Books #10 Reading Chats.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Sped read The Babysitter to finish it before OH brought the kids home after work 🤣 Thank you again to whoever recommended it as I was completely hooked. Although do check the TW regarding harm to children as I found certain sections quite hard to read.

Now turning my attention to my stack of library books. My local authority has got rid of fines for books which is great but it does mean I'm a lot slower at reading them than I'd like. Took Patrick Gale's new one, Mother's Boy, off the shelf. Hoping to get some downtime before bed to get started on that. Back in the office tomorrow as well so some more reading time on my lunch break as well 👍

Reactions: 4

One for the Love Hypothesis readers.
i love how we probably all did the same thing 🤣

also i was today years old when i learnt the love hypothesis is actually star wars fan fiction so the jedi magic reference here is making me 🤣

Reactions: 1
I started reading The Stillwater Girls by Minka Kent in the garden yesterday and devoured the whole thing in one go. It wasn’t the best book ever but a really pacy thriller that kept me turning the pages.

I’ve started My Sweet Girl by Amanda Jayatissa but it’s not sucked me in quite as quickly.

Reactions: 2
I just finished Middlesex. Thank you for all who recommended! A rather wonderful book, and quite the epic tale. Solid 4*. I don’t know what it was missing but it didn’t quite scratch the itch. Sorrow & Bliss remains my fav this year so far.

think I’ll start Anthropocene Reviewed. I stumbled across the podcast by accident and it’s beautiful.

• Heart
One Italian Summer by Rebecca Serle down to 99p for kindle. I read In Five Years after seeing it being mentioned on here and really enjoyed it 🙂

Reactions: 6
How to Kill Your Family was great. Really clever and fun. Despite the popularity I did see a fair few reviews slating it on Goodreads. What are peoples' thoughts here?

Have started Blood Orange now, which I've been meaning to read for a while. So far so good.

How to Kill Your Family was great. Really clever and fun. Despite the popularity I did see a fair few reviews slating it on Goodreads. What are peoples' thoughts here?
i enjoyed it and thought it was well-written (and generally a good read!) - but i found it very hard to engage with the narrator (imo the author didn’t quite pull off what she was trying to do with writing a sociopath who isn’t actually aware she’s a sociopath) and it made it impossible to really care about anyone. i thought the ending was a little lazy too, though i did get the point of it i was sad we missed out on what the whole book had been leading up to.

i’m just about to finish one last stop which has been a very sweet read but i haven’t been able to quite buy into the central relationship, which is never great in a romance novel. it mostly takes part on a train (for spoilery reasons!) and there’s a lot of PDA which had me yelling you’re on a train! a subway train! in new york! eeeww! 🤣 not a patch on red, white and royal blue.

Has anyone listened to some good audiobooks recently? I've got some Audible credits to burn! I'm in the mood for some sprawling family sagas. I have The Lincoln Highway, Homegoing, Still Life and Great Circle on my wishlist...

I just finished Middlesex. Thank you for all who recommended! A rather wonderful book, and quite the epic tale. Solid 4*. I don’t know what it was missing but it didn’t quite scratch the itch. Sorrow & Bliss remains my fav this year so far.

think I’ll start Anthropocene Reviewed. I stumbled across the podcast by accident and it’s beautiful.
Who is Middlesex by? Keep seeing it referenced here but I can’t find it to see what it’s about 🤦🏼‍♀️

I tried, I really tried, but I think if I had continued with My Year of Rest and Relaxation I would have stopped reading for a year o_O Ditching it for another 99p read that came out this week. The Trip by Rebecca Ley.

I tried, I really tried, but I think if I had continued with My Year of Rest and Relaxation I would have stopped reading for a year o_O Ditching it for another 99p read that came out this week. The Trip by Rebecca Ley.
my year of rest and relaxation is beyond pretentious so i don’t blame you 🤣 i didn’t hate it but the lead character was absolutely insufferable. i read that the author meant for it to be satire but that absolutely didn’t come across. i have no clue how it seems to be having a resurgence on booktok/instagram right now, has it been in a tv show or something?

This caught my eye this morning. Im trying to be more cautious before blindly buying 99p deals. Has anyone read it? Louise Beech - The Mountain in my Shoe.

The Mountain in my Shoe Amazon product

Has anyone listened to some good audiobooks recently? I've got some Audible credits to burn! I'm in the mood for some sprawling family sagas. I have The Lincoln Highway, Homegoing, Still Life and Great Circle on my wishlist...
The Lincoln Highway is an excellent book, but it is ginormous, a real door stopper of a book.

This caught my eye this morning. Im trying to be more cautious before blindly buying 99p deals. Has anyone read it? Louise Beech - The Mountain in my Shoe.

Yes, it is a beautiful book. And it will break your heart in that way Louise Beech does so gently. It is probably not quite as good as TIHWAH but it is a worthy read. Go for it!

Well I appear to be collecting her books at the moment so I think it’s absolutely necessary to buy this.

Currently listening to her memoir, Daffodils and currently reading TIHWAH. Really loving both.

my year of rest and relaxation is beyond pretentious so i don’t blame you 🤣 i didn’t hate it but the lead character was absolutely insufferable. i read that the author meant for it to be satire but that absolutely didn’t come across. i have no clue how it seems to be having a resurgence on booktok/instagram right now, has it been in a tv show or something?
I hate-read it a few years ago. You know when you’re not enjoying a book and willing it to be over but you won’t give it the satisfaction of being abandoned!? It wasn’t uninteresting a premise but was twice as long as it needed to be.

I’ve just realised why I was so confused with Middlesex. It wasn’t at all what I was expecting. But that’s because I was expecting Middlemarch. Slightly different a book there, Carapop.

• Haha

I don’t know if you know this, but I’ve found that when I choose to delete something from my library, Amazon offers a refund sometimes depending on either how long ago I bought it or how much I’ve read. I got a refund on My Year of Rest and Relaxation and I’d bought that at 99p on 2nd July. But the fact that I didn’t make it more than 20 pages in is probably what triggered the refund offer.

• Wow
Reactions: 3
Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.