Books #10 Reading Chats.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
no you’re right - that was a mean post and i blame the amount of medication i’m currently taking for my covid. it was very pretentious and snotty, which is never what i want to be with books.

like you say, it doesn’t matter. people should read what they want, when they want, however they want.

urgh i just read it again and i sound like such a book snob! gonna delete it because i don’t want anyone to feel i’m condescending them.
Oh wow no I didnt take it like that at all please dont worry 🙈 its funny 🤷‍♀️ Im sorry but writing about huge balls is hilarious 😂

And I read a lot of smut, still find it funny.

Sorry to hear you have Covid. Everyone seems to have it atm and theyre really ill with it too :(

On another note I finished All The Bright Places this morning. I dont know why I do this to myself. Finch 🥺🥺

As someone who suffers from poor mental health I related so much to poor Finch. I was heartbroken that he completed suicide but also part of me felt relief for him and I feel like it makes me a horrid person. He had very little inner peace whilst alive.

Definitely a book that will stay with me for a long time. I havent rated it yet, it could be a 5 star from me but Im going to wait to digest it a bit more before I do.

I know its a YA book but I think it would make a great syllabus read for high school children. So much to discuss and dissect.

• Heart
Reactions: 9
Oh wow no I didnt take it like that at all please dont worry 🙈 its funny 🤷‍♀️ Im sorry but writing about huge balls is hilarious 😂

Sorry to hear you have Covid. Everyone seems to have it atm and theyre really ill with it too :(

On another note I finished All The Bright Places this morning. I dont know why I do this to myself. Finch 🥺🥺

As someone who suffers from poor mental health I related so much to poor Finch. I was heartbroken that he completed suicide but also part of my felt relief for him and I feel like it makes me a horrid person. He had very little inner peace whilst alive.

Definitely a book that will stay with me for a long time. I havent rated it yet, it could be a 5 star from me but Im going to wait to digest it a bit more before I do.

I know its a YA book but I think it would make a great syllabus read for high school children. So much to discuss and dissect.
nah, it’s okay, it was a little snooty of me 🤣 and i’m alright, just full of paracetamol and lucozade right now 🤦🏼‍♀️

i liked all the bright places very very much, and agree that it would be a great discussion read for teenagers.

i remember actually feeling “impressed” (for want of a better word!) that the author went through with that. i think it would have been “easy” to have his time with violet give him a reason to live etc but i give full credit that she didn’t do that. like you said, he had so little inner peace that i did feel a sense of relief for him that, in the end, he took control of his own life. it was a very brave way to conclude the book imo, but a very valid way because it gave full credit to the strength of his emotions and how much he was struggling. i’m probably not making much sense this is the lucozade talking 🤣[/QUOTE]

Reactions: 2
nah, it’s okay, it was a little snooty of me 🤣 and i’m alright, just full of paracetamol and lucozade right now 🤦🏼‍♀️

i liked all the bright places very very much, and agree that it would be a great discussion read for teenagers.

i remember actually feeling “impressed” (for want of a better word!) that the author went through with that. i think it would have been “easy” to have his time with violet give him a reason to live etc but i give full credit that she didn’t do that. like you said, he had so little inner peace that i did feel a sense of relief for him that, in the end, he took control of his own life. it was a very brave way to conclude the book imo, but a very valid way because it gave full credit to the strength of his emotions and how much he was struggling. i’m probably not making much sense this is the lucozade talking 🤣
[/QUOTE]

The notes at the end say the author loved a boy like Finch 😭 so I suppose she has written the book mirroring real life which is very sad.

I think sometimes people just want a really easy and simple read, especially if they want to just switch off from life for a while and not concentrate.

Look at 50 Shades… 👀😂
Oh I read a lot of what others would deem rubbish 😆 I find those romance books so easy to get through.

Ive read Credence by Penelope Douglas and I think thats all that needs to be said. I feel like my eye balls are still scarred from that 😳

I absolutely entirely believe that snobbery has no place in enjoyment. There are no guilty pleasures.

But, personally, I care more about writing than story and plot. It’s why I read. I love beautiful prose. I want language to move me. In the same way that I love the songs that make me feel something. The films that make me think. For mindless entertainment I turn to Netflix, not books.

I like something warm and cosy and cute as much as the next person (Kiss Quotient anyone?) and I devoured Lace last year (I highly recommend for anyone in search of a good beach read!). But, there are some books I have tried and failed to get through because the standard of writing was so poor. It made me uncomfortable and almost angry. It’s as easy read a Marian Keyes who is just as accessible but I think more deserving of a fan base.

Am I being a snob?

• Heart
Reactions: 3
Interestingly, at the author talk yesterday they all said they’d sooner have a 1* review than a 3* review because at least then they’ve managed to evoke some kind of emotion out of a person rather than just nothing at all. Makes sense!

Reactions: 10
IMO you can definitely think that all reading is worthwhile whilst also laughing at CoHo’s big baby balls, it doesn’t make you a snob to do so

• Heart
I absolutely entirely believe that snobbery has no place in enjoyment. There are no guilty pleasures.

But, personally, I care more about writing than story and plot. It’s why I read. I love beautiful prose. I want language to move me. In the same way that I love the songs that make me feel something. The films that make me think. For mindless entertainment I turn to Netflix, not books.

I like something warm and cosy and cute as much as the next person (Kiss Quotient anyone?) and I devoured Lace last year (I highly recommend for anyone in search of a good beach read!). But, there are some books I have tried and failed to get through because the standard of writing was so poor. It made me uncomfortable and almost angry. It’s as easy read a Marian Keyes who is just as accessible but I think more deserving of a fan base.

Am I being a snob?
it’s a tough one.

i have a creative writing degree so i guess i’m super critical of writing style sometimes and not as forgiving of little quirks or poor choices - purely because i had writing methods drummed into me for three years 🤣

i also have always read fan fiction alongside books, the vast majority of which is gloriously written by people just doing it as a hobby in their spare times. so i do get very impatient when i read published books and know i’ve seen someone on the internet do it for free better. that’s mean though 🤦🏼‍♀️ it still makes me slightly mad that 50 shades is the most successful published fanfic when there is SO MUCH wonderful stuff there.

marian keyes is a good one to bring up actually because she writes in a genre that is often looked down upon but is a genuinely outstanding author with a great eye for observational details. she doesn’t always get the credit she deserves for the quality of her writing.

i don’t know if there’s a combination of uni or if it’s just general taste but reading is my absolute favourite thing. sitting down with a book is one of life’s joys and when that book is objectively not good i do get frustrated.

again, i should not be typing on this much lucozade.

Interestingly, at the author talk yesterday they all said they’d sooner have a 1* review than a 3* review because at least then they’ve managed to evoke some kind of emotion out of a person rather than just nothing at all. Makes sense!
i’ve read before that a 3 star review is every author’s nightmare because it’s just “meh” and middle of the road. it does make sense that you’d rather a 1 star review because a lot of 1 star reviews are incredibly detailed and outline what they didn’t like. a 3 star is just “it was fine”.

IMO you can definitely think that all reading is worthwhile whilst also laughing at CoHo’s big baby balls, it doesn’t make you a snob to do so
coho’s big baby balls would be a great band name.

• Heart
Yes I absolutely see the sense in this! 3 star is just fine but forgettable. It’s like with dating. We all love a great date and we at least get a good story out of a terrible date, it’s all the meh in between that’s the total waste of time! And look how much airtime we give to the awful. All publicity is good, right?!

We all read for different reasons and I dont think there is any place to be looking down at books. If you dont like them, don't read them.

Im not a DNF-er though. If I start it 99% of the time I will finish it.

Like @Smca53 says, you can still laugh at baby balls.

I've no time for book snobbery and all it does it put people off speaking about what they like or may put people off reading because they believe what they like isnt worth while.

There are loads of books I have strong feelings about but a quick look on Good Reads or Amazon shows there are people out there who'l give my 5 star books 1 star and vice versa. If a book has been published by a publishing house its usually because they know it will appeal to someone.

We all mostly read for pleasure (or total emotional annihilation if youre me) and that looks different for everyone. At certain times in life I need a candyfloss book, easy to read, sweet with not much substance and when its that type of book I dont critique the writing style or quality because I just need escape. Other times I have the mental and brain capacity to read something more deep and I do expect the editing to be good and the quality to be better.

• Heart
it’s a tough one.

i have a creative writing degree so i guess i’m super critical of writing style sometimes and not as forgiving of little quirks or poor choices - purely because i had writing methods drummed into me for three years 🤣

i also have always read fan fiction alongside books, the vast majority of which is gloriously written by people just doing it as a hobby in their spare times. so i do get very impatient when i read published books and know i’ve seen someone on the internet do it for free better. that’s mean though 🤦🏼‍♀️ it still makes me slightly mad that 50 shades is the most successful published fanfic when there is SO MUCH wonderful stuff there.

marian keyes is a good one to bring up actually because she writes in a genre that is often looked down upon but is a genuinely outstanding author with a great eye for observational details. she doesn’t always get the credit she deserves for the quality of her writing.

i don’t know if there’s a combination of uni or if it’s just general taste but reading is my absolute favourite thing. sitting down with a book is one of life’s joys and when that book is objectively not good i do get frustrated.

again, i should not be typing on this much lucozade.

i’ve read before that a 3 star review is every author’s nightmare because it’s just “meh” and middle of the road. it does make sense that you’d rather a 1 star review because a lot of 1 star reviews are incredibly detailed and outline what they didn’t like. a 3 star is just “it was fine”.

coho’s big baby balls would be a great band name.
Ahaha. I think you are just acknowledging how nuanced it all is. And it’s impossible to write a hard and fast rule. We don’t want to shame any reader but we also want to call out the writers who’ve achieved success without the talent of others left in their wake. There’s a lot of luck involved I guess. And I just have such a soft spot for Keyes. As a person as well as her writing. She’s just such a dote 🥰

We all read for different reasons and I dont think there is any place to be looking down at books. If you dont like them, don't read them.

Im not a DNF-er though. If I start it 99% of the time I will finish it.

Like @Smca53 says, you can still laugh at baby balls.

I've no time for book snobbery and all it does it put people off speaking about what they like or may put people off reading because they believe what they like isnt worth while.

There are loads of books I have strong feelings about but a quick look on Good Reads or Amazon shows there are people out there who'l give my 5 star books 1 star and vice versa. If a book has been published by a publishing house its usually because they know it will appeal to someone.
I agree with all of this! And I love how respectful and welcoming everyone here is. It’s amazing how wildly our tastes can diverge. It does make me wonder if there is such a thing as objectively good. Like. It might be technically good in that it ticks all the boxes but anything in the creative sphere is going to be divisive and wide open to subjectivity!

Emotional annihilation! Oh that made me laugh. And relate ❤

Last edited:
  • Heart
Well I didn’t do as much reading on holiday as I would I have liked! I spent most of it sunbathing, swimming and drinking spritz! 🤣

Anyway, I finished Lenni and Margot, on a full flight, by myself, after being delayed, at night and I think that was an error 😂😂 I literally had to stop at one point and put it away or I would have made a spectacle out of myself.

I feel like I have so many TBR I don’t know what to choose! I’m really fancying Red, White and Royal Blue after reading it on here, I feel like something light and fluffy to read in the sun!!

I have a love hate relationship with CoHo….. her books are what I call tit-but-good. I fly through them but they are ridiculous 🤣 The character names actually infuriate me, I can’t take them seriously sometimes! I stopped reading reminders of him, I’m sure someone had a stupid name and I honestly think it put me off the book 🤣🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 11
I feel like I have so many TBR I don’t know what to choose! I’m really fancying Red, White and Royal Blue after reading it on here, I feel like something light and fluffy to read in the sun!!
red, white and royal blue is the perfect book to read in the sun imo. it’s lovely!

i’m trying to select something light and fluffy too, in my covid-addled state, and you reminded me that i have casey mcquinston’s second book (one last stop) so i might go with that 💙

Last edited:
Reactions: 1
That big balled baby really made me snort out loud 😂 I'm not a book snob by any means but at what point do you write something like that 😂😂😂😂 Her nan must've looked at a baby once and said "blimey, he's got big balls doesn't he?" and she's waited all these years to put it in a book

• Haha
Reactions: 7
Went to Waterstones today. I actually went to get Every Summer After but I couldnt find it?!? Wasnt on any of the tables or in the alphabetical shelves. I wonder if it was sold out. Its a huge 5 story store and it was hot and sweaty so I had little patience to look.

I ended up buying

Acts Of Service - Lillian Fishman (this is a newish release)
Writers & Lovers - Lily King.

Im 1 stamp away from £10 off too.

• Heart
Reactions: 5
Went to Waterstones today. I actually went to get Every Summer After but I couldnt find it?!? Wasnt on any of the tables or in the alphabetical shelves. I wonder if it was sold out. Its a huge 5 story store and it was hot and sweaty so I had little patience to look.

I ended up buying

Acts Of Service - Lillian Fishman (this is a newish release)
Writers & Lovers - Lily King.

Im 1 stamp away from £10 off too.
oh i hope you like writers & lovers! i loved it 💙

i love those stamps - the satisfaction of knowing that you’re only one away from the reward is 👌🏻

got two books on amazon on a complete whim after seeing them on the waterstones insta - “briefly, a delicious life” by nell stevens and “that green eyed girl” by julie owen moylan. they both sound really interesting so looking forward to getting a little book parcel in my isolation!

Reactions: 1
oh i hope you like writers & lovers! i loved it 💙

i love those stamps - the satisfaction of knowing that you’re only one away from the reward is 👌🏻

got two books on amazon on a complete whim after seeing them on the waterstones insta - “briefly, a delicious life” by nell stevens and “that green eyed girl” by julie owen moylan. they both sound really interesting so looking forward to getting a little book parcel in my isolation!
Isnt it the best. I will be eager to get it now too.

Im off to look at those now, I have to spend £10 on kindle books now to get my £5 credit.. 👀

Reactions: 4

As someone who suffers from poor mental health I related so much to poor Finch. I was heartbroken that he completed suicide but also part of me felt relief for him and I feel like it makes me a horrid person. He had very little inner peace whilst alive.

There’s a film adaption on Netflix of All the Bright Places incase you didn’t know x

• Heart
There’s a film adaption on Netflix of All the Bright Places incase you didn’t know x
Someone mentioned it a few pages back. I will check it out.

I started It Ends At Midnight, the third book written by Harriet Tyce last night.

The main character is a lawyer/solicitor AGAIN. I get she is writing from a place she knows but I dont think Id read the 4th book if its the same.

I started It Ends At Midnight, the third book written by Harriet Tyce last night.

The main character is a lawyer/solicitor AGAIN. I get she is writing from a place she knows but I dont think Id read the 4th book if its the same.
I got this the other day, hope it’s good! I really liked Blood Orange but didn’t think much of her second book.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.