BBC Radio

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.
New to Tattle Life? Click "Order Thread by Most Liked Posts" button below to get an idea of what the site is about:
OMG! I'm so pleased you said this as I was also very surprised with his choice of music.
The old adage of never judging a book by its cover I suppose.
Got to admit Desert Island Discs is probably my favourite thing on radio & has been for years.
The fact that nowadays you can listen to any episode on the BBC site is just brilliant.
I think the listener can learn lots about the guest through their music etc.

• Heart
Reactions: 2
Is it just me or does Sharleen spitiri Aka Texas have some connections with BBC Radio And BBC in general? She’s never off it! She’s not done anything significant for yonks yet almost seems on a weekly basis she’s on someone’s show, or if there’s some live BBC concert she’s on it!

Reactions: 4
Is it just me or does Sharleen spitiri Aka Texas have some connections with BBC Radio And BBC in general? She’s never off it! She’s not done anything significant for yonks yet almost seems on a weekly basis she’s on someone’s show, or if there’s some live BBC concert she’s on it!
She is on a helluva lot.

Eddi (bloody) Reader or Ricky Ross of Deacon Blue fame I seem to hear promos or ads for.

Sunny and Shay last night. Plays a very famous song - There She Goes song by the La’s. Sunny calls them the Elle A’s. 😳

• Haha
Reactions: 6
Sunny and Shay last night. Plays a very famous song - There She Goes song by the La’s. Sunny calls them the Elle A’s. 😳
Doesn't surprise me. I used to think Sunny was the thick one, but Shay is often just as ignorant. They are both as bad as each other so it surprises me how long they have lasted... then again, maybe not with how BBC Radio London is going...

However, TBF, Sunny is dyslexic so if he was just reading something it could explain his mistake, but even so...

Last edited:
Why is BBC London news telling us about a statement the Duke and Duchess have put out about Afghanistan? I don’t care that Hazza ‘served’ there. He’s not in the military anymore and has abandoned this country and the charities he used to help.

I originally posted this on the Jo Good thread, but thought I should copy it here:

I am so angry and upset about the way BBC Radio London presenter Jo Good handled an interview with 14-year-old Jonathan Slater yesterday. She spoke to him and his dad, Brett Slater, about the 1,000 mile bike ride Jonathan is doing to raise money for refurbishment of his scout hall, the 7th Hanwell.

Jonathan has hydrocephalus which affects his balance, and he is autistic which affects his communication and social skills.

The interview was on BBC Radio London on Monday 16th August and can be replayed on BBC Sounds, starting at 03:07:00.

Father Brett is his son’s support on the challenge. Jo opened the interview by twice calling Jonathan by his father’s name Brett. She was corrected (presumably by a producer) at 03:07:45, and said, “I should have checked this out myself”. This could have been very confusing to Jonathan, who deserved the courtesy of the interviewer being properly prepared.

At 03:11:25. In relation to father and son working together, Jo Good asked, "Have you fallen out Jonathan?" Jonathan, having taken the question literally as some autistic people might, replied "Fallen out of what?". At this stage Jo gave a snorting snigger and then asks while still chuckling “Have you ever had an argument?...” It seemed as if Brett was sensing Jonathan was becoming uncomfortable at being laughed at, so interjected, “As a father I’ve got to come in here on this one, I am so proud of him and he is taking everything in his stride”.

I feel that Jo Good, in her role as a BBC interviewer, would benefit from awareness training to be more understanding of interviewees with autism. I will be contacting the BBC to let them know this. Anyone else wishing to do the same could do so easily, all the details required can be cut and pasted from this post.

I will be making a donation to Jonathan’s cause, and doubling it on behalf of Jo Good. If anyone reading this knows Jo Good please let her know that reimbursement is not required, but she might like to make her own donation.

I will not link to Jonathan’s Just Giving page in case it is not permitted on this forum but it is called “He will never ride a bike”.

Last edited:
The Archers is my guilty pleasure.
I've always heard about the archers, but I'm 32 and never really listened to it. The other week I had BBC radio 4 on and there was a conversation going on that didn't sound like a radio show, but acting. I then looked up the schedule and it was the archers. I don't know why, but I started to enjoy it. It's not something I generally listen to as I prefer watching a show, rather than listening to it. I try listen now n then when I get the chance. I can't say I know exactly what's going on though. You have to have been following it to understand it, right? Or wrong?

• Haha
Reactions: 3
I've always heard about the archers, but I'm 32 and never really listened to it. The other week I had BBC radio 4 on and there was a conversation going on that didn't sound like a radio show, but acting. I then looked up the schedule and it was the archers. I don't know why, but I started to enjoy it. It's not something I generally listen to as I prefer watching a show, rather than listening to it. I try listen now n then when I get the chance. I can't say I know exactly what's going on though. You have to have been following it to understand it, right? Or wrong?
It's fairly easy to get into. During the pandemic last year they did these awful monologues where it was just the characters talking to themselves, so I switched off and didn't return till they started the proper episodes again. I soon got back into it.

The Archers website has a handy character guide if you ever get lost, but it's mostly just a few farming families! It's very easy to listen to - there's a big storyline at the moment with Alice who's an alcoholic, but I'm sure will get help eventually.

It seems as if Jason Solomons is no longer the film reviewer on Robert Elms' BBC Radio London show. Has he been unceremoniously dropped? Or maybe he is just travelling more now and is unavailable. He's one of my favourites, and I always enjoyed when he sat in for Robert, but now they seem to use Claira Hermet to cover, who I find quite flat.

Beth Webb who did the film reviews today seemed a lot sharper than the chap (sorry I can't recall his name) who did the film review slot recently.

Reactions: 1
It seems as if Jason Solomons is no longer the film reviewer on Robert Elms' BBC Radio London show. Has he been unceremoniously dropped? Or maybe he is just travelling more now and is unavailable. He's one of my favourites, and I always enjoyed when he sat in for Robert, but now they seem to use Claira Hermet to cover, who I find quite flat.

Beth Webb who did the film reviews today seemed a lot sharper than the chap (sorry I can't recall his name) who did the film review slot recently.
I rarely listen to Robert anymore these days, but it would have been last Thursday or perhaps the one before, Robert said Jason was still travelling/on holiday... I didn't know what to make of this as Robert tends to be coy about any changes.

I have to admit I much prefer Jason than Robert - considering Robert has been broadcasting for years he often still sounds very awkward, especially when something goes wrong. He can't ad lib so quickly plays a track. Whereas Jason sounds far more natural and takes things in his stride.

Claira Hermet is another 'youngster' who seems to be covering a lot for the main presenters these days.

I also can't remember the name of the bloke who used to cover Jason's film reviews, but it must be the one with they very annoying laugh.

I think the reviewer/critic you are talking about is Nicholas Barber.

There’san amusing picture of Robert Elms on his Insta page at a Comme des Garçons show in the Eighties.

I just listened to a good interview with Harriet Harman on Eddie Nestor’s programme re Afghanistan. It was at the beginning.

Status
Thread locked. We start a new thread when they have over 1000 posts, click the blue button to see all threads for this topic and find the latest open thread.