Books #10 Reading Chats.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
Didn’t go for Six of Crows in the end- have stayed the house in the cerulean sea instead as heard very good things!! Also downloaded 2 99p purchases onto my kindle today- the Taylor Jenkins Reid one and Once Upon a broken heart as I’m getting into more fantasy books now
Once upon a broken heart has a sequel coming out this year I believe if not next (it’s a duology)
Apparently it helps if you’ve read Caraval as theirs characters and some back story from that book to give some context but it’s not a pre requisite.
I have them but haven’t started either yet, so I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts when you finally do, happy reading 🙂

Reactions: 2
Once upon a broken heart has a sequel coming out this year I believe if not next (it’s a duology)
Apparently it helps if you’ve read Caraval as theirs characters and some back story from that book to give some context but it’s not a pre requisite.
I have them but haven’t started either yet, so I’ll be interested to hear your thoughts when you finally do, happy reading 🙂
Sorry to jump in. I had read the caraval series and once upon a broken heart.

I didn't realise they were linked until part way through there were some references and I was like ohhhhhh.

For what it's worth I much preferred caraval and legendary to finale and OUBH

I
trying to read ‘beautiful world, where are you’ by Sally Rooney which was a birthday present but my godddd I don’t like her writing style at all. I got though normal people because I loved the series but I just can’t get into this. Anyone read it? Is it worth sticking with? I hate not finishing a book!
I’ve only ever read Normal People of hers and that was more than enough. A rare case of the tv series being way better than the book! I really don’t get the hype around her. Actually come to think of it I’ve got Conversations With Friends on my Kindle (bought before I read NP!) and I’m never going to read it. One off the TBR pile with no effort at all!

• Heart
Reactions: 3
@Caffeine Fiend can you stop being so good at book recommendations pls. Just bought This is How we are Human and One True Loves on kindle.

Had never heard of This is How we are Human and WOW it looks amazing. As for my new TJR, it was only a matter of time as I plan to read everything of hers!

Reactions: 5
@Caffeine Fiend can you stop being so good at book recommendations pls. Just bought This is How we are Human and One True Loves on kindle.

Had never heard of This is How we are Human and WOW it looks amazing. As for my new TJR, it was only a matter of time as I plan to read everything of hers!
In my defence, this was never my suggestion. I think it was @ordinaryjelly who first brought it up on these threads and then lots of others read it and recommended it.

Im just the 99p offer messenger. I wake up early so I check amazon whilst I have my coffee. 🙊

• Heart
Reactions: 10
Sorry to jump in. I had read the caraval series and once upon a broken heart.

I didn't realise they were linked until part way through there were some references and I was like ohhhhhh.

For what it's worth I much preferred caraval and legendary to finale and OUBH
Please don’t apologise, thank you for jumping in I like to hear opinions on these things and if you’ve read it then it’s gonna help me 😌

I wasn’t even aware of the connection until I watched booktube and it was discussed, I brought Caraval when it came out and just haven’t got around to reading it then I brought OUABH on a whim as I liked the premise of it before I heard they were loosely connected.

The channel I watched actually had a similar opinion, she said book 1 was really good and the other 2 she wasn’t as fussed about either.
Her opinion was you could easily get away with reading Caraval as a stand-alone and not a trilogy and not miss out on anything.
That’s when she dropped the bombshell that they was connected within the same world essentially.

In your opinion do you think Caraval could’ve been a stand alone and could I read OUABH without reading Caraval 1st?
or would you recommend I read Caraval then go onto OUABH just to understand the world etc?

Reactions: 1
Please don’t apologise, thank you for jumping in I like to hear opinions on these things and if you’ve read it then it’s gonna help me 😌

I wasn’t even aware of the connection until I watched booktube and it was discussed, I brought Caraval when it came out and just haven’t got around to reading it then I brought OUABH on a whim as I liked the premise of it before I heard they were loosely connected.

The channel I watched actually had a similar opinion, she said book 1 was really good and the other 2 she wasn’t as fussed about either.
Her opinion was you could easily get away with reading Caraval as a stand-alone and not a trilogy and not miss out on anything.
That’s when she dropped the bombshell that they was connected within the same world essentially.

In your opinion do you think Caraval could’ve been a stand alone and could I read OUABH without reading Caraval 1st?
or would you recommend I read Caraval then go onto OUABH just to understand the world etc?
I would definitely say you could read Caraval as a standalone, but then you will probably want to read the second 😅 but they do get progressively more boring haha

OUABH is so loosely linked you can definitely read it on its own. It was about 60% through there was a one line reference to something that happens in Finale and I was like ooohhh that's clever, but that is it!

just finished ‘the paper palace’- didnt get to join the book club when it was being read.

i really liked it, took a good while to get into it but i love reading books that go from childhood to adult, i feel you get a really good feel of what the character is about.

4 ⭐ From me, my only complaint is the last chapter felt a bit meh after all that..

Reactions: 10
I would definitely say you could read Caraval as a standalone, but then you will probably want to read the second 😅 but they do get progressively more boring haha

OUABH is so loosely linked you can definitely read it on its own. It was about 60% through there was a one line reference to something that happens in Finale and I was like ooohhh that's clever, but that is it!
Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it.
I made a mental decision this year if I’m not enjoying a book and I’ve genuinely given it a good go then I’m DNFing it.

If Caraval can be read as a stand-alone then I’ll probably just do that if the others aren’t worth reading, you’re the second person I’ve heard this from now so I’ll consider that a done deal.
I don’t want to invest time in them just to DNF them if they’re not great.

Thanks for the heads up on the connection, I genuinely thought from the way it was explained on the vid reviews that I watched that I would have to read 1 to understand the references.
You’ve saved me a lot of time so thanks 😊

just finished ‘the paper palace’- didnt get to join the book club when it was being read.

i really liked it, took a good while to get into it but i love reading books that go from childhood to adult, i feel you get a really good feel of what the character is about.

4 ⭐ From me, my only complaint is the last chapter felt a bit meh after all that..
i read this last week and it was heading to five stars from me but, agreed, that last chapter!
so, after all that, we didn’t know for definite who she chose? were we meant to assume it was jonas based on her leaving her wedding ring?! i also thought the conversation between her and peter was a complete let-down. we needed at least another chapter for closure, i hate when books do that!

still sailing through the glory that is it ends with us 🤣 lily bloom’s middle name is blossom and she has opened, wait for it, a flower shop. what is happening. also, maybe a pet peeve of mine, but i hate when books have a character read a journal and the entries are pages long and have exact dialogue perfectly recorded. that’s not how people write in journals! use flashbacks instead!

• Haha
Reactions: 4
Blasted through Where There's A Will - Beth Corby today.

Really enjoyed it. Another easy read. An adventure of finding the joys of life, adventure, love and most of all, being brave.

I just didn't want to put it down. Flew through it so effortlessly.

• Heart
I just spotted the the last book in the twisted series is out on kindle and only £4.99 so I bought it and started it straight away 😂 I have no control send help

• Haha
i read this last week and it was heading to five stars from me but, agreed, that last chapter!
so, after all that, we didn’t know for definite who she chose? were we meant to assume it was jonas based on her leaving her wedding ring?! i also thought the conversation between her and peter was a complete let-down. we needed at least another chapter for closure, i hate when books do that!

!
yes i assume it meant Jonas as she took off her wedding ring. I admit i kind of fast read the last chapter as i didnt realise it was the last chapter 🤣 for a second I thought she had killed herself but re-reading i will go with jonas

This Is How We Are Human is a brilliant, brilliant book. You are in for a treat. I wish I could go back and reread it for the first time. Sebastian. 💕

• Heart
Reactions: 7
i am still simultaneously liking it ends with us and wanting to bang my head against a wall while reading it 🤣 i can only respect colleen hoover at this point, wow.

her writing style is unique, like i can’t even describe it. it’s bad but then every so often there’ll be something amazing and i’ll be like “……. colleen?!” though i have never read an author who repeats information like she does.

• Haha
I just spotted the the last book in the twisted series is out on kindle and only £4.99 so I bought it and started it straight away 😂 I have no control send help
Ive only read the first one, got the others on my wishlist to see if they either drop into kindle unlimited or cheaper than £4.99.

I think I’ve only read one, maybe two, Colleen Hoover books before, and wasn’t keen, but I’ve just finished Verity and I have to say it did keep me totally engrossed the whole way through. 4/5 only because I knew what the twist was going to be so it wasn’t a huge shock. Might give some of her other stuff a go… I only really picked that one up because of some rave reviews and the fact I wanted something relatively short

Reactions: 6
I think I’ve only read one, maybe two, Colleen Hoover books before, and wasn’t keen, but I’ve just finished Verity and I have to say it did keep me totally engrossed the whole way through. 4/5 only because I knew what the twist was going to be so it wasn’t a huge shock. Might give some of her other stuff a go… I only really picked that one up because of some rave reviews and the fact I wanted something relatively short
I have only read reminders of him and verity and really enjoyed them both! I have a few others of hers on my tbr pile so I hope I enjoy those too

Reactions: 3
On my holidays and absolutely flying through Lessons on Chemistry. Usually the kids stay up later on holidays but I've been rushing them to bed so I can fit in another chapter! Will save my thoughts for book group thread.

Also reading Animal by Sara Pascoe on my Kindle during insomnia/early morning wake ups in bed. It's not a book I usually pick up but I'm finding it very interesting. Crashed out of biology very early at school and it seems to be a good partner with Lessons with Chemistry.

On my holidays and absolutely flying through Lessons on Chemistry. Usually the kids stay up later on holidays but I've been rushing them to bed so I can fit in another chapter! Will save my thoughts for book group thread.
i LOVED lessons in chemistry - such a wonderful book, hope you’re enjoying your holidays too!

finished it ends with us. solid two stars from me - i both removed and added a star for the godawful dialogue 🤣 had an amazon book delivery yesterday so trying to decide what to start next.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.