Books #10 Reading Chats.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
I’ve finished Lessons in Chemistry too. I’ll gather my thoughts and post more in the book club thread.

I’m going to read Gated Prey by Lee Goldberg next. It’s third in a series about a female detective in LA. The last two have been pretty good so looking forward to it.

Reactions: 4
I've got absolutely crippling reader's block, could someone help me out with a few fiction recs?

My favourites and recent loves include:
John Connolly, Liane Moriarty, Juliet McKenna, Oyinkan Braithwaite, JK Rowling under both names, Karin Slaughter, Matt Ruff, Nick Harkaway, Douglas Adams, Jess Kidd.

So I'm not super picky, I just want something I can't put down!

Reactions: 1
I've got absolutely crippling reader's block, could someone help me out with a few fiction recs?

John Connolly, Liane Moriarty, Juliet McKenna, Oyinkan Braithwaite, JK Rowling under both names, Karin Slaughter, Matt Ruff, Nick Harkaway, Douglas Adams, Jess Kidd.

My last couldn’t put down book was Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Read. I know there’s a lot of mixed views on TJR in these threads but might be worth a look if you’ve not read her stuff.

Maybe also Richard Osman’s Thursday Murder Club books? Character driven crime solving plots with a bit of humour thrown in.

• Heart
Reactions: 4

I have quite similar taste to you and love the Steve Cavanagh books (Eddie Flynn series). I also like Lisa Gray (Jessica Shaw series). Could be worth a look?

Reactions: 2

what karin Slaughter book did you read?

i recently read ‘pretty girls’ and i was hooked! Finished it in 2 days

Im about to start Middlesex after some very strong recommendations from lovely readers here!

• Heart
Reactions: 5
INCREDIBLE BOOK!

i really hope you like it, i absolutely love it.
I just speed read Fault Lines so that I could start it!
I think you actually were behind the Fault Lines rec so thank you for that! I think I’d have enjoyed it more had I been a mother, could maybe have related to her story that little bit more maybe, but still a nice little read.

• Heart
I just speed read Fault Lines so that I could start it!
I think you actually were behind the Fault Lines rec so thank you for that! I think I’d have enjoyed it more had I been a mother, could maybe have related to her story that little bit more maybe, but still a nice little read.
i thought that too! it was beautifully written but i didn’t have the emotional connection with it that i maybe would have done if i had children. i was also sort of deflated by the ending but understood why she did it that way.

i LOVED lessons in chemistry - such a wonderful book, hope you’re enjoying your holidays too!

finished it ends with us. solid two stars from me - i both removed and added a star for the godawful dialogue 🤣 had an amazon book delivery yesterday so trying to decide what to start next.
Doh, can't believe I got the book title wrong 🤦 Can I blame the sinus headache I've been fighting off for two days? Just finished it this afternoon whilst my youngest naps and absolutely loved it.

• Heart
Doh, can't believe I got the book title wrong 🤦 Can I blame the sinus headache I've been fighting off for two days? Just finished it this afternoon whilst my youngest naps and absolutely loved it.
i didn’t notice! (and it was close enough 😉)

it was lovely wasn’t it. six-thirty, even though he’s a dog, was my favourite character.

• Haha
i didn’t notice! (and it was close enough 😉)

it was lovely wasn’t it. six-thirty, even though he’s a dog, was my favourite character.
Omg, yes! It was a brilliant example of writing from a non-human perspective.

PS I'm starting my next book, The Babysitter which a lovely poster recommended on here (sorry for forgetting your name!). Need a page turner thriller after some of my more recent heavier reads.

Last edited:
  • Heart
I finished Nothing Else by Louise Beech this morning. It’s such a lovely book, it’s made me want to read This is How We Are Human next.

I’ve also been to the author talk I mentioned that Louise was taking part in at our book festival this weekend.

@ordinaryjelly you were right, she is so lovely in person! Very funny too. Will Carver and a new author called Sarah Sultoon were also there and all three were so likeable.

I’ve not read any of their other books though so I’ve come home, used my audio credit for Louise’s memoir, downloaded three of Will’s books (99p at the mo!) and Sarah’s book The Shot (99p!)

Will spoke about his new book, The Daves Next Door which isn’t out yet but also sounds really good!

Nanny Needed by Georgina Cross

When I tell you this had my head spinning... the best thriller I've read in ages.

• Heart
Reactions: 3
After all the high praise on here about Last Thing to Burn I took advantage of the 99p deal the other day. I’ve completely and utterly absorbed it in only three stints. I went to read for 5 minutes before sleeping last night and ended up doing about 2 hours as I couldn’t put it down till I’d finished. I was totally gripped by it all but especially when the women were trying to escape the cottage, I couldn’t breathe for the tension! Easiest 5/5 this year!

• Heart
Reactions: 8
classic coho! 🤣 the replies to that tweet are outstanding and also true.

(honestly the fact that she makes so much money from writing makes me believe anyone can achieve anything. you go coho! she found her thing and she did it)

• Haha
Reactions: 5
classic coho! 🤣 the replies to that tweet are outstanding and also true.

(honestly the fact that she makes so much money from writing makes me believe anyone can achieve anything. you go coho! she found her thing and she did it)
If people are willing to read it, does it matter 😂 also if it gets people reading who otherwise wouldnt read, Im all for it.

There are plenty of books out there Id never want to read and I assume people feel the same about the books I read.

Reactions: 7
If people are willing to read it, does it matter 😂 also if it gets people reading who otherwise wouldnt read, Im all for it.

There are plenty of books out there Id never want to read and I assume people feel the same about the books I read.
no you’re right - that was a mean post and i blame the amount of medication i’m currently taking for my covid. it was very pretentious and snotty, which is never what i want to be with books.

like you say, it doesn’t matter. people should read what they want, when they want, however they want.

urgh i just read it again and i sound like such a book snob! gonna delete it because i don’t want anyone to feel i’m condescending them.

(the tweet did make me smile when i feel very i’ll though so thank you 🤣💙)

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 6
I think sometimes people just want a really easy and simple read, especially if they want to just switch off from life for a while and not concentrate.

Look at 50 Shades… 👀😂

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.