Notice
Thread ordered by most liked posts - View normal thread.

VeeJayBee

VIP Member
Jo Good, ex BBC Radio London, claims to have 5 million (!!!) listeners to the show she now does Fridays and Saturdays at 10pm.

Even though she's now broadcast nationally via BBC local radio, I find it hard to believe that 8% of the UK population tune in to hear her taking calls from her luvvie mates and a few regular callers, as well as her constant mentions of "if you follow me on my social media" seemingly in an attempt to get eyeballs to the ads, promos, partnerships and sponsored content she peddles on YouTube and Instagram.

Does anyone know how she arrived at this 5mill figure?

• Haha
  • Wow
  • Sad
Reactions: 3

esoes

Chatty Member
Is anyone missing Scott Mills at this point or are we all in agreement that Radio 2 is better without him? Never liked him on it and never thought he was the right fit. Hope it’s reflected in the listening views.

Totally agree. I just don't think his show works. I was never a Vernon fan and have even taken to him quicker as Scott started a year before. I always think Scott sounds like he CBA to be there too. I'm enjoying Spooney and hope they look at changing the afternoon slot.

Traazers

VIP Member
They seem to have done the same with Dean too! I always switch off R1 at lunch time when I hear the 1pm changeover, but the intro always says Dean's 'under the weather ' or on holiday 🤣
Just cull them and be done with it!
I genuinely can't listen to Dean and he's even worse with Vicky, they're AWFUL

• Haha

Traazers

VIP Member
yep - they always introduce the chancellor like “the important man who’s in charge of all our money-woney” and it drives me crazy. while i know the radio 1 demographic is younger, they’re not toddlers.

i am accepting that i’m just too old for radio 1 now though 🥲 can’t give up greg in the mornings just yet but literally every other show (except maybe matt and molly) is like a group of work experience kids have somehow gotten hold of a microphone.
THIS!!! This is exactly how I feel too! I can't stand listening to any of it except as you say, Greg and Matt and Molly. Molly irritates me sometimes though too but I like how much fun they seem to have so prefer them together to when Matt is on on his own, yesterday's show Matt was on great form, he seemed almost giddy and was really funny

VicksterIcon

Chatty Member
Yep same here - Greg, Matt and Mollie (just). Vick Hope is actually quite funny but I think she would be better with her own show.
I have to switch over the others - when Greg goes I’ll be done with R1 I think.
It’s telling that they have moved into putting “DJ’s” on in 2s or 3s, like they can’t cope with a show by themselves!
I’m 52 and love Matt & Mollie. I love their party anthems on a Friday and makes you want to go out but then you drop once the chart kicks in!

Agree about Vick - she was great with Jordan, good chemistry but she seems lost now with Katie and Jamie. Although this week has been better without Jamie. If he hadn’t have filled in for Mollie’s maternity leave he wouldn’t be where he is today.

LaBlonde

VIP Member
It's not your age, radio 1 has just made really bad choices with djs recently. They range from bearable but meh (Katie thiselton, Vic hope, Charlie, Ricky/melvin) to shockingly awful (Jamie Lang, Dean and Vicky, Danny Beard, the red haired chart guy). They need to do a massive cull and then some sort of X factor talent search for new DJs, it would be fun!
they absolutely have. i’ve been going to work early the past few saturdays and have been subjected to sam and danny - who spend most of their time wondering what certain buttons do, talking over the end of songs and not seeming to know anything about music when they do a music based quiz 🤣 jamie laing is also just all wrong for radio. he worked with matt edmonson just about but it’s like he’s an annoying kid that vick and katie are having to babysit.

it needs a huge cull. the quality there rn is godawful.

Jelly Bean

VIP Member
I rarely listen to R2 in the morning, so have no idea how she compares to the frantic Zoe Ball, but caught Gaby Roslin this morning and was not impressed. She talks about herself constantly. I know most DJs do tbh but she seems really grating for some reason.

IndominusRex

VIP Member
Greg, Matt, Mollie, Vick and Katie are the only listenable ones (I do love Matt and Mollie so they’re the only ones I actively switch on for).
Dean and Vicky, Nat o Leary and all the others sound as though they’ve never actually even listened to the radio before.

Multi-21

VIP Member
he has an incredibly genuine warmth to him - he’s lovely to listen to because it’s like listening to a friend tell you about their day. just a very natural presenter.

by contrast, i had radio 1 on in the car earlier and the presenter (whoever she was) played lorde’s green light and said “wow that song always makes me think about, like, that feeling when you’re at a green light, waiting to go, you know?” as if that’s not literally what the song is about 🤣
I heard that and was thinking WTF? It was Nat O’Leary who is chums with Dean and Vicky which says it all about her

TheStrawberryThief

Johnnie Walker sounded frail (voice wise) these past few weeks, his Sunday 70's show is pre-recorded quite frequently now.
Do hope he's ok.
Me and my mum have been saying that for the last few weeks. He suddenly sounds a lot older than he used to. I hope he is okay. I don't think he has sounded himself since Christmas.

I have been feeling sad for him recently. He frequently mentions people in the music industry who have passed away recently. These people will be his peers, friends or people he has interviewed in the past. I suppose that is one of the downsides of being old 😕, some people go first to get everything ready for those that come after. It must suck though.

His interview with Steve Harley today was really fun, but it made it really obvious how much his voice has changed.

• Sad

NowIsGood

Chatty Member
They are going soon aren’t they? June?!
Dean going onto early breakfast which luckily for me is easily avoided. I detest getting in the car at lunchtime and them just spewing crap. They couldn’t even work their headphones today and had to play a song while they sorted it out… wtf 😂
Lol but think of the poor shift workers who not only have to be up at 4am, but now have to listen to Dean 😬🤣

• Haha

Traazers

VIP Member
He has a show on ITV2 called dress to impress, not my usual sort of show at all, but his narration is so funny taking the pi*s out of the contestants, I'd really recommend if you want a giggle!
Amazing thanks, I'm always looking for non-stress inducing things to watch of an evening!

FakeSmile

VIP Member
It's not like Scott and Chris didn't give many months notice they were leaving either! Just putting Dean and Vicky together for a 5 minute test would have made it plainly obvious they disliked each other and weren't skilled enough for such a prime slot!
I think Aled Haydn Jones’ tenure at the top of R1 has been an absolute disaster so this doesn’t surprise me in the slightest.

LadyMcMuckFace

Just listening to Jonny Walker on BBC Radio 2 and he sounded close to tears reading out one dedication. Haven’t listened to him for a while and sadly he does sound more frail than I remember 😢
---
Now they’re playing a pre-record with Lulu from 2010

Last edited:
  • Sad

Shineyshine

VIP Member
Might be an unpopular opinion but I’m sick of the Eurovision overkill on R2, especially them shoving Richie on every half hour.
I caught him on the telly the other day and he was saying he’s part of the main presenting team this year 🤦‍♀️ I don’t have R2 on much during the day now, so thankfully I’ve dodged this particular bullet!

Bobby Chariot

VIP Member
Me and my mum have been saying that for the last few weeks. He suddenly sounds a lot older than he used to. I hope he is okay. I don't think he has sounded himself since Christmas.

I have been feeling sad for him recently. He frequently mentions people in the music industry who have passed away recently. These people will be his peers, friends or people he has interviewed in the past. I suppose that is one of the downsides of being old 😕, some people go first to get everything ready for those that come after. It must suck though.

His interview with Steve Harley today was really fun, but it made it really obvious how much his voice has changed.
I think Steve Wright passing away recently affected Johnnie and one or two others.