Books #10 Reading Chats.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Reading the sanatorium by sarah pearse and it's everything i usually enjoy in a book but i came across some awful reviews for it now i dont feel motivated to read it :/ anyone read it and should i perservere?

Reactions: 2
adding to the coho discussion; i find her writing entertaining but annoying, which makes no sense šŸ¤£iā€™ve flown through the few books of hers iā€™ve read but did spend a lot of time grumbling at the little flaws in her style. - quoted from @LaBlonde in the last thread

This is exactly how I feel about her writing! every book Iā€™ve enjoyed and read in one/two sittings but so many little things annoy me. Except ugly love I really hated that book šŸ¤£

Reactions: 6
I really cant add anything else about CoHo.

Easy to read. I fly through them but somehow I still pick faults šŸ˜‚

Reactions: 4
adding to the coho discussion; i find her writing entertaining but annoying, which makes no sense šŸ¤£iā€™ve flown through the few books of hers iā€™ve read but did spend a lot of time grumbling at the little flaws in her style. - quoted from @LaBlonde in the last thread

This is exactly how I feel about her writing! every book Iā€™ve enjoyed and read in one/two sittings but so many little things annoy me. Except ugly love I really hated that book šŸ¤£
iā€™m glad itā€™s not just me! i read verity in a day but i couldnā€™t deal with the narrator being like ā€œwait, did he just say [blank]? but earlier he said [blank]!ā€ yes coho, i know he did, i read it and have a memory. i feel like sheā€™s constantly poking the audience to make sure weā€™re following the plot and that bugs me.

i hated ugly love too šŸ¤£

iā€™m glad itā€™s not just me! i read verity in a day but i couldnā€™t deal with the narrator being like ā€œwait, did he just say [blank]? but earlier he said [blank]!ā€ yes coho, i know he did, i read it and have a memory. i feel like sheā€™s constantly poking the audience to make sure weā€™re following the plot and that bugs me.

i hated ugly love too šŸ¤£
Yeah she defo doesnā€™t trust the reader. I also hate when she does the whole ā€˜she likes (blank)? I love (blank). (blank) is my favourite. I wish everything was (blank)ā€™ šŸ¤£

I'm reading seven husbands of Evelyn Hugo, it's okay so far but it's not really grabbing me but it's a very easy read as and when I decide to pick it up!

Reactions: 5
I'm still reading Crying in H Mart. I like it so far but somehow it isn't 100% grabbing my attention

Reactions: 1
Reading crescent city.

I generally like sarah j mass and her books, but she likes to keep repeating the same words/phrases all the time.

in ACOTAR it was constant ā€˜mate this, mate thatā€™ and now its ā€˜alphaholeā€™.

anyways this isnt gripping me as much as other book series but i always feel like that with her first books in a series.

has anyone else read it?

Reactions: 1
So after 2,5 chapters I DNFā€™d The Other Black Girl. Itā€™s just not pulling me in right now for a variety of reasons.

I bought Bunny & Cloud Cuckoo Land yesterday so hopefully one of those grips me. I think Iā€™m going to start with Bunny.

I love Anthony Doerr but not quite ready for something so involved. Need to have a look on my bookshelf to find some more fluff.

Reactions: 3
Reading crescent city.

I generally like sarah j mass and her books, but she likes to keep repeating the same words/phrases all the time.

in ACOTAR it was constant ā€˜mate this, mate thatā€™ and now its ā€˜alphaholeā€™.

anyways this isnt gripping me as much as other book series but i always feel like that with her first books in a series.

has anyone else read it?
I love SJ maas books but she repeats so many of her phrases! Characters are always brushing imaginary lint off their clothes and every spicy scene mentions ā€œthe apex of her thighsā€šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

• Haha
Reactions: 3
So after 2,5 chapters I DNFā€™d The Other Black Girl. Itā€™s just not pulling me in right now for a variety of reasons.

I bought Bunny & Cloud Cuckoo Land yesterday so hopefully one of those grips me. I think Iā€™m going to start with Bunny.

I love Anthony Doerr but not quite ready for something so involved. Need to have a look on my bookshelf to find some more fluff.
i love anthony doerr too but iā€™ve been putting off cloud cuckoo land for months for exactly the same reason šŸ¤£ i just havenā€™t been in the right mood for it yet!

I love SJ maas books but she repeats so many of her phrases! Characters are always brushing imaginary lint off their clothes and every spicy scene mentions ā€œthe apex of her thighsā€šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
yes exactly, and while i like a good description to set a scene I find she goes too overboard to try and set every little bit of the scene from the curtains to the chairs to the wind..and just drags on, give the reader some credit and they can imagine stuff themselves

Reading crescent city.

has anyone else read it?
Iā€™ve read both of the books in this series so far, they can be a little repetitive but I really enjoyed them.
The second book was a little odd and I much preferred the 1st but I will definitely be continuing with the series when it comes out.

If you like her writing then stick with it as theyā€™re good books and keep you interested once you get past the repetitiveness of the language.
I donā€™t want to spoil anything but what I will say is book 2 is a bit of a trip and has some nice little nuggets in it šŸ˜‰

@LittleBluebird I struggled with The Other Black Girl too. At first I thought it was a satire. Then realised it was meant to be a thriller. But then started to think it was a bit sci-fi?

I do think it gave some excellent examples of what it is like to be a WOC in particular in a very white industry. But the ending fell a little flat with me.

I'm ploughing through The Shelf by Helly Acton. I chose it on Prime Reading as all my holds on Libby have ages to wait. It's hard going as I'm finding the writing pretty poor, but I won't give up....have had too many DNF recently!

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.