Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Affiliatedlink

Chatty Member
I listen to Radio 2 All day long until about the end of Jo Whiley show at 9pm. However I’m not a fan of Zoe Ball breakfast show as I can’t stand all the childish CBeebies bits ie.. Show and Tell .. l whoop Di woo “how amazing“ Etc listening to a 5 year old singing or playing the recorder out of tune at 7.45am is total cringe tune out time! Although saying that it it’s totally repetitive on the music playlists by the end of the day.

• Haha
Reactions: 14

Bobby Chariot

VIP Member
Tony Blackburn even had a slight dig at the beeb on his Sounds of The 60's show this morning.
"Don't forget to tune into Gary Davies' Sounds of The 80's tonight, as like me, his show has also been moved"
:love:

• Haha
  • Heart
Reactions: 8

Shineyshine

VIP Member
I’m 30 and no one my age who I know listens to radio 2, I’m in the minority!

@Bobby Chariot you’re right I just mean I wouldn’t go out of my way to tune in if that makes sense
I think this supports what we’re saying. The BBC think that younger people are suddenly going to start listening to radio 2 because they drop their well-loved presenters and bring in some new blood.

I don’t think it’s just the presenters that attract listeners, it’s the playlists too. Radio 2 just doesn’t play the type of music that will attract a younger audience.

There’s already stations to cater for younger listeners - Radio 1, 6 Music, etc. I don’t understand why they can’t have a station that serves a different demographic. Surely there’s enough stations to be room for everything, otherwise they all become the same.

• Heart
Reactions: 7

Mustard

VIP Member
Wanted to mention Jo Good, BBC London presenter, weekday afternoons 130 to 5 pm. Far too long a programme and heavily padded with music. She started her own YouTube channel a while ago. It’s recently showing adverts. And, she did a shopping trip to Sainsbury’s with her elderly mother to supposedly purchase a vegan range of makeup. She’s not vegan, or even vegetarian. She kept going on about how cheap everything was. However, on her Instagram account, Middleaged Minx, she showed the same thing and put Ad at the end. Very duplicitous.

She also did a podcast for her series Dogs and the City featuring Jonathan Saccone Joly and a few of his badly cared for dogs. She even said how great his family was in one of her YouTube postings and that she looked upon them as her surrogate family.
Could it to be to do with the fact that she’s now signed to Gleam too?

It’s extremely disturbing that this BBC employee is bigging up this man and not declaring adverts in YouTube.

She’s not relatable - she buys and flaunts £700 pound shoes in her channel yet she’s got many older women following her.

She also drives around in her Mini with her dog loose in the backseat and filming herself while driving, she’d have very little content without her dog, elderly mother and all the freebies inc theatre tickets from her job.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Angry

Bobby Chariot

VIP Member
Steve Wright is almost unlistenable, sings in a childish voice over virtually every song now.
What a tit.
"Great show Steve...lovin' the show from Tenerife...what have you got The Bobbster??...TIM SMITH!..."do you know Steve that the world revolves on it's axis?...wow!...thanks Janey..."
I really miss Shaun Keaveny on 6Music afternoons.
:(

• Haha
  • Heart

Shineyshine

VIP Member
It’s like the night of the long knives isn’t it. I feel so disappointed in the BBC bosses because I don’t think they have a clue who their audience is. I know who they’d like it to be, and that’s all they seem interested in. Unfortunately those people won’t start listening until they’re much older, and by then it’ll be too late - they need their current audience to carry them through until then but we won’t be around as we’re being driven away.

AllSeeingEye123

VIP Member
  • Haha
  • Wow

OhhBacon

VIP Member
I loved Simon Mayo, but pairing him up with Jo was a disaster. That was the only show left that I did listen to but again I switched to 5 Live for drive home.

Reactions: 6

Blair-Waldorf

VIP Member
I’ve had a feeling Scott mills would be a permanent on R2 for a while but I’m shocked he’s replacing Steve Wright. I thought Vernon kay might, I think he’s great when he covers shows

Mustard

VIP Member
Sunny and Shay last night. Plays a very famous song - There She Goes song by the La’s. Sunny calls them the Elle A’s. 😳

• Haha

chorizorice

I adore the archers & desert island discs the most out of everything, sometimes I’ll listen to Pete Tong but I just love radio 4. Think it’s because mum had it playing my whole life and it feels homey to me. I’m 23 and my friends barely listen to the radio, they all take the piss out of me for being putting radio 4 on 🤣

• Heart

Lola UK

VIP Member
Ugh I hate when they start pushing people onto us! More of Richie is the last thing we want. Zoe annoys me too, why is she always ruffling her papers?!

under the ivy

VIP Member
I’ve listened to R2 for years and I’m 29. I really enjoy Johnny Walker and Steve Wright’s Sunday Love Songs 😂

Richie does my absolute nut in!!! I’ve said before on this thread that Zoe Ball needs to leave. It’s better when Vernon Kay steps in or Gary Davies (oooh! 😂).

Quattro formaggi

Chatty Member
Can’t imagine him on the radio. He used to be our local weather presenter on Look North - you could tell he just wanted to be famous / on the telly, he would’ve done anything given the chance. He used to always try and big up his part and outshine the proper presenters. Right attention seeking wazzock.
Agreed. I can’t stand Richie Anderson either he is so irritating and you can tell he thinks he’s destined for better things than reading the travel.

• Heart

LucyEyelesbarrow

VIP Member
Further to the above, I listened to more of Jo Good's show last night and it got worse. During Chewing the Fat (a discussion segment) journalist, radio & podcast producer Paul Russell talks about the Gurrumul track and describes the artist as aboriginal, which is an acceptable term. However, he later shows his ignorance is on par with Jo Good's, saying he loves the music even though "you have no idea what he's talking about because it's all in aborigine", "a seven-minute track entirely in aborigine". o_O (BBC Sounds 1:17:50)

It's reasonable that he'd not know the specific language (there are many, many Australian Indigenous languages) but it is astonishing that someone in his profession is unaware of the offensive term. He must imagine that such a vast continent has only one generic non-English lingo. It's as ignorant as saying "I don't speak African".

Middle-aged Paul's chosen discussion topic is "Ooohh-you-have-to-be-so-careful-what-you-say-to-young-women-nowadays". Paul revealed that he was told "sweetly" by a 24 year old woman he was working with that "it's not really right" to call her sweetheart, which he had done habitually. He was very lucky that she told him she believed he didn't mean it in the way the another "more aggressive" colleague did. I mean WTF? It's a work place, he was lucky she didn't tell the patronising prick to fuck right off and go to HR when he said it the third time.

Old hippy dolly bird (as she calls herself) Jo Good thought it was "a real shame" Paul couldn't say that any more, after all she knows him and he's not predator. This selfish comment ignores the power balance in play in a work place between a young woman and an old bloke. She must believe that a man not being predatory towards one woman means he's not towards others.

Another contributor (Sally Winsdor, journalist, publicist and broadcaster) and said she has realised that "...young women now... are so switched on to what's offensive and not offensive, what's acceptable and not acceptable...from the age of 11, 12 onwards..." and breaks it to Paul that "it is becoming offensive". I thought she was saying that as if it's a good thing - until she too said it's such a shame and she didn't know how to stop it. o_O She trotted out the old cliche that she likes the bin-man saying "sweetheart" to her. Not quite the same if it's a boss who's old enough to be your dad saying the same thing. Jo repeated her opinion that it's a shame.

Seriously, this lot should fuck off to GB news
Excellent post @VeeJayBee . Something so many men misunderstand is that it was never okay to speak to women in that way, there was just an awful long time when a lot of them told themselves it was absolutely fine. In most circumstances, it really wasn't. Women haven't just decided to invent a load of difficult stuff to trip men up, it's always been there. There is no "nowadays" about any of this.

Also, I would expect the BBC to keep Jo up to date with various descriptive terms for people if she doesn't do this herself.