Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

LucyEyelesbarrow

VIP Member
Lockdown and two years of full-time WFH had me paying much more attention to what/why I listened to the radio; in the past I'd listen to whatever/whenever without thinking too much about it, and had certainly never commented about it online. I liked Robert Elms on a rare weekday off at home pre-Covid. I *used to* enjoy Jo Good's show until I started listening regularly while WFH and came to realise how self-obessessed she was, exacerbated by her increasing commerical social media activity.
Yes, pretty much the same for me. Radio has always been an important part of my life, but it became more so during lockdown. Then there was just an awful lot of extra time to examine what was being broadcast. Some of it was really very good, and important during that time, and some of it wasn't.

Reactions: 5

Shineyshine

VIP Member
I was just thinking that it would be easier to write down the shows/stars that Barry didn't write material for rather than the acts he did write for.
Truly the end of an era.
Yes he was such a prolific writer. I also like the fact that he continued to work and write with newer generations of writers and comedians as they came through, he didn’t just stick with people from back in the day. I think that way he remained current and reached new audiences. It probably helped him stay young, if that makes sense.

monga

VIP Member
It's funny I was just saying to my other half the older you get the further down the radio stations you tune into....I remember when Steve Wright was on radio 1 :ROFLMAO: ...I'm not ready for the Fcken Archers yet btw😂

• Haha

Pat the Dog

VIP Member
Outlook is so good. Snippets from around the world. I listen in the wee small hours if insomnia is kicking in.
I also enjoy Outlook and most BBC WS programmes. Such interesting stories that are rarely covered on the main radio news channels.

I now much prefer listening to a particular topic with facts and analysis than talk radio with callers talking shite out of their backsides.

ktcrg

I love Radio 2 - all my favourite DJs from Radio 1 from my yoof plus extra cultural bits like Jamie Cullum on a Tues eve, Clare Teal late night Sundays and the utterly joyful Liza Tarbuck early Sat eves. And Sundays aren’t Sundays without Michael Ball and Elaine Paige’s show choons... Just Ken Bruce, Jeremy Vine and Steve Wright that I tune out for...

under the ivy

VIP Member
I’ve had a feeling Scott mills would be a permanent on R2 for a while but I’m shocked he’s replacing Steve Wright. I thought Vernon kay might, I think he’s great when he covers shows
I can’t listen to Zoe Ball on a morning but I like it when Vernon covers for her! So much better.

Bobby Chariot

VIP Member
Now Paul o’grady us leaving radio 2! What is going on!
Seemingly the bbc wanted him to share his Sunday time slot with Rob Beckett.
Paul & Malcolm will be sadly missed, Sunday's were great, Johnnie Walker then O'Grady.

This Sunday will be Paul's last show :cautious:

Last edited:
  • Sad

Bobby Chariot

VIP Member
Tony Blackburn's Golden Hour was great again tonight, it has become a regular listen-to on a Friday night here.
Same with Gary Davies' Sounds of the 80's which follows.

VeeJayBee

VIP Member
On her BBC Radio London show last night at 51.20 Jo Good calls the late singer Geoffrey Gurrumul Yunupingu "an aborigine".

This woman boasts of growing up in Australia but again uses this offensive term.

Her ignorance is crushing.
Further to the above, I listened to more of Jo Good's show last night and it got worse. During Chewing the Fat (a discussion segment) journalist, radio & podcast producer Paul Russell talks about the Gurrumul track and describes the artist as aboriginal, which is an acceptable term. However, he later shows his ignorance is on par with Jo Good's, saying he loves the music even though "you have no idea what he's talking about because it's all in aborigine", "a seven-minute track entirely in aborigine". o_O (BBC Sounds 1:17:50)

It's reasonable that he'd not know the specific language (there are many, many Australian Indigenous languages) but it is astonishing that someone in his profession is unaware of the offensive term. He must imagine that such a vast continent has only one generic non-English lingo. It's as ignorant as saying "I don't speak African".

Middle-aged Paul's chosen discussion topic is "Ooohh-you-have-to-be-so-careful-what-you-say-to-young-women-nowadays". Paul revealed that he was told "sweetly" by a 24 year old woman he was working with that "it's not really right" to call her sweetheart, which he had done habitually. He was very lucky that she told him she believed he didn't mean it in the way the another "more aggressive" colleague did. I mean WTF? It's a work place, he was lucky she didn't tell the patronising prick to fuck right off and go to HR when he said it the third time.

Old hippy dolly bird (as she calls herself) Jo Good thought it was "a real shame" Paul couldn't say that any more, after all she knows him and he's not predator. This selfish comment ignores the power balance in play in a work place between a young woman and an old bloke. She must believe that a man not being predatory towards one woman means he's not towards others.

Another contributor (Sally Winsdor, journalist, publicist and broadcaster) and said she has realised that "...young women now... are so switched on to what's offensive and not offensive, what's acceptable and not acceptable...from the age of 11, 12 onwards..." and breaks it to Paul that "it is becoming offensive". I thought she was saying that as if it's a good thing - until she too said it's such a shame and she didn't know how to stop it. o_O She trotted out the old cliche that she likes the bin-man saying "sweetheart" to her. Not quite the same if it's a boss who's old enough to be your dad saying the same thing. Jo repeated her opinion that it's a shame.

Seriously, this lot should fuck off to GB news

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: 4

South Landan Lass

Dear god NO
Nothing would surprise me though.
I listened to the opening of his show tonight, played a tune then talked about himself for about 5 minutes
What is the appeal of this odious man? He ADORES himself, which shows delusion beyond belief - whole situation is not helped by the Beeb’s pandering. I know that Radio 2 can be notorious for preferring celebrities over traditional DJs, but who was Richard prior to having his own gig?

Anders aside, my fondest memories of Radio 2 are from nights working along to Janice Long (wonderful presenter, RIP) followed by ‘the Dark Lord’ Alex Lester - dependable, live company for when I did shift work (many moons ago)

VeeJayBee

VIP Member
I have to say that Maureen from Plaistow is one of the least bothersome callers to me. She’s like a grandmotherly figure, but yes she is on a lot. The one I have to switch off is the woman from Sutton with a Yorkshire accent who is usually calling Jim Davis and Duncan Barkes. She yaps away in a monologue and they can’t get a word in.
I can see why Maureen has her fans, I'm not one of them unfortunately. I don't know the Sutton woman, perhaps presenters like such yappers so they can take a break!

This is off topic but I'll direct this to you Mustard if you don't mind as I'm sure you will have an answer. As a new user here I don't know how an SM personality gets to have their own thread. I am thinking that Jo Good needs one. If it is based on followers JG has 14K and a blue tick on Insta, 24K on YT, and is represented by an influencers' agency. I was incensed watching her latest YouTube video @middleagedminx where she is filming herself and looking into the camera while driving along the Marylebone Road. She was driving westbound from Baker Street, took the slip lane to Edgware Road, then crossed it onto the lane that leads towards Paddington Station. She was looking left into the camera as she was approaching the point where traffic enters on the right from the flyover, all the while talking to the camera and trying to pay attention to her satnav. I am surprised such a professional Londoner needs a satnav to get from Marylebone to her destination of Kensal Rise which is barely 3 miles away but if she was unsure she should not have been filming while trying to faff her way there. If an accident had taken place her behaviour might well be considered as driving without due care and attention.

VeeJayBee

VIP Member
I don't listen to Radio London, but I have never heard anything like that on Radio 2, 4 or World Service before.
The only things I've heard promoted are things relevant to the stations, BBC Sounds etc or maybe The Archers catch up.
Thanks for that @Bobby Chariot I don't really listen the BBC very widely so I need another PoV.

I listened to Outlook, the one with the locked-in syndrome, and the M15 agent undercover as a homeless person were very interesting.

Ha I have no idea why I typed Kitchen Confidential.
Poor Anthony Bourdain. ☹ I find it hard to watch his shows now.

This thread hasn't yet been treated to any screenshots of the shy and retiring Jo Good so here she is talking about her You Tube channel, the one she has been namechecking for years on her BBC London radio show (despite saying recently that she "thinks" she is not allowed to mention it 🤨)

20211023_233446.jpg

Bobby Chariot

VIP Member
Dermot O'leary must have nipped out after he started playing U2 'where the streets have no name' at the wrong speed this morning.
I thought my radio was playing up.

• Haha