/teen I was also obsessed with the Princess Diaries and Gossip Girl books.

Reactions: 8
I was so fortunate growing up that I was encouraged to read. I still remember going to visit my grandparents for summer holidays and they would have a pile of books they had got me from the local charity shop to read during the summer. ❤ I also have very fond memories of going to the local bookshop as a treat to choose a new book at birthdays. I hammered the library service and still do 😂
---

As a tween/teen I was also obsessed with the Princess Diaries and Gossip Girl books.
I loved the Princess Diaries! funny and easy reading. i remember I got so into the stories and characters, I wonder if I would still like them now.

Reactions: 11
I definitely got in to reading when I was young through my mum buying me books 🥹❤

She got me all sorts, Jacqueline Wilson were definitely my favourites for a long time. I had a series that I was obsessed with - helpfully I can’t remember what it was called - but I remember they were all hardbacks and the covers were slightly velvety 😍 which sparked my love for pretty covers 😅

I was also obsessed with the Sleepover Club, and I loved (and still love 🤣) the tv show Charmed and when I was younger there were tonnes of books based on the show.

I wish I still had all the books I had when I was younger
Bloody love Charmed! Still rewatch it! Forgot about those books too!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.