Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

pintofwine

Sorry if this is a really long ramble. Long time lurker here with no one else to talk to about books so I hope it’s okay that I share my half year review too? 😊

How many books have you read (if you set yourself a target are you on track?) : 26/60 so slightly under target

Favourite read so far: the kite runner hands down but it’s close with dune and gone girl all of which I finally got round to this year - very aware these 3 books could not be more different

Least favourite read so far: the girls by Lisa Jewell - my boyfriends mum always gives me her books to read and I don’t want to offend her by not accepting but I’m yet to read one that I’ve enjoyed. This was terrible, somehow even worse than The Family Upstairs which I didn’t think was possible

Book that surprised you (can be good or bad) : Heartstopper was just amazing, can’t recommend the series enough. Salmon Fishing in the Yemen was equally as warm and lovely as the film with a different ending I really didn’t see coming. And Malibu Rising. I’ve read seven husbands and Daisy jones this year and whilst I enjoyed one and despised the other I didn’t think I’d give TJR another shot. However, I went in with very low expectations for Malibu Rising and ended up absolutely loving it. I am aware that’s not a popular opinion here.

Book you’re looking forward to read between July-December: The Twyford Code because I loved the appeal and Shuggie Bain. Lurked for a while and seen the mountains of praise for Shuggie.

Anything else? Have you had a lot of 5 star books? Or have you mostly read duds?: mostly 4 stars but I’m a generous reviewer and it doesn’t take much for me to give a book 5 stars and I always fall victim to overrating books the second I finish them too. Also a special mention for Pride which is the only non-fiction book I’ve read so far this year. Its the story of my football team and if it wasn’t for the fact that all the shit that happened happened, you’d never believe it was true!
Sorry this is so long but I’ve gained so many recommendations from this thread because of months of lurking and you’re all far better at recommending good books than bookstagram and booktok are!!!!!! (Whoever mentioned Remains of the Day - thank you!! It was one of my holiday reads and it was phenomenal

• Heart
Reactions: 21

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
I think most of you know I have been in hospital for over a year. On Tuesday I get to go to the library, despite having a tbr pile here that is obscene I am ridiculously excited about this trip out.

But what books should I get? Recommend me some. I'll read anything but fantasy and sickly romances.

• Heart
Reactions: 21

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
I love how we read the same books and all take something different from it. About the only thread on here where you can have a different opinion and it doesn't end in a 23 page binfest.

I am rereading some Phillipa Gregory, easy comforting reads as I have lost my mojo. I did a big wob order taking advantage of their buy 3 get one free deal. So four books for £10. Going back to my buying books and reading books being two entirely different pastimes.

• Heart
Reactions: 18

ordinaryjelly

VIP Member
I'm on a true crime-ish kick. I have read The Secret Prison Governor by Anonymous and The Governor by Vanessa Frake this week. Both fascinating insights into life in some of the securest (is that a word?!) prisons with some of the worst criminals. I couldn't put either of them down.

i went to the library this week after 13 months in hospital and it was brilliant, such a balm to my broken soul. I got 9 books out, most of which I had never heard of but it was fun to browse and just pick books that looked good. Going there really cheered me up and boosted my spirits. I am also now in an area that has a much more extensive library service compared to my home one. And you can reserve books for free, so it is a win win for me.

• Heart

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Half Year Review

How many books have you read (if you set yourself a target are you on track?) :

Favourite read so far:

Least favourite read so far:

Book that surprised you (can be good or bad) :

Book youre looking forward to read between July-December:

Anything else? Have you had a lot of 5 star books? Or have you mostly read duds?:

• Heart

strawb

VIP Member
Half Year Review

How many books have you read (if you set yourself a target are you on track?): 8 and i had a target of 10! i know it sounds pathetic compared to all your numbers but i'm just getting back into reading now.

Favourite read so far: where the crawdads sing

Least favourite read so far: malibu rising

Book that surprised you (can be good or bad): the seven husbands of evelyn hugo, expected a trend book but ended up thoroughly enjoying it

Book you're looking forward to read between July-December: it ends with us

Anything else? Have you had a lot of 5 star books? Or have you mostly read duds?: i've enjoyed all of them! just generally proud of myself for taking the time to read again! 😊

• Heart
Reactions: 17

ToxicPony

Chatty Member
I didn't like Thursday Murder Club, but I generally dislike the cosy crime/mystery genre. Something about random people interfering in police investigations really irritates me 🤣

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 16

StephenTJackson

VIP Member
Someone please stop me buying books. Why can't my brain comprehend that it's a better idea to read the books I already have instead of buying more books?

• Haha
Reactions: 15

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Just me who has had a great June? 🙈 im snowed under at work though and its eating into my reading time. How rude.

I thought we could have a little half year discussion over the next few days since we're at the half way mark.

Reactions: 13

slugella

VIP Member
I think there must be something in the air cos I’m in a bit of a slump too. Currently reading Firekeeper’s Daughter and I’m really enjoying it but I can’t be bothered to pick my book up and it feels like it’s taking an age to get through. I know that is a bit of a contradiction 😂
I just read this and really enjoyed it! It was a long one though which usually puts me off but I did get lost in this story, loved the insight into Indigenous culture. Let me know what you think when you finish :)

I'm reading The Lamplighters at the moment , enjoying it so far and am intrigued but don't think it will be a favourite.

Half year review! Thanks @Caffeine Fiend looking forward to reading all of yours :)

How many books have you read (if you set yourself a target are you on track?) : 25, target is 50 so am on track

Favourite read so far: The Bear and the Nightingale and Firekeepers Daughter (cheating and choosing 2 😂 )

Least favourite read so far: The Mars Room

Book that surprised you (can be good or bad) : Room - was unsure as is from POV of a child but was really well done! And The Bear and the Nightingale as don't usually read fantasy.

Book youre looking forward to read between July-December: THE BEARTOWN 3RD IN THE SERIES! So so excited and it better be mostly about Benji 🥰

Anything else? Have you had a lot of 5 star books? Or have you mostly read duds?: Not too many duds but would say the majority of my reads have been good but average so far.

Last edited:
  • Heart

Elle

VIP Member
Finished So Happy for You by Celia Laskey last night. Really enjoyed it. Love a queer main character.

Thinking I'll read Beth O'Leary's The Road Trip next as I want a light, quick one and enjoyed The Flat Share.

Also picked up Small Pleasures by Claire Chambers today, which has been on my radar for a while.

✨The reading update nobody asked for ✨

SaintLeo

VIP Member
How many books have you read (if you set yourself a target are you on track?) : I aways have 50 as a target on Goodreads but just for the sake of putting something in there really! Currently on 31 so ahead of that.

Favourite read so far: This Is How We Are Human (thanks to everyone here for bumping it up my TBR!) and The Paper Palace.

Least favourite read so far: Mrs March (serves me right for buying something based on FB ads!) and The Four Winds (thought I’d love it, totally didn’t)

Book that surprised you (can be good or bad) : The Stranding by Kate Sawyer. Not really sure why I bought this because the synopsis is totally not my kind of thing - two people surviving in a post apocalyptic world - but I loved it and it’s stuck with me.

Book youre looking forward to read between July-December: No one thing in particular but I think I’m going to revisit a couple of old favourite classics, maybe Gatsby or To Kill A Mockingbird. Also going to worry less about ploughing through my many unread Kindle books and just read what takes my fancy at the time.

Anything else? Have you had a lot of 5 star books? Or have you mostly read duds?: Mixed. A couple of really rubbish books, a couple of really great ones, quite a few just average!

• Heart
Reactions: 12

vanilla cupcakes

VIP Member
Half Year Review

How many books have you read (if you set yourself a target are you on track?) : 22, target is 50 so 3 off track

Favourite read so far: The one hundred years of Lenni and Margot by Marianne Cronin

Least favourite read so far: Ugly love by Colleen Hoover

Book that surprised you (can be good or bad) : Daisy Jones and the six, was so hyped up I expected to be underwhelmed but I loved it

Book youre looking forward to read between July-December: Main two I want to get through are This is how we are human by Louise Beech and Know my name by Chanel Miller

Anything else? Have you had a lot of 5 star books? Or have you mostly read duds?: Average rating of 3.75. Had 8 that I rated between 4.5-5 stars and only had about 2 duds

• Heart

Caffeine Fiend

VIP Member
Finished Never Let Me Go. I liked the style of writing but its just v bleak isnt it. I finished it whilst eating lunch and the thought and chat of all the 'donations' actually put me off eating and Im not squeamish usually.

Its actually the first Ishiguro book Ive read and I think I would be open to reading more.

Its been 13 days since I bought a Kindle book :eek: and in that time Ive read 3 off my kindle TBR so numbers are coming down.

Did a random number generator, it was number 21 so next up is Colleen Hoover - Regretting You.

Currently listening to Paper Aeroplanes by Dawn O Porter on audible. Its not grabbing me. I did buy 4 audio books the other day though, those sales call to me and then I had credits to use.

The Cows - Dawn O Porter
Normal People - Sally Rooney (shoot me now, I did like this and figure itl be a comfort listen for me)
Youre the Only One Ive Told: The Stories Behind Abortion
The School for Good Mothers - Jessamine Chan.

Carapop

VIP Member
Half Year Review
How many books have you read (if you set yourself a target are you on track?) : 28 so far. No challenge!

Favourite read so far: Fates and Furies
“Between his skin and hers, there was the smallest of spaces, barely enough for air, for this slick of sweat now chilling. Even still, a third person, their marriage, had slid in.”

Least favourite read so far: Available. She was just very very annoying.

Book that surprised you (can be good or bad) : 138 dates. It was almost my least favourite but I at least appreciated the insight into the tech start up world. The author was just ridiculously naive. and again very very annoying.

Book youre looking forward to read between July-December: early morning riser 😂

Anything else? Have you had a lot of 5 star books? Or have you mostly read duds?: a lot of 3 stars. It’s been a pretty disappointing six months book wise. Mostly forgettable. Will have to make better choices in second half of year!

• Heart