Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Fascinating interview with Tareena Shakil on Woman's Hour just now. She joined Isis from England, then came back and was in prison.
The interviewer was Anita Rani and her icey dislike absolutely oozed through every question. AR said in one question that women like Tareena had made life even harder for muslim women in the UK, which I think explained her approach.
Will be on Sounds - worth a listen.

Reactions: 6

Bobby Chariot

VIP Member
I realise people on here don't really listen to the BBC overnight, but I don't live in London so can't comment on the daytime... Anyway I want to another rant! I have never known anyone employ someone for a job that is never there.. Hayley Hassle is meant to be on at a weekend overnight but for the past few months has hardly ever been there! I appreciate it is not her only job, but surely they went in to the ins and outs of whether the schedule would fit her when they hired her. They took Jim Davis off for someone who is never there! Also Dotan could get on with listening to him if: He didn't say the telephone number every 2 seconds.. He didn't sing.. He didn't quote Shakespeare when the caller was on about a totally different subject just to show how clever he is. I have to keep turning him off nowadays which is a shame.
I stopped tuning into bbc 5live long ago, Dotun became unlistenable through the night.
He just mumbles and waffles on, there was no structure to the show at times.

Bobby Chariot

VIP Member
I adore the archers & desert island discs the most out of everything, sometimes I’ll listen to Pete Tong but I just love radio 4. Think it’s because mum had it playing my whole life and it feels homey to me. I’m 23 and my friends barely listen to the radio, they all take the piss out of me for being putting radio 4 on 🤣
The hour between 5am - 6am on Radio4 is great, the handover from the WorldService, Shipping Forecast, the papers, news/sport, birdsong of the day etc :love:

Bobby Chariot

VIP Member
Never been the same since Simon Mayo was pushed out the door.
Heard that Tony Blackburn's Golden Hour is moving to a Sunday.
I'd rather Wright stayed instead of Mills taking the show to be honest, bland springs to mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I think Paddy O’Connell should have his own show on Radio 2 I always enjoy when he fills in for others.
Paddy O'Connell is great isn't he?
The best broadcaster on BBC Radio by far. I think I said before here he reminds me of Eddie Mair with his wit and intelligence.
I didn't know he filled in on R2.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Yes, I agree.
Vine is still off this week & next I believe, Paddy O'Connell this week Tina Dahealy next, so 'every cloud' and all that 😁
Paddy O'Connell is great. The best presenter on BBC radio imo. Up there with Eddie Mair who the Beeb were fools to let go.

Mustard

VIP Member
Jo Good is having Mrs. Hinch on her programme again today. Hunch is another stablemate of hers from Gleam. So wrong.

Mustard

VIP Member
Eddie Nestor today in his discussion about Sarah Everard, the police and ‘gallows humour’ said that as an actor in Casualty he went to hospitals and put a coat on in a corner of a room to watch people die where he heard gallows humour from the hospital staff. WTF Eddie, why did you need to insert that into today’s discussion ahead of Sarah’s killer’s sentencing?

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Sick

Wood79

Chatty Member
I realise people on here don't really listen to the BBC overnight, but I don't live in London so can't comment on the daytime... Anyway I want to another rant! I have never known anyone employ someone for a job that is never there.. Hayley Hassle is meant to be on at a weekend overnight but for the past few months has hardly ever been there! I appreciate it is not her only job, but surely they went in to the ins and outs of whether the schedule would fit her when they hired her. They took Jim Davis off for someone who is never there! Also Dotan could get on with listening to him if: He didn't say the telephone number every 2 seconds.. He didn't sing.. He didn't quote Shakespeare when the caller was on about a totally different subject just to show how clever he is. I have to keep turning him off nowadays which is a shame.

WeepingCassandra

VIP Member
I’ve totally turned off radio 1 now except for Greg James in the morning. Sad that Scott Mills and Chris Stark have gone. Vick and Jordan have to be the most irritating presenters out there, they waffle about the most inane shite and can’t get a link right to save their lives.

VeeJayBee

VIP Member
I am fairly certain that it's general BBC policy that its radio presenters don't read out fawning, complimentary emails about themselves. Of course listeners will email in and add "I love the show", "it's great listening to you" or something similar. I've heard presenters (eg Vanessa Feltz) say things like "thanks for your email Sue and all the lovely things you said" but they refrain from going in to detail.

So just for the record I want to record here the lastest self-shout out by Jo Good on BBC Radio London. She regularly uses the BBC's airwaves to trumpet how great others think she is.

On her show last Thursday night Jo Good reads an email from listener Stephanie who wrote "Just wanna say Jo, I LOVE LOVE LOVE listening to your show". Jo breaks away to say "- sorry I know I'm not meant to read out compliments BUT I DO!"

Jo continues reading Stephanie's gushing email "...you're very uplifting funny, natural and charismatic". Jo then chimes in with faux restraint: "Sorry I wasn't planning on reading this but I will keep going..." and so continues reading the email "...you're exactly the sort of person I would be friends with which makes you ideal for the radio because it's so enjoyable and fun to listen to you I sometimes forget I'm listening to the radio it just sounds like I'm listening to a friend chatting away thanks for having such interesting guests... thanks for always being so sunny...you are light heaterted and good for the soul..."

As you read the above account you must remember that is what Jo Good read out about herself . She unashamedly takes up airtime to tell us how fantastic she is, airtime given to her on the licence payers' dime, which she uses to serve herself. In reply to another complimetary email, Jo Good thanked the writer - who is a radio listener and follower of her social media - for being "...reallly invested in me". Outrageous!

'Her' BBC radio show is there for the benefit of the licence fee-paying listening public in the local region, and Jo Good is hired to help facilitate that objective. The show is not there for her to personally seek listener's "commitment" or "loyalty" (or other cult-like words she uses), nor is it there to cross-pollinate the advertising channel she runs on YouTube which she often refers to.

Last edited:
  • Wow
  • Heart

clueless

Chatty Member
I like Graham Norton and am looking forward to him being back, but I also like Alan and Mel (mainly for Alan, love him!). They should maybe get their own slot somewhere?! Rylan is good too, he's another radio natural. I also really like Craig Charles!

Radio 2 has been a constant throughout lockdown for me. Pretty much on morning to night in my kitchen. Love jo whiley, Bob Harris, Alan and Mel, Rylan and pick of the pops. Also a big fan of the bbc sounds app, so many shows to choose from.
Same here, the radio is switched on in our kitchen first thing in the morning, and only turned off when we're going to bed! I love pick of the pops too, I liked Tony Blackburn doing it.

Sara Cox is excellent, a radio natural, as you say. I loved Simon Mayo’s drive time show but it was a disaster when he and Jo Wiley co-presented. The chemistry just didn’t happen.
OJ Borg’s midnight to 3am show is worth a listen if you’re awake in the wee small hours. I think he’ll get a daytime slot before too long.
I've heard a bit of OJ Borg when I've been up late but haven't listened to the whole show, I'll have to check it out properly!

VeeJayBee

VIP Member
Further to earlier discussion on this thread as to whether BBC presenters are allowed to refer to their personal social media accounts while on air:

On BBC Radio London this morning Eddie Nestor was talking to Carrie Grant who has been awarded an MBE for her contribution to Music, Media and Charity. Eddie said he'd only just become aware of her award after seeing news about her collecting it (which I found strange as they are on the same radio station). It starts at 00:37:10 on BBC Sounds.

Eddie didn't take long to mention he has an MBE, talking about when his was awarded, with the former head of "this place" asking "What for?". Eddie told him, "David, I've got an MBE". Presumably he was referring to David Robey.

Carrie very modestly replied that people might be wondering why she got an MBE as her music was a while back but then explained that her main focus and passion is charity. She then spoke so genuinely about her charity work, not bigging herself up but sounding genuinely grateful to have a profile to be an effective advocate for other people.

At 00:46:15 Eddie asked Carrie to "tell everybody where they can catch you", Carrie replied graciously "...on Saturday mornings on Radio London...". She was not arrogant, pushy or defiant enough to give out her social media handle on air but Eddie said "Let's do this properly please, I have someone, Sadia, standing in front of me now...she's the producer, the news editor of the station and she wants us to absolutely, definitely, positively 100% to tell everybody where they can catch you". Carrie then, after apparently having been express permission by someone with authority, gave her Twitter handle "@carriegrant1".

I think the above exchange answers the questions we've been asking on these threads, as to whether BBC presenters are allowed to direct listeners to their personal social media channels. The fact that Eddie sought and declared Sadia's unequivocal permission indicates that they are not ordinarily allowed to.

Carrie Grant runs a group supporting 150 families who have children with autism, she has four children with special needs and campaigns for people with invisible disabilities, and as a person with Crohn's also advocates for suffers of that disease, and colitis. Carrie was was reticent in giving out her social media handle until clearly instructed to to so by a person in authority. BBC Radio London listeners might contrast this with the example of another presenter on the same station, Jo Good, who has persistently used the BBC airwaves to promote her personal social media channels (which are monetised, herself being the benficiary).

Last edited:
  • Wow

CCnow

Cannot stand Steve Wright. What has he got on the bbc?? He's been doing the same routine since the 80's. Singing over the songs urrrgh. So glad I have the radio to myself at work atm he gets booted off straight away.

My day - Greg James -r1 Ken Bruce - r2, then back over to Scott and Chris on r1. Like listening to Jo Whiley now in the evening shes much better in that slot, love Rylan at the weekend and pick of the pops!

VeeJayBee

VIP Member
Jo Good's BBC Radio London late show is becoming increasingly desperate.

I thought we were well over tales from The Queue but Jo Good was squealing with excitement about her first guest on last night's show. The guy was billed as being "next to" David Beckham in The Queue. Turns out he was about 30 people behind him.

Other guests were some women promoting their podcast on the topic of 'wellness'. Yawn.

Jo told us she's received an upsetting letter, apparently a speeding fine that's escalated, claiming she never received the original infringment notice of the (alleged) incident on Park Lane. She should pay up and feel lucky police didn't investigate the footage she filmed herself and posted on her YouTube vlog where (it appears) she is driving on Park Lane with both hands off the steering wheel while looking into the camera.

• Wow
  • Haha

Bobby Chariot

VIP Member
Tune into radio 2 this Bank Holiday Monday for "Richie Anderson's All Request Road Trip" 5-7pm folks.
You'd never know he is appearing on the upcoming new series of Strictly Come Dancing :unsure:

• Haha
  • Sick
Have to say Pick of The Pops has picked up again in recent weeks but then when the years are 95, 78, 00 and 01 all very memorable for me ( sigh mostly via love affairs good and bad) then I was happy. The 95 chart I even knew the flipping rundown.

Then into Rylan and the brilliant Liza T and it was a good Saturday just gone!

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
Paddy O'Connell is a massive Eurovision fan 😂
Broadcasting House is a good programme. So much better than the equivalent on Saturday morning with the Rev Richard Coles, who always manages to make everything about him and who he met when he was in The Communards.